10 Posts

Unearth» Forums » General

Subject: Why place-then-roll and not roll-then-place? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse Marzel
Israel
flag msg tools
I've been listening to the dice tower today, and they talked Unearth; Eric described the process of the game as "selecting a card and a die, then rolling it and placing it on the card".

I'll be honest - hearing this almost killed my interest in the game. I was under the impression the players have a pool of dice, and they choose one to place on any of the cards at each turn, making for interesting dice-management mechanics. Hearing it's the other way around, and that you cannot actually manage your dice, really turned me off of the game.

Why was this method chosen? Am I missing something? I really want to like the game, but ATM I think I'll pass on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the game at Origins with Eric. It is the way he says and it works fine. You choose which size die you want to use and where you are going to place it and then you roll it and place it. I believe the other way of rolling first and then placing would take suspense out of the game, make it drag out longer and mean many choices would be so obvious as to not really be choices at all. The way you wanted it wouldn't take luck out of it but would simply make you able to place dice with complete knowledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
The artwork at the Origins booth drew me in.

The description (place and roll) during the rules explanation at origins nearly killed my interest as well.

After playing my demo game I preordered Unearth. I liked it that much.

The delver cards are plentiful and usually a good consolation for a "bad" roll (since a low number is unlikely to take a ruin card) as are the crystals you collect to build wonders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
JBMoby wrote:
The artwork at the Origins booth drew me in.

The description (place and roll) during the rules explanation at origins nearly killed my interest as well.

After playing my demo game I preordered Unearth. I liked it that much.

The delver cards are plentiful and usually a good consolation for a "bad" roll (since a low number is unlikely to take a ruin card) as are the crystals you collect to build wonders.
I still don't understand: it seems a pure luck driven game then. Which decisions are there to be made that are meaningful? I agree with the sentiment of the opening post: a dice placement game sounds tons of times more interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The strategy comes in what size dice do you send to a card and that depends on what dice are already there and whether you are likely to roll high or low. The dice mitigation comes in the form of the delver cards. A low roll can not only get you a crystal for building but it could also win you a card if you have the high die there and the low number you rolled pushed the carde over its threshold. I rarely felt that luck was the guiding force of who won the game I played at Origins. It always felt there were decisions to be made that more impacted the outcome than the dice roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
The strategy comes in what size dice do you send to a card and that depends on what dice are already there and whether you are likely to roll high or low. The dice mitigation comes in the form of the delver cards. A low roll can not only get you a crystal for building but it could also win you a card if you have the high die there and the low number you rolled pushed the carde over its threshold. I rarely felt that luck was the guiding force of who won the game I played at Origins. It always felt there were decisions to be made that more impacted the outcome than the dice roll.
Thanks for the explanation. I guess this one I have to try first. Many people seem to enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris O'Neal
United States
California
flag msg tools
Rick, thanks for the explanation! That lines up with our intentions. We actually think the decisions are more interesting if you have to commit to a Ruin before rolling, because you have to decide which size of die you want to commit and whether to play any Delver cards. This is where the game's push-your-luck elements come into play, where you have to decide whether to safely roll for an uncontested Ruin, conservatively allocate a bunch of dice to one Ruin, or try to spread your bets and attempt to scoop a Ruin from another player.

It's a light game, and more tactical than strategic, but we do think it's full of fun decisions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brother0ne wrote:
Rick, thanks for the explanation! That lines up with our intentions. We actually think the decisions are more interesting if you have to commit to a Ruin before rolling, because you have to decide which size of die you want to commit and whether to play any Delver cards. This is where the game's push-your-luck elements come into play, where you have to decide whether to safely roll for an uncontested Ruin, conservatively allocate a bunch of dice to one Ruin, or try to spread your bets and attempt to scoop a Ruin from another player.

It's a light game, and more tactical than strategic, but we do think it's full of fun decisions!

You are very welcome. I have pre-ordered it and hope it can arrive before GenCon so I can get some plays in before showing it to my friends at the Con.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Chris, super neat game!

Can you officially comment on how to acquire all the promo cards? I think they add immense longevity to the game, but I've read reports of people asking their FLGS and they get a measly 1 card or something. Will they be made available in total? Or are there perhaps plans for an expansion with more End of Age cards, Wonder cards, or some such deal? I thought I had purchased a "complete" game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pacman88k wrote:
I think they add immense longevity to the game

For what it's worth. The game works well, and is great, without the promo cards. Because you're drawing out random cards each game you won't see them all the time. There are 2 extra wonders (making the total 17). You only use 4-6 of these in a game. Same goes for the extra 2 end of age cards. Though with only a stack of 7, you are likely to see the new ones often, it's still a 2 in 7 chance to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.