Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alliantie AJ
Belgium
Rijkevorsel
België
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since GWT is a fantastic and complex game with many variables I'm curious how people think about delivering in Kansas City asked in a poll.

Please give a comment on your exact reason why to stop there since this is difficult to ask in a poll.

Thank you!

Poll
1. How often have you played GWT?

0 - 5
6 - 10
More than 10
2. Do you stop at Kansas City?

Always
Mostly
Not to much
Never
3. Which strategy do you think works best with Kansas City? I chose to put the main B/T/C strategies in the poll, please comment if you want to go deeper into it. Multiple answers are possible.
Builder
Train
Cowboy
No strategy
      278 answers
Poll created by AlliantieAJ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Poll about Kansas City
After 5 plays, I still have not done it. I have considered it as part of an "Early Cowboy, Later Engineer" strategy. I would use the money and speed to buy 2 Cowboys early (total of 3), acquire a 5-cow and a 4-cow as quickly as I could, then shift into buying Engineers, and giving up the Cowboys for station tiles (after upgrading).

Use the "ditch cards from game" auxiliary action to get my hand down to a small size (with maybe a 5, 4, and 3) in it, then just go to town on my train and upgrading stations, upping certificate, and hitting San Franciso dropoff as many times as I could.

All depends on availability of workers early -- if there's 2 cowboys available, I may try KC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I stop at KC every game, usually twice. I have not found it correlates with any particular strategy: early money is always important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played 7 times so far (all winning in a range of 85-95) and always stopped the first or second, sometimes even 3 times in Kansas. The money gives you a huge boost, independent of your strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played the game 11 times now and consider it a great game, but I do not get your poll and fear that I might have been playing something wrong.

What do you mean by "Do you stop in Kansas?" I my interpretation of the rules, stopping in Kansas is mandatory? What am I missing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg

Arkansas
msg tools
badge
mb
I have played the game 11 times now and consider it a great game, but I do not get your poll and fear that I might have been playing something wrong.

What do you mean by "Do you stop in Kansas?" I my interpretation of the rules, stopping in Kansas is mandatory? What am I missing?

He should have phrased it as "Do you deliver to Kansas City?", as in the first delivery option that gives 6 money but -6 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I see, thanks for clarifing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alliantie AJ
Belgium
Rijkevorsel
België
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx
Changed it above the poll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is situational, if early cash is useful at the first building, say to buy both available engineers or cowboys then I may go for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played 9 times, and I generally deliver to Kansas City on my first delivery for the money. Early in the game money is tight, and an extra $6 can really help with building whatever engine you want. It can mean doing at least one thing a round earlier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bestia immonda
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting! I'd like to know how many Station tiles were grabbed by the winning player if I were to add another poll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alliantie AJ
Belgium
Rijkevorsel
België
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nicktaruffi wrote:
Interesting! I'd like to know how many Station tiles were grabbed by the winning player if I were to add another poll.

Can pick that up in another poll soon, very good question! I was thinking also for a poll about the discussion strenght of the cowboy strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Stopping is a must for me the first stop. The $6 is basically a Worker/Hazard/Cow which can more than make up the -6 points over the course of the game. Makes the second time through the rondel much better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bestia immonda
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dynalange129 wrote:
Stopping is a must for me the first stop. The $6 is basically a Worker/Hazard/Cow which can more than make up the -6 points over the course of the game. Makes the second time through the rondel much better.

You NEVER want to waste money on Hazard removal in the first half of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alliantie AJ
Belgium
Rijkevorsel
België
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nicktaruffi wrote:
Dynalange129 wrote:

I agree 90%, it depends on where the hazards are placed (if you build on the risk spaces and need to pass) and maybe if you can easily get a 4 pointer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bestia immonda
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AlliantieAJ wrote:
nicktaruffi wrote:
Dynalange129 wrote:

I agree 90%, it depends on where the hazards are placed (if you build on the risk spaces and need to pass) and maybe if you can easily get a 4 pointer.

Another GREAT poll idea!
I never build or see buildings in those spaces, I'd like to know if this is a thing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nicktaruffi wrote:
AlliantieAJ wrote:
nicktaruffi wrote:
Dynalange129 wrote:

Another GREAT poll idea!
I never build or see buildings in those spaces, I'd like to know if this is a thing!

