Axis & Allies» Forums » Variants

Subject: Lend Lease / Convoys to Russia... Any Variants around? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Reinhard S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In WW II the US supported the UK and RUSSIA via Convoys (sending material and resources).
Is there some easy Variant rule to use with the Original MB 2nd Ed. ?

It would be nice to send US (and/or UK?) Production Points to Archangelsk/Murmansk. But...

How could they be sent?
What could the Axis do against it?

Any easy Variants around?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
The Xenogames unauthorized version has rules for Lend Lease but it may be OOP. The version was called A World at War. I am not sure that Xenogames is still in business. It was a Canadian store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kalk
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
IIRC, that variant allowed to US to roll 1 die each turn and send that much to one of its allies. Or maybe it was a flat rate limit, I don't recall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Stonemark
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reinhard Sabel wrote:
In WW II the US supported the UK and RUSSIA via Convoys (sending material and resources).

It would be nice to send US (and/or UK?) Production Points to Archangelsk/Murmansk. But...

How could they be sent?

Try looking for Max's Advanced Rules for Axis and Allied by StratMax Inc.
It is a simple pamphlet of 20 or so optional rules.
They have a lend lease rule where the U.S. will purchase 1 die at 6 I.P.C. during the Weapons Development phase. The number rolled is the amount of I.P.C.'s the U.S.S.R. receives. This symbolizes the possible effect of U-boats on convoy routes.
In their version it was only Russia that could recieve this, but you could house rule that England could as well...
Also an option would be to make lend-lease mandatory for the U.S.
Also try searching on axisandallies.org

Xeno Games' The World at War, I believe is up to a 4th edition. This and other variants are still readily found on ebay and other on-line war game stores: try nobleknights.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reinhard S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
redblackmonkey wrote:
Reinhard Sabel wrote:

How could they be sent?

They have a lend lease rule where the U.S. will purchase 1 die at 6 I.P.C. during the Weapons Development phase. The number rolled is the amount of I.P.C.'s the U.S.S.R. receives. This symbolizes the possible effect of U-boats on convoy routes.
In their version it was only Russia that could recieve this, but you could house rule that England could as well...

Xeno Games' The World at War, I believe is up to a 4th edition. This and other variants are still readily found on ebay and other on-line war game stores: try nobleknights.com

Thanks a lot!
Buying 1 die for 6 Ponts Sound good, potentially loosing about 2,5 Pts / Die in the process. Abstract - but good idea.
So it was irrelevant how many Transports the US had and how many U-Boats the german had...?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Stonemark
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reinhard Sabel wrote:
redblackmonkey wrote:
Reinhard Sabel wrote:

How could they be sent?

Thanks a lot!
Buying 1 die for 6 Ponts Sound good, potentially loosing about 2,5 Pts / Die in the process. Abstract - but good idea.
So it was irrelevant how many Transports the US had and how many U-Boats the german had...?!

Pretty much! It is an abstraction of sorts. Transports in the "classic" version still have a defensive capability and carry military units.
You could look at later versions like the original Europe and Global 40 for actual convoy zone type rules, or even WWI 1914 for more if an economic type effect, some of those may be adaptable to the original game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

If I were going to put something together, I would be inclined to try something like...

A concrete method;
Don't use transports. Consider the requisite transports to be part of the cost. Use some other counter to represent the convoy and start it in the Eastern US sea zone when bought, with a value attached (this could be fixed for every purchase, or you could allow the US player to allot whatever value it cares to spend on it up to a maximum of 5 or 6?).
Move it 2 zones per turn, with a move into land required for it to arrive.
German U-boats may attack as they would any other ship.
Each hit scored by a U-boat reduces the value of the convoy by 2 or 3(?).

The trouble with this approach is that the most likely places for the convoy to be eligible for attack is either off the coast of the US or the UK, both of which will likely be heavily defended. Historically the most vulnerable location for the convoys was midway between Canada and the UK, where they were quite lightly defended.

An abstract method;
Create a convoy as above, and move it in the same way but after each movement turn, allow the German player to roll 1 die for each sub he controls. Roll once for each sub. Reduce the value of the convoy by 1 for each hit. (The German will have 2 opportunities to attack convoys which land at the UK and 3 for those which continue to Archangel.)
What I haven't sorted out is whether the subs are considered to be occupied for that turn or not.

That's with just a little thought into what considerations should be taken into account.

Of course, there's always the very real method of just transferring actual units to the country of choice.
Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reinhard S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tanik wrote:

If I were going to put something together, I would be inclined to try something like...

The trouble with this approach is that the most likely places for the convoy to be eligible for attack is either off the coast of the US or the UK, both of which will likely be heavily defended. Historically the most vulnerable location for the convoys was midway between Canada and the UK, where they were quite lightly defended.

To save space on the board, the Atlantoc Ocean is VERY narrow in this game, with just a few spaces. So a "mid-ocean" gap, where Air-Support and surface Support is weaker - does not exist...

Because all ships (including U-boats) are always "visible and found", there is no secret u-boat movement. Perhaps anover topic for variant rules?

But thnaks a lot for Your thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
Reinhard Sabel wrote:

How could they be sent?

IIRC, the original MB A&A already had a rule for this.

1] The US builds or has a FTR in E. US. He flies it to UK where it defends UK from invasion for 1 turn. Then he flies it to Karelia, Caucasus or Moscow.
2] Then Russia takes command of it. IIRC there was a rule for this. Or Russia just uses it on defense to defend that territory. These defending FTRs are sort of like powerful defending Artillery units, but the US has to move them; so they can't be moved into a terr. that Russia just captured before Germany can take it back. Too bad. shake

The 1 type of unit Russia would most like to have/get is FTRs, right?
Bombers can make it there in 1 move phase, but they cost a lot and are weak on defense. If Russia can take command he will have a very good piece. The Bomber might even make an attack on the way to Russia [in the Baltic Sea even].

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.