Hide
6 Posts

Citadels» Forums » Rules

Subject: Old vs New version of 2 player role selection rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Vartanian
msg tools
Hi, I'm just starting out with the original version of Citadels and playing with 2 players. I noticed that the original version allows players to select from all available roles (minus first discarded one) before passing while the new version instructs to choose 2 roles at random and select one to keep, then pass the rest. These are different and I'm wondering if I should play the original game with the new role selection method, or keep the original method. Thanks!

Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic R
Spain
Tomares (Seville)
flag msg tools
badge
Pure mathematics is the world's best game. It is more absorbing than chess, more of a gamble than poker, and lasts longer than Monopoly. It's free. It can be played anywhere - Archimedes did it in a bathtub
mbmbmbmbmb
New version is better. In old version your opponent have a 1 on 2 choices to know what you picked (discarded card and the one you picked) that is too easy, especially if by chance the discarded role is a almost useless one (in the game context). With new rule your opponent only have 1 on 3 choance to known what you picked. With 9 cards is the ideal ratio (1 on 3, 1 on 3 1 on 3 and the last one doesnt count as is not passed again)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting change! I know some would be against it since only 1 role per turn makes the game take much longer. OTOH, I wouldn't be opposed as 2p with one role per round is still much less downtime than 4p to 8p.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which versions are we comparing here?

Citadels & the FFG edition of Citadels have the same method, here are the rules from the 2016 edition. I'm fairly sure the new Citadels Classic has the same rules too.

Citadels 2016 Rules wrote:
Selection Phase
The crowned player gathers the deck of character cards and shuffles them. He randomly discards one card facedown in the center of the table. Then he takes the remaining seven cards, secretly chooses one to keep for himself, and passes the remaining six cards to his opponent.

For the remaining selections this round, each player chooses two character cards: one he keeps, the other he discards facedown near the other discarded cards, and then he passes the remaining cards to his opponent. This continues until there are no more characters remaining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing that's changed is the order, which the crown chooses a card to draft, THEN discards a role after that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
Which versions are we comparing here?

Citadels & the FFG edition of Citadels have the same method, here are the rules from the 2016 edition. I'm fairly sure the new Citadels Classic has the same rules too.

Citadels 2016 Rules wrote:
Selection Phase
The crowned player gathers the deck of character cards and shuffles them. He randomly discards one card facedown in the center of the table. Then he takes the remaining seven cards, secretly chooses one to keep for himself, and passes the remaining six cards to his opponent.

For the remaining selections this round, each player chooses two character cards: one he keeps, the other he discards facedown near the other discarded cards, and then he passes the remaining cards to his opponent. This continues until there are no more characters remaining.

As far as I can tell, the rules for 2-player role selection have not changed at all. The new and old 2 player rules are the same, though the exact wording may be slightly different. Each player still gets to choose a role from all of the remaining roles, and they also choose one to discard. The two chosen cards are not picked out at random.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.