BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Strategy-heavy 3P game for someone with odd taste rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
As you might know, I've been thinking about getting a new game for a very, very long time. Other than A Most Dangerous Time, which I love but barely get to play, the last game I got was three years ago. My birthday is approaching quick and I think it may be the time to actually go and get something new.

Some pointers:

a) My group is composed of exactly 3 people. This is why Genoa goes unplayed and why I haven't bought Cosmic Encounter.
b) One of the players hates the feeling of being "out of the game" and I dislike it too. So this is something to avoid
c) We are very competitive players. We met through Netrunner tournaments and we like discussing strategy and potential moves.
d) I would like a game in which you build/own something and have a position on the board.
e) Some games I like are: Netrunner, Steam (favourite game), The Republic of Rome, 18XX. Martin Wallace is my favourite designer. I like a lot of old, monster stuff I'll never play (Civilization, Dune, Revolution: The Dutch Revolt etc.)
f) Some of the games my group plays that I like: Chicago Express, Tragedy Looper, Blood Rage, Terraforming Mars Also a bunch of ok-ish coop games.
g) I like games which are very interactive and a bit mean.

Some stuff I'm considering:

Antiquity
The Great Zimbabwe
Three Kingdom Redux (Told the core game is great, but a bit underdeveloped)
Pax Porifiana/Pax Renaissance
A Handful of Stars (Looks _great_ but I haven't heard anything about it until yesterday. I think my group likes deckbuilding, too)
Yspahan (Cute, but I need the expansion too and that's a pain in the ass to get)
Continental Divide (Moar train game, I guess)

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Kortegaard
Denmark
Kbh N
flag msg tools
Maybe take a look at Churchill and Cry Havoc.
Seems we have similar tastes and group, I think two big questions to answer is the pace you go through games with, and how you like your assymetry.
My group goes through games pretty quickly and it leads to some games falling flat, because you really need 4-5 games to get to grips with strategies and counter-strategies, get to now cards/capailities and so on.

good luck hunting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
Strategy heavy 3p game that is very interactive and mean.
Any of the Pax games you listed and also Pax Pamir
Great Zimbabwe, as you listed, is a great choice.
Conflict heavy deck building, where you have a position on the board: Time of Crisis
Maria must also be listed. I think it's getting a reprint soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Connell
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigris & Euphrates
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylus is strategy-heavy, mean, and best at 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm trying to reform though.
badge
On the restless road to nowhere, there's no certain peace it seems.
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 on the Pax games.

You might also try Archipelago (the War and Peace expansion makes it meaner) with three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B B

Baldwin City
KS
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Maria
Triumph & Tragedy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sibley
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Unfair? Not extremely heavy and no board but definitely mean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three Kingdoms Redux sounds perfect, since it's exactly 3 players, has lots of strategy and the bid mechanic allows more meanness than typical Euro-blocking.

Shameless plug:

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/reviewcorner/three-kingdoms-r...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Iordache
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brass?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if it will be "mean" enough for your group, but ZhanGuo is strategy-heavy, works with 3P, requires you to build/own on the board, and is quite competitive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Exactly 3 people and a fan of Martin Wallace suggests older Treefrog titles like After the Flood and God's Playground. Of course these days those titles don't come cheap... but hey, it's your b-day so splurge! Then there are things like Ships and Brass.

The Great Zim is of course an excellent choice all around, but you're not exactly building something you yourself own. The space is shared and can be used by others. Everyone has to pay (you too!) and things can get blocked that way.

Reef Encounter too would work marvellously at three. Forget about the expansion, tho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Innovation

The BBG consensus is that it is best with 2. I disagree and think that 3 is it. No board, but you are building your own stuff. Very interactive -- indeed, the people who prefer the 2p version mostly do so because they don't want as much interactivity as the 3p game gives them. All the meanness you could ever want.

There are scores of ways to win this game. Great room for devising strategies. And then watch them get shot to pieces as somebody finds the mean way to stop this. Plays quickly enough that 'I want a rematch!' is easily accomodated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Evans
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
www.evanswhanau.co.nz
badge
...um, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps Three Kingdoms Redux.

Balanced for three. Strategic (and heavy) worker-placement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
Pax Porfiriana
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
The End of the Triumvirate
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Ogre or Sequence are games you may like to try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hansa Teutonica sounds right up your alley. Very dry, but heavy on interaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3p game, building/position on a board, interaction and possible meanness.

I'd go for:

Caylus - classic worker placement, but surprisingly cutthroat for that sort of game. You're not necessarily stabbing each other all the time but there's an underlying tension of distrust when it comes time to move the provost.

Tigris and Euphrates - The stabbiest tile placement game ever.

Great Western Trail - works great at 3p. It's not super-interactive compared to T&E but there's some sutble stuff you can do where you can build buildings to slow people down or cost them money, and you can also select tiles for the board that block or hinder another player's progress.

Mombasa - This is basically a stocks game, and everything you do has the potential to raise or lower points for all players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
Big +1 for Caylus, End of the Triumvirate, and Tigris & Euphrates

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Siford
msg tools
So I have three games for that group.

First is Maria - it is designed for 3 very interactive and can be mean. Great design.
Second is Forbidden Stars - the game works best with 3 is highly interactive and strategic.
Third is Food Chain Magnate - the game is one of the meanest games I have played despite it being about fast food chains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Baker
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Terra Mystica works well to keep you involved during other people's turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Three Kingdoms Redux or Pax Renaissance

TKR you hear is underdeveloped?!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
General_Norris wrote:
Three Kingdom Redux (Told the core game is great, but a bit underdeveloped)
Thoughts?

I am one of the two co-designers of Three Kingdoms Redux. May I invite you to peruse the following thread:

Collation of Three Kingdoms Redux material
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua McDonald
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked up argent: the consortium. There's a good bit of strategy and, unlike terra mystics, you have player interaction. You can kick each other's workers out of their spots through a variety of means. Plus no one is ever really out of the game. You can also end rounds early if and other players may not be able to play all actions possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.