6 Posts

Rise and Decline of the Third Reich» Forums » Rules

Subject: Activating Vichy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Schweppe
msg tools
Foreign Aid requires SR.

Say England has sent 6 BRPs to Vichy. The German wants to activate Vichy and sends 6 BRPs to Vichy. He then pays 5 BRP to roll Vichy Activation and rolls a 6. Both these activities happen in the Construction phase. Do the 6 BRP reach Vichy that turn (thus vichy is activated) or next turn (which would allow England to send more BRP and possibly not allow Vichy to be activated)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh my God They Banned Kenny
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Although the BRP grants use SR they do not occur in the SR phase. They take place in the construction phase, immediately before Vichy activation. If the die roll is successful, activation would occur immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Edwards
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're wrong here, Kenny. The actual activation wouldn't occur until the next German game turn per 33.63. There's no more rolling on the Vichy activation table as the Germans were successful but in this example the British would get another turn to pump in foreign aid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rokeater wrote:
I think you're wrong here, Kenny. The actual activation wouldn't occur until the next German game turn per 33.63. There's no more rolling on the Vichy activation table as the Germans were successful but in this example the British would get another turn to pump in foreign aid.

Sorry, but I don't see how 33.63 supports that claim. The die roll has been made, and foreign aid granted up to that point in time modifies the die roll. Once a successful activation die roll has been made, I see nothing to indicate that foreign aid can be granted after that and somehow nullify the successful die roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Edwards
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Per TDQB 33.6 and 49.4 Exactly what is the interrelationship between Foreign Aid and the Vichy/Deactivation Table?
A. The two rules call for two separate and distinct die rolls. First, either side may roll on the "Current Status" of Vichy France on the Activation/Deactivation Table. Foreign Aid is ignored at this point in the Vichy activation process. Once either side succeeds, the result is unchangeable and the table may no longer used. If Germany succeed, Vichy becomes "due to activate" and a second die roll is made during the next Axis player turn under 33.63 using any Foreign Aid modifiers applicable. There is no further cost to Germany for any of the 33.63 die rolls (other than additional Foreign Aid grants, if any).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Interesting, so it seems that the DQB has changed the rule. Rule 49.42 states "In addition to possible restraints to Vichy activation due to Foreign Aid..." followed by the familiar table of game situation modifiers. So it seems clear that the original rules contemplated foreign aid affecting the Vichy activation die roll, but the DQB clearly states that it does not. Rule 49.4 states "....If, after additions and subtractions as shown in 49.42, the roll is '6' or more, Vichy is activated as a German Minor Ally."

It seems clear to me that the original rules contemplated only a single die roll, affected by foreign aid and the other Vichy specific modifiers. However,for whatever reason(s), the DQB appears to have changed this to two distinct die rolls. So if only the first die roll mentioned has taken place, then foreign aid should not have been applied to it, but all existing foreign aid remains in place and there is another die roll on the following Axis turn. However, the die roll to be made in this second step is presumably the die roll mentioned in 33.63, which must be '1' or higher (as opposed to the '6' or higher mentioned in 49.4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.