Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases» Forums » Rules

Subject: Free leads? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Si flint
England
wakefield
west yorshire
flag msg tools
Hey confused by this rule... Just picked up the 2016-1 version and completed case one.

No where at the back of the book or on the paper in the envelope did it give me any free leads to discount.

Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James R. Gracen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kyrne wrote:
Hey confused by this rule... Just picked up the 2016-1 version and completed case one.

No where at the back of the book or on the paper in the envelope did it give me any free leads to discount.

Am I missing something?

Yes. The free leads are listed on the last page of the booklet. Of the ten cases, only Case One: The Munitions Magnate, and Case Seven: The Banker's Quietus have any free leads. Here is my quoted text from another post from a couple months ago regarding free leads. I put it inside Spoiler Tags just to be safe.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Alexi Meshkoff's residence is a free lead because he is not at home, if you were to try to visit him there. He is to be found at the Russian Embassy instead. If you were to search for him at his home, it would count as a *free lead*, but if you were to visit him at the Embassy, that location would be considered a lead which *does* count against you.

Similarly, Senor Del Guerra is at home rather than at the Spanish Embassy (the Spanish Embassy *does not* count against you, but his residence *does*). And Emile Zobar is also at his home, and not at the French Embassy (the French Embassy *does not* count against you, but his residence *does*).

There are a total of six free leads in the 2016 version of the Munitions Magnate case. Not many of the original cases actually do contain free leads (only Case One: The Munitions Magnate out of the first five cases anyway. I haven't played cases six through ten yet). Note also that the original 1981 version of the game does not, to my knowledge, make use of *any* free leads.

The "Free" leads (if any), are listed on the last page of the case booklet, in the "SCORE" section of that page. You will have a "SOLUTION" section (detailing the overall solution to the case), followed by a "HOLMES" section (which lists the locations Holmes visited during the case). Next up is the "SCORE" section followed by a "Part One" and a "Part Two" section (giving the answers to the Part One questions and the Part Two questions respectively).

If there are *any* free leads for your particular case, they will be listed directly between the "SCORE" section heading and the "Part One" section heading.

If you are interested in reading the whole thread, Here it is:

Holmes' Cheating

Note that in the first response post after the original post, the writer had mistakenly misread the rules and assumed that *any* leads that both you and Sherlock Holmes visited were free leads. And, by his interpretation, you got to *double-subtract* those leads. He was wrong though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Si flint
England
wakefield
west yorshire
flag msg tools
Thanks - must be missing from our print as we have no such passage.

Thanks for clearing it up haha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James R. Gracen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kyrne wrote:
Thanks - must be missing from our print as we have no such passage.

How bizarre. My copy is also the 2016-1 version. My last page looks like this (Don't worry, I blurred the information you shouldn't read, like Holme's visited locations and answers to the questions, so it is *safer* to click on the spoiler tag below):

Spoiler (click to reveal)

It's weird that your copy doesn't contain that passage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Si flint
England
wakefield
west yorshire
flag msg tools
Yeah my copy is totally different.

Back of the book has a page with the 8 questions, then Holmes big speech about the case and under that it shows how he solved it.

The answers for the 8 questions are in a white envelope along with holmes score / how many leads he followed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bitchy Little Boy
Romania
Bucharest
Sector 3
flag msg tools
... or I won't bear with you!
badge
Phil Eklund's games are like a bar of gold from a complete stranger.
mbmbmbmbmb

It seems you have the newer edition - "SHCD: The Thames Murder & Other Cases - Vol 1" (the one in the picture at the top of the thread) not a print of the previous edition (i.e. 2016-1). I only have its French version, where, indeed there is no longer any mention of the free leads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanuel B
France
Paris
flag msg tools
I'm just a villager! Believe me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I can confirm the following from the French, pre-reprint, Ystari editions :
Base game :
- Free leads only in the 1st and 7th cases.
Standalone booklets (incl. Carlton House), soon to be re-printed as box #2 :
- No free leads for the 12th case.
- There are free leads in all the cases 13 to 18 (included), and in the 20th.
- I don't own cases 11th and 19th to check.
In Jack the Ripper & West End (Space Cowboys, 2016, French) :
- Free leads only in cases 4, 5, 6 and 9.

So they do not seem to have abandoned the concept of free leads with the recent editions (although I don't know for the French Space Cowboys base game reprint).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.