Brian Long
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doing Reward Loyalty phase of WQ in the playbook, it describes British paying to go to Active Support in New York Colony (pop 2) and Quebec City (pop 1). It then says "total support goes from one up to four." Huh? I thought the Total Support should be at 6: NYCol 2x2 + QC 2x1 = 6.

What am I misunderstanding?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right. It is a playbook goof.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott D
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
newobj wrote:
Doing Reward Loyalty phase of WQ in the playbook, it describes British paying to go to Active Support in New York Colony (pop 2) and Quebec City (pop 1). It then says "total support goes from one up to four." Huh? I thought the Total Support should be at 6: NYCol 2x2 + QC 2x1 = 6.

What am I misunderstanding?

This error seems like it was caused by a prior error in the playbook that only raised Support in New York Colony by one level. The picture at the bottom left of page 10 shows New York at Passive Support. If that had been the case, Support would indeed have only been raised by three. However, Joel is correct: Support clearly went up five levels, so the statement on page 12 should read, "...Support goes up five from one to six." Apparently this is a case of one errata correction leading to a new piece of errata.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Buchanan
United States
RSF
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Compounding error in the playthrough - hate these things....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Long
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW the playbook helped me go from intimidated (my first COIN) to confident and excited to play a real game in about 3 hours. So obviously worth all the effort

Got the long scenario all set up and I'm ready to go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott D
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hankhankhank wrote:

I see the value in them, and I always use them to learn the rules of a game, but I'd imagine that they take an eternity to write: the designer basically has to figure out how to manufacture as many game situations as possible in a way that would never occur when actually playing the game. And, yes, they are always full of compounding errors, nearly useless in terms of strategy, and never comprehensive enough. The examples often are oddly chosen. For every essential example, there are glaring omissions. Reminds me of my college math textbooks: "The rest is left as an exercise for the reader."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Buchanan
United States
RSF
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
newobj wrote:
FWIW the playbook helped me go from intimidated (my first COIN) to confident and excited to play a real game in about 3 hours. So obviously worth all the effort

Got the long scenario all set up and I'm ready to go!

Great news Brian - let us know how it goes!

HB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Buchanan
United States
RSF
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scottland wrote:
hankhankhank wrote:

I see the value in them, and I always use them to learn the rules of a game, but I'd imagine that they take an eternity to write: the designer basically has to figure out how to manufacture as many game situations as possible in a way that would never occur when actually playing the game. And, yes, they are always full of compounding errors, nearly useless in terms of strategy, and never comprehensive enough. The examples often are oddly chosen. For every essential example, there are glaring omissions. Reminds me of my college math textbooks: "The rest is left as an exercise for the reader."

I agree Scott. Although it is probably the most criticized part of the 77,000 words of prose in the box. Errors seem to get people riled up. The pain in creating it is significant due to the manifestations of compounding errors. And, some players want strategy insight in the play through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.