Subject: Does it actually play well with 5+? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the game exciting and tense with more than 4 players? How about at the extreme of 7?

Many games claim to play well with a large player count, but move past their sweet spot. We recently discovered this with The Captain is Dead, where the game technically accommodates up to 7, but it fell a bit flat with more than 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've mostly played this game with 5+ players. As it is, at it's core, a hide and seek game, with most stuff happening 'simultaneously' there's little down time and I see absolutely no problems with it scaling within it's range of player counts. The only player count I'd question is 2 which is always a bit of an odd player count in 1 vs many games but even more so here since it's not that easy to play '2 handed' or 'with 2 characters' since it would drastically throw the balance of the game off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bishop
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it with the max (7) number of players a week or so ago. It does change the strategy of the hunter to focus on the weaker players (those with more cards discarded) while blocking the card retrieval/gaining options. However, the 'weaker' player is always shifting from different people.

We played it the whole game night, so I would say it plays well... at least for my group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Carpenter
United States
Spring Valley
California
flag msg tools
I've played it with almost every player size past 4 players. I can say that it is enjoyable at all player sizes. The more players, it makes it a little more difficult for the creature to keep track who has the additional 6-10 place cards, but then there is more chances for the survivors to screw up. If you feel that one side is more of at advantage, you can always adjust the beginning markers closer or further away from the star to give some balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Thanks, folks. I'm looking for a 7 player game and this seems like it might fit the bill. The players range from three experienced gamers to their four much less experienced teenage kids, so we need a game with a straightforward ruleset and very little downtime between turns.

I had thought about 7 Wonders, but the resource management may be a bit fiddly for a few of the players.

At this point we're looking at

Not Alone
Camel Up
Good Cop/Bad Cop
Codenames
(Maybe) Bang! Dice
(Maybe) Samurai Sword (a Bang! variant)

and we sometimes stretch Hex Hex to 7 players, although it's my least favorite choice (but also a crowd-pleaser with the younger gamers).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Dorward
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's pretty good at higher player counts but the player in the Creature role needs to be able to track a larger number of cards--since their strategy depends on being aware of who's played what. Discards are face up so that makes it a bit easier.

As for the rest: Codenames is great for virtually any player count, ideally you have at least 6-8 people involved. Bang or the dice game version are good with higher player counts.

7 Wonders with high player counts is too random during drafting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keusch
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
badge
It's hard to remember we're alive for the first time. It's hard to remember we're alive for the last time.
mbmbmbmbmb
it plays very well at all player counts, 2-7. Something few non-party games can boast!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played at 7p yet, but I think it'd be fun.

Rykaar wrote:

Codenames
(Maybe) Bang! Dice
(Maybe) Samurai Sword (a Bang! variant)

I don't care much for the first two, personally, and likely same for the third considering what it is. You might like them, though.

For 7 players, you may also like to check out: Burke's Gambit, The Resistance, and, one of my Top 3 games, Deception: Murder in Hong Kong (7p is perfect!). And for a good time, try Telestrations and/or Time's Up! Title Recall! (that one might be a little tough for teens, I'm not sure).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played with 3, 4, 5, and 7 at this point. 3-5 was excellent, with lots of tension at endgame.

For some reason, the 7 player game was a disaster for the Hunter, but I'd like to play 7 again before trying to make a real assessment. Suffice to say he missed a lot, which we honestly didn't think would be a problem with 6 hunted. The hunter player did mention that our table space was a bit too wide so he wasn't able to see all the used locations without craning to look far and wide for them, so next time we'll try to play with discard piles in as tight an area as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.