8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Help choosing the expanion for Istanbul rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tobias Johansson
Sweden
flag msg tools

Which expansion is best for 2 players of Istanbul?

Istanbul: Letters and Seals
Istanbul: Mocha & Baksheesh
Or is the game the best without expantions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morency
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think Mocha is the best expansion. The coffee works so well as an alternate resource and it helps keep the game fresh, as the best paths are not as obvious.

Letters and Seals is a welcome addition, but I think I might be just as happy without it. Letters and Seals adds yet another consideration for how you approach victory, but it's not as solid as the coffee. I've only played it once, but I believe that when you get a letter you have the option to deliver it to a space on the board in order to get an extra seal, or you can just keep it for one seal. So there's a little bit of added luck there, but this game was not without luck to begin with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This expansion is the best: Yokohama

Seriously though, I have played base and M&B, and that expansion adds just a bit more depth and complexity to the game. My friends who own the game seem to think it improves replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Johansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
yes Yokohama is a good game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Royal
msg tools
mbmbmb
I have both expansions and play with both. Adding the expansions lets players choose from different routes each game. Kind of like - What type of merchant do I want to be today?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Rountrey
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Complexity is the only thing that keeps us from predicting every second of our future. hmmm!
badge
“ I am a determinist. As such, I do not believe in free will. " -Albert Einstein
mbmbmbmbmb
Why choose?? this is a steal:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...gC3EAAOSwnHZYh9l0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yokohama is a good game, but it doesn't really scratch the same itch. It's considerably more complex and takes almost twice the amount of time to play. It appeals to two different situations, IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
Yokohama is a good game, but it doesn't really scratch the same itch. It's considerably more complex and takes almost twice the amount of time to play. It appeals to two different situations, IMO.

I agree. And I do think Istanbul is the better game and the coffee expansion is the better of the two. Didn't care for letters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.