10 Posts

1960: The Making of the President» Forums » Rules

Subject: Debates (GMT Version) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Kilcommons
msg tools
Hey all,

Played the first game with the new GMT edition today (got it late last night when I got home) and the debates confuse me. Do you add existing CP on an issue to the total number of CP to see who won the debate?

I.E.: Kennedy has 2 CP on Economy. Nixon played 2 cards giving him a total of 5 CP. Kennedy played 1 with 4 CP. Would Nixon win the issue 5-4 based off cards alone or would Kennedy win 6-5 by adding the cards plus the CP?

It didn't seem very clear to me in the rule book, although its possible I missed something

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tod Andrew
Australia
Wollongong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"the player with the most CP on their side of the issue has won that issue and earns the reward listed to the left."

Ignore the number of cards and just count the CP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't confuse CP during the debate with cubes on the issues before the debate, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse F
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
mkilc72 wrote:
Hey all,

Played the first game with the new GMT edition today (got it late last night when I got home) and the debates confuse me. Do you add existing CP on an issue to the total number of CP to see who won the debate?

I.E.: Kennedy has 2 CP on Economy. Nixon played 2 cards giving him a total of 5 CP. Kennedy played 1 with 4 CP. Would Nixon win the issue 5-4 based off cards alone or would Kennedy win 6-5 by adding the cards plus the CP?

It didn't seem very clear to me in the rule book, although its possible I missed something

Yes, Nixon would win based on the 5 CP from the cards alone. You ignore the cubes that were already on the issue track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kilcommons
msg tools
Totally see that the cubes should not be counted now. Although I feel like the cubes on the issue should be counted. Would make sense that a candidate who is seen nationally as being stronger on a topic would have an edge going in and be able to win it more easily. Would make for an interesting debate variant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fig
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Since my question is Debate-centric, I'll ask it in this thread...

All events are usually removed from the game after being used, yes? In the rulebook for this version, it says the Debate events may be discarded after the Debate is over. Was it intended to be this way or might this be an error? I'm just learning and reading over things and this stood out to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mav485 wrote:

All events are usually removed from the game after being used, yes? In the rulebook for this version, it says the Debate events may be discarded after the Debate is over. Was it intended to be this way or might this be an error? I'm just learning and reading over things and this stood out to me.

They're already been "removed" because they were played. They just don't matter any more. I don't think "discarded" here means to the discard pile, so yes, probably just an oversight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fig
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Gotcha. I figured it could make a difference if the discard pile needs to get shuffled and brought back in. It wouldn't make sense to keep them in the game and break that tension of whether to preempt or trigger an event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:
Mav485 wrote:

They're already been "removed" because they were played. They just don't matter any more. I don't think "discarded" here means to the discard pile, so yes, probably just an oversight.

I'm sorry, I meant to say discard here doesn't mean to the discard pile. Just discard as in take it away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tod Andrew
Australia
Wollongong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would makes things easier if the terms used were DISCARD and REMOVE.

DISCARD means the Card could be reshuffled back into a draw deck, whereas REMOVED means the card is out of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.