Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game Expansion» Forums » Rules

Subject: 'Slow Gestation' problem rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Radomir B.
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got myself into a curious situation with 'Slow Gestation' strike.
To refresh your memory, its text is :

When you draw this from the Strike deck, gain this card.
When you draw this from your deck, any other player may show a SURVIVAL character. If they do, put this into your discard pile. Otherwise, kill this card and gain a Chestburster from the hatchery.

Now, my situation is as follows (this is a single avatar solo play) :
At the start of a turn, a Facehugger waits for me on the table from the previous turn. In my hand I have cards with their cumulative Attack value of only 2 Strike points, so I'm unable to kill the Facehugger and I will get a Chestburster at the end of this turn. But during the Strike phase an Alien in the Combat Zone attacks and I draw "Slow Gestation" Strike which goes to my discard pile.

My questions are :
As I'll have a Chestburster from the Facehugger from the next turn, if I'll happen to draw Slow Gestation before the Chestburster, after reshuffling the discard pile, what I'm supposed to do with the Slow Gestation? Because there is no other player who could show a SURVIVAL character, Slow Gestation automatically means gaining a Chestburster, but I already have one in the deck. Shall I kill Slow Gestation without effect? Wouldn't it be an easy way out (maybe even cheating), if after kiling the Slow Gestation without effect I manage kill the Chestburster in my deck with some Barracks card's effect? Or should I put Slow Gestation into my discard pile, even though it's not a legal thing to do, because there is no other player with a Survival character to show?

This situation again made me question, exactly at what point in a turn a player gains a Chestburster if he can't kill a Facehugger on the table? Is it after his Action Phase, so any aliens eventually in the Combat Zone do not strike him in the following Strike Phase? The rulebook doesn't seem to specify exactly after which phase a single player gains a Chestburster. On page 13 it says : "If there's only one player left in the game and that player reveals a Facehugger, they will have this turn and the next one to kill it." There is also a two players' game example on page 14 : Player B realizes she doesn't have enough Attack points to kill a Facehugger on player A, so at the END of player B's turn, player A gains a Chestburster.

I'll appreciate your suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Lujan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
interesting question. it also pointed out something i've been playing wrong. i usually played that if you had a facehugger, enemies dont attack you. makes more sense thematically, i will honestly keep playing this way.

but by the rules, it looks like the facehugger turns AFTER your turn is up. since the strike phase is part of your turn, aliens in the combat zone will attack first, before the facehugger turns into a chestburster.

as for slow gestation, the manual does say multiple facehuggers attaching to you only give you one chestburster. even though the manual does say if they tried to impregnate you "at the same time", i'm willing to bet that the game only wants you to have 1 chestburster at a time. so i would kill the slow gestation card, and do nothing else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariusz Kosecki
Poland
Elbląg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkRedScorpion wrote:
but by the rules, it looks like the facehugger turns AFTER your turn is up. since the strike phase is part of your turn, aliens in the combat zone will attack first, before the facehugger turns into a chestburster.
I agree with that you gain a Chestburster after the Strike Phase. That brings a new question: what if you died because of strike damage? Should the Facehugger be also killed or does it impregnate the next player? I couldn't find that in the rules but the first option seems more valid.

DarkRedScorpion wrote:
as for slow gestation, the manual does say multiple facehuggers attaching to you only give you one chestburster. even though the manual does say if they tried to impregnate you "at the same time", i'm willing to bet that the game only wants you to have 1 chestburster at a time. so i would kill the slow gestation card, and do nothing else.
That's an interesting approach but I do not agree with it. The "Slow Gestation" strike has many problems with it, I personally don't use it in games with less than 4 players. It *thematically* represents a Chestburster inside you but *mechanically* has almost nothing to do with Chestbursters. I would play it this way:
1) Kill the Facehugger and gain a Chestburster.
2) After drawing the Slow Gestation, gain another Chestburster (the gestation goes faster now).
3) You might now have 2 CB in your discard or 1 in your deck and discard each.

Let's all remember that the game is a deck builder. 2 Chestburster cards do not represent 2 Chestbursters but simply a higher chance that it will hatch from your chest and you need a lot of luck to get rid of that 1 malignant Chestburster represented by 2 cards.
It's like being able to heal a Massive Blow almost as easily as a Flesh Wound, which is awkward from a thematic point of view.
Also, what would you do if a third Hazard of Nostromo entered the Combat Zone and one of the three strikes you draw is a Facehugger? That would be really strange but those are just some mechanisms that are not 100% accurate at all times.

While I love this game for how thematic it is - some things still feel mechanical (like this Slow Gestation + Facehugger combo) and I wouldn't overthink them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Mandel
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
dannte wrote:
DarkRedScorpion wrote:
I agree with that you gain a Chestburster after the Strike Phase. That brings a new question: what if you died because of strike damage? Should the Facehugger be also killed or does it impregnate the next player? I couldn't find that in the rules but the first option seems more valid.