Buildings in these areas are excellent in solo games that use the solo deck AI (can be found in the download section) as you have some control over which hazards are picked and which are removed by the AI dummy player. I have only little experience with them in multiplayergames, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alliantie AJ
Belgium
Rijkevorsel
België
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nicktaruffi wrote:
AlliantieAJ wrote:
nicktaruffi wrote:
Dynalange129 wrote:

Another GREAT poll idea!

that would be a great poll

Well, I think it is also due to group thinking, or maybe not. The extra benefits are good ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have when few hazards for a route have come out and other players have put buildings with tolls on the normal route, but not very often

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I find the final hazard track an excellent place to build behind, particularly if you can get a building that lets you step to the next building. In most layouts you can run yourself low on money prior to the hazard run, then use those two slots to cycle your deck and/or money up for the last stop before Kansas City (after which you're rich enough to pay for whatever you're looking for on the majority of the board prior to the hazard run). As long as you have the steps to get through the hazards (I wouldn't do it if the track were full enough to cost me a turn) it's a strong strategy I feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jsciv wrote:
I find the final hazard track an excellent place to build behind, particularly if you can get a building that lets you step to the next building. In most layouts you can run yourself low on money prior to the hazard run, then use those two slots to cycle your deck and/or money up for the last stop before Kansas City (after which you're rich enough to pay for whatever you're looking for on the majority of the board prior to the hazard run). As long as you have the steps to get through the hazards (I wouldn't do it if the track were full enough to cost me a turn) it's a strong strategy I feel.

The native American route is also nice if you do not mind skipping whichever building is placed opposite it. At least in my plays, it rarely has more than two teepees on the traveled portion since people grab the valuable ones. Overall, I usually prefer the rock slide path, though, for exactly the reasons you mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
cohenhs wrote:
dkeisen wrote:
I stop at KC every game, usually twice. I have not found it correlates with any particular strategy: early money is always important.

How do you use the same station twice?

These aren't stations, these are delivery points for cattle. The rules specifically state that you can deliver as many times as you want to San Francisco and to Kansas City. They need this for Kansas City to cater to the case where someone makes repeated bad deliveries and cannot deliver anywhere further than Kansas City, but the rule is not limited to this case and one can always voluntarily deliver there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
V Vendetta
Brazil
flag msg tools
In one game I did build after the teepees and got astronomically unlucky, as teepees were being drawn faster than I could clear (3p game) - to the point the teepee path got full (it was ridiculous). The other players were pretty happy because I was planning on using that building (but could never visit it, and I couldn't empty my wallet without giving them money). They only took the teepees out when they got to 6-8 coins (yeah, they got money out of it as well)... Still only lost for 7 points (I was unlucky in other stuff too, like a mid-game delivery having to be made for point loss, as my hand just didn't get good enough :/). If I could complete 1 more objective I could have done it (but this was when I finally made a mistake and forgot I hadn't completed 1 objective - I was chasing points in teepees, as I had the master tile by now - I got 1 point instead of 8, what an idiot). It was a perfect storm.

As that was the game that was least lucky I've ever had (I HAD even to use a hybrid strat, which in that game wasn't really a very interesting thing to do), you can really see that the game can be won even under very subpar circumstances. The game ended being 138 (cow -> train) - 137 (builder) - 131 (train -> hybrid - me) - the two other players denied me the engineers I needed in the mid-game (I was advancing in the train track pretty fast, so they both decided to stop me). I was actually happy for having lost by such a small margin given how much improvisation I had to do (and I'm not good at improvising - generally speaking).

By the way, every time I wanna try a non-cowboy or non-hybrid strategy people in my group somebody goes for it first (so I have to adapt and end up with having to play cowboy or hybrid strategies :/). I could only do the engineer strategy twice - and I was still new to the game the first time. And the builder strategy I was never allowed to try (one person in the group always snipes it...).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow that seems a lot of points for all of you. Seems like you are playing really slow to let that happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
V Vendetta
Brazil
flag msg tools
Yeah. I've seen that commonly the point totals fluctuate more when you rush more deliveries.

Our group has the habit of slowing the pace for better deliveries (more points), but the forums showed me that this is not necessary and that in this game people can win with scores as low as 80 points (more reminiscent of our initial games).

In most games more points correlate to better play, so I guess using that as a parameter makes our games consistently slower than the average.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.