PQ-17: Arctic Naval Operations 1941-1943» Forums » General

Subject: Lützow - ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard J. Grandia
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having just played PQ-17 again this weekend and reading up on some of the background, I discovered that, according to the Wikipedia article, Lützow was sold to the Soviet Union in an unfinished condition in the spring of 1940 and actually fired her guns in anger against the Germans in a supporting role during the defense of Leningrad in 1941!

So shouldn't the counter be red, and named Petropavlovsk? ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Janiec
United States
(Teller County)
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
That Lützow was a heavy cruiser sister ship of Prinz Eugen. When she was sold in February 1940, panzerschiff Deutschland was renamed Lützow (supposedly to avoid the negative propaganda if a ship named "Germany" was lost, potentially also in an effort to confuse British intelligence).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris Janiec wrote:
That Lützow was a heavy cruiser sister ship of Prinz Eugen. When she was sold in February 1940, panzerschiff Deutschland was renamed Lützow (supposedly to avoid the negative propaganda if a ship named "Germany" was lost, potentially also in an effort to confuse British intelligence).
Result: 1 wargamer was confused. 80 years later. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard J. Grandia
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris Janiec wrote:

blush Erm ... Thanks for clearing that up. The first wikipedia page I found on Lützow (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_cruiser_Lützow_(1939)) didn't mention the renaming of the Deutschland. I knew that Deutschland had been renamed because of the prestige issue if she were to be sunk, but I failed to connect the dots.

The game was fun. We didn't complete it, because my opponent had to leave around 6 PM (on the clock, not the turn). Scenario II: PQ-12: Tirpitz's narrow escape. As it happened she didn't have to escape anything, because I managed to roll a "breakdown" random event and Tirpitz drew the winning ticket soblue. OTOH, I managed to sortie Scheer and the DD's, staged a miniature Atlantic Breakout (managed to close with QP-8, achieve Surprise because of Night and Reduced Visibility and sank four MX and Nigeria. By that time PQ-12 was approaching the North Cape, but the Victorious-TF was getting close to Fuel Warning and was going to have to turn back before long, and by that time the Wolfpack Welcoming Committee was lying in wait just off Kirkenes, so they probably wouldn't have made it into Murmansk without losing a few loaded MX. At this point, due to the time and the VP situation, the Allies conceded. All in all, a well-spent and exciting Sunday afternoon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.