The facehugger dies. (It doesn't move to the next player.)

dannte wrote:
DarkRedScorpion wrote:
That's an interesting approach but I do not agree with it. The "Slow Gestation" strike has many problems with it, I personally don't use it in games with less than 4 players. It *thematically* represents a Chestburster inside you but *mechanically* has almost nothing to do with Chestbursters. I would play it this way:
2) After drawing the Slow Gestation, gain another Chestburster (the gestation goes faster now).

Let's all remember that the game is a deck builder. 2 Chestburster cards do not represent 2 Chestbursters but simply a higher chance that it will hatch from your chest and you need a lot of luck to get rid of that 1 malignant Chestburster represented by 2 cards.
It's like being able to heal a Massive Blow almost as easily as a Flesh Wound, which is awkward from a thematic point of view.
Also, what would you do if a third Hazard of Nostromo entered the Combat Zone and one of the three strikes you draw is a Facehugger? That would be really strange but those are just some mechanisms that are not 100% accurate at all times.

While I love this game for how thematic it is - some things still feel mechanical (like this Slow Gestation + Facehugger combo) and I wouldn't overthink them.

Yes, it's possible to have multiple Chestburster cards at once. (As dannte said, you can imagine it's a single chestburster creature that's going to hatch faster than usual if you like.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radomir B.
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it looks like I've been playing the game wrong for years.
I was under impression you can have only one Chestburster and also that a Facehugger cannot be attached to a player who already has a Chestburster. I somehow intuitively thought it doesn't make sense thematically. But now that I'm re-reading the rules, there is indeed nothing that would specifically state that one player can't have more Chestbursters at the same time, and that a player with Chestburster can't get another Facehugger... Oh well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Mandel
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Rogue Keeper wrote:
Well it looks like I've been playing the game wrong for years.
I was under impression you can have only one Chestburster and also that a Facehugger cannot be attached to a player who already has a Chestburster. I somehow intuitively thought it doesn't make sense thematically. But now that I'm re-reading the rules, there is indeed nothing that would specifically state that one player can't have more Chestbursters at the same time, and that a player with Chestburster can't get another Facehugger... Oh well.

If you have a chestburster, then a new Facehugger that tries to jump on you will move onto the next player. (Page 14 of the rulebook.)

I believe in the base game there was no way for a player to get two Chestbursters. It's only in the expansion that that can happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommi Korpisaukko
msg tools
mb
Dannym77 wrote:
dannte wrote:
DarkRedScorpion wrote:

The facehugger dies. (It doesn't move to the next player.)

dannte wrote:
DarkRedScorpion wrote:

Yes, it's possible to have multiple Chestburster cards at once. (As dannte said, you can imagine it's a single chestburster creature that's going to hatch faster than usual if you like.)

I would suggest it actually makes thematically more sense to have the strike card Slow Gestation be considered as a Chestburster card, while it is in the player's deck or discard pile, only for the purpose of other cards that take effect if you do not have a Chestburster in your decks (like Facehuggers and Michael Weyland or aliens striking).

To me it seems that the player already has a Chestburster inside, even if it does not actually kill the player when drawn. You can't prevent the strike the same way you could prevent a chestburster from facehugger (by killing the facehugger) or from Michael Weyland (by killing him or moving him out of combat zone before striking), and you can't heal the strike by conventional means, since it is not attached to your avatar, so it is still a dangerous card.

I'm bringing this up due to component shortage. What if the aforementioned situation happened in a 5-human player game, and for example Michael Weyland was giving every player a chestburster, only one of them already has two in his/her decks so the last player does not have a Chestburster card in the hatchery to gain, since we still only have 5 actual Chestburster cards?

My conclusion:
If you gain Slow Gestation, treat it as if you gained a Chestburster type card.
1. Alien enemies do not strike players that have chestbursters, so if this is, say, 3rd out of 5 strikes that you are supposed to draw from Combat Zone enemies, don't draw the last 2. We already have instructions to draw the strikes one at a time and resolve them before drawing the next one (starting from the rightmost enemy card), so this still works according to rules.
2. If a player draws a facehugger, and he/she already has a Slow Gestation, the facehugger is moved to the next human player.
3. Multiple facehuggers only result in one chestburster, so if you had a facehugger waiting before drawing Slow Gestation, you can disregard the facehugger (consider it to be an extra facehugger)

I believe this would mechanically and thematically work with the game rules and available components.

The only problem I find is what happens if a player already has a regular chestburster and they then get Slow Gestation from the strike deck. In that case I'd take the next strike card and then reshuffle Slow Gestation back to the strike deck. Too bad it is not worded as such in the card itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.