Axis & Allies» Forums » Variants

Subject: More Areas in Eastern Europe without buying a newer version. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Reinhard S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the aspect of more Areas on the Eastern front, even the (fast playing) 1941 Version has more Areas than the Original MB Version.

Has anybody tried to enhance the number of Areas in the original Version?

i.e. Making
EASTERN EUROPE into
(1) Eastern Europe &
(2) Balkans

UKRAINE into:
(1) Ukraine &
(2) Byelo-Russia

KAUKASUS into:
(1) Kaukasus &
(2) West-Russia

KARELIA into
(1) Karelia &
(2) Archangelsk

Of course the ponts would have to be devided i a sensible way.
Any ideas?
(I know, there are so many new A&A versiona around and they have more Areas, but I still like the old clear design of board and figures...

Reinhard, Germany

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
The closest to modifying area in the original version came when I purchased the Xenogames A World at War unauthorized version. I am not sure if Xenogames is still in business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midnight Reaper
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I want (to play) them all, and I want (to play) them now!
badge
Let Him Beware!
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been done before. I can't find the old information I had on that, but I can point you at some information about how to possibly give yourself more territories on the Eastern Front without buying a new map.

My suggestion would be to draw a horizontal line across from Germany to Russia, bisecting Eastern Europe, Ukraine SSR, and Caucasus SSR. Then draw a vertical line up from the border between Ukraine and Caucasus, bisecting Karelia. Two lines and you've split 4 territories into 8.

Below are maps of A&A 1942, Second Edition and Xeno Games' The World at War. In them, you can see how what they did is loosely approximated by my suggestion above.

My 2

-M_R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
Reinhard Sabel wrote:
I like the aspect of more Areas on the Eastern front, even the (fast playing) 1941 Version has more Areas than the Original MB Version.

Has anybody tried to enhance the number of Areas in the original Version?

i.e. Making
EASTERN EUROPE into
(1) Eastern Europe &
(2) Balkans

UKRAINE into:
(1) Ukraine &
(2) Byelo-Russia

KAUKASUS into:
(1) Kaukasus &
(2) West-Russia

KARELIA into
(1) Karelia &
(2) Archangelsk

Of course the ponts would have to be devided i a sensible way.
Any ideas?
(I know, there are so many new A&A versiona around and they have more Areas, but I still like the old clear design of board and figures...

Reinhard, Germany

Yes, I tried to do that. All 4 changes.

I found that several of the terr. became too small to hold the typical bunch of pieces.

But, for sure I would split Eastern Europe where you see the mountain range in the Terr. with the Balkans in the southern part. This means that you can't move from S. Europe to the new Eastern Europe.

I suppose you could split Karelia. The river you see is not the best place to mimic the other maps. A line straight up from Caucasus would do that. This does make it much harder to move from Moscow to Karelia. I suppose it depends on if you also move the IC & AA from Karelia to Caucasus as was done in Revised.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
Let me add this comment.

In theory, the original map is flawed because the Eastern Front is 2 Terr. wide everywhere except at Berlin, Moscow, and E. Europe. There is nothing that can be done about Berlin and Moscow, but it seems [in theory] that splitting E. Eur. is a very good idea. It forces the Germans like the Rus. to defend 2 terr. across the front as they are being pushed back.

Letting them defend just 1 terr. was/is a huge advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reinhard S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve1501 wrote:
Let me add this comment.

In theory, the original map is flawed because the Eastern Front is 2 Terr. wide everywhere except at Berlin, Moscow, and E. Europe. There is nothing that can be done about Berlin and Moscow, but it seems [in theory] that splitting E. Eur. is a very good idea. It forces the Germans like the Rus. to defend 2 terr. across the front as they are being pushed back.

Very good thoughts.

And how would You distribute the Production Points?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
Reinhard Sabel wrote:
Steve1501 wrote:
Let me add this comment.

Very good thoughts.

And how would You distribute the Production Points?

Eastern Europe = $2
Balkans = $1
Karelia = $2
Archangel = $1
But maybe splitting Karelia is a bad idea because it reduces the building amount at it; or make Archangel be a $0, & Karelia still $3.

Looking at the Revised map, you could steal some area for Caucasus from Moscow. This gives Caucasus access to Kazakh. Then you could split it and have enough area in each half. But Revised stole income from Siberia to give Caucasus the income of $4 so it could build more. This is getting too much, I think. If you do it anyway, then,
Caucasus = $3, $1 stolen from Soviet Far East,
West Russia = $1.

I am working on a hash-up of MB, Revised and my ideas.
It includes a bunch of map changes.
I could email a file with it if you want.
Or I could send just the map changes as a GM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reinhard S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve1501 wrote:

Eastern Europe = $2
Balkans = $1
Karelia = $2
Archangel = $1
But maybe splitting Karelia is a bad idea because it reduces the building amount at it; or make Archangel be a $0, & Karelia still $3.

Looking at the Revised map, you could steal some area for Caucasus from Moscow. This gives Caucasus access to Kazakh. Then you could split it and have enough area in each half. But Revised stole income from Siberia to give Caucasus the income of $4 so it could build more. This is getting too much, I think. If you do it anyway, then,
West Russia = $1.

Balkans "1" seems a bit weak (like libya.., with all that Rumanian Oil...
Archangel "0" seems good, to Keep KARELIA at "3", or one could "steal" from some far-eats area...

I contemplated deviding "CAUKASUS" into "WEST RUSSIA" amd "CAUCASUS", but a You stated correctly, the area would be too small. Therefore I connected the "sothern" Caucaus ("CAUCASUS" to Kazahk, so You migt as wll kepps some tanks, Inf etc. touching the Caspian Sea (or has anbody seen Ships in that sea?)

I would greatly aprreciate to reserve Your proposed map changes.

One mort Question: You spoke of the "Revised" Ed - which is that?

Thanks in Advance and Greetings from (very rainy) Germany, Reinhard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midnight Reaper
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I want (to play) them all, and I want (to play) them now!
badge
Let Him Beware!
mbmbmbmbmb
Reinhard Sabel wrote:
{snip}

The Revised Edition is Axis and Allies, Revised. It came after the Milton Bradley edition and before the Axis & Allies, 1942 first edition, in the family tree of Axis and Allies.

I hope this helps.

-M_R

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
Reinhard Sabel wrote:
Steve1501 wrote:

Eastern Europe = $2
Balkans = $1
Karelia = $2
Archangel = $1

West Russia = $1.

Balkans "1" seems a bit weak (like libya.., with all that Rumanian Oil...
Archangel "0" seems good, to Keep KARELIA at "3", or one could "steal" from some far-eats area...

I contemplated deviding "CAUKASUS" into "WEST RUSSIA" amd "CAUCASUS", but a You stated correctly, the area would be too small. Therefore I connected the "sothern" Caucaus ("CAUCASUS" to Kazahk, so You migt as wll kepps some tanks, Inf etc. touching the Caspian Sea (or has anbody seen Ships in that sea?)

I would greatly aprreciate to reserve Your proposed map changes.

A&A Revised 2004 was issued in 2004 here is a link to the page here at BGG:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/10093/axis-allies

For some reason BGG gives them both the same 'name' here = "Axis & Allies".

Yes, I can see that $1 for the Balkans is low given the oil of Rumania. As you saw I gave the Balkans an income of $3 and just added the $3 to Germany's income and added to the US & Japanese incomes too, because Revised did that.

You can keep and use my map change ideas [sent in GM] as you want to.

I really never saw any ships in the Caspian Sea. Why would anyone need them? The enemy can always just sink them/it with a plane. They cost a lot, and you can walk around. I don't think you can in Revised because that Sea does not get a Sea Zone number.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.