Codex: Card-Time Strategy – Deluxe Set» Forums » General

Subject: is there deckbuilding/types of cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Matt
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hey there,so you just deckbuild as you play,there is no codex you build before playing,right? (no building of decks before play)

also can someone mention some fun/interesting cards ? or big splashy effects?

id appreciate it! i want to see how complex/fun/splashy the cards can be!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Before you play, you do put together your Codex. Basically (assuming you have bought every hero) you choose 3 Heroes and their associated cards to form your own, personal draft pool.

Then, from those 3 Heroes, you choose which one will provide your "starter" deck. Across the 20 Heroes there are 6 different starters, so depending on your Hero mix you might have from 1 to 3 starters to choose from.

The various Heroes are probably the most intricate cards, but while many cards are powerful there's nothing like Magic the Gathering's Chaos Orb that you throw into mid-air and see what cards it lands on to destroy

I'd recommend codexcarddb.org to browse the various cards involved. For crazy effects, I'd browse Purple (Vortoss), Blue (Flagstone), and Black (Blackhand) specifically. The Tech 3 Units will be the most powerful, but in practice you should rarely see them as most games will be decided before T3 once players know what they're doing. Do check out the Heroes' Ultimate spells, as those are often pretty potent. One of the more silly effects comes right out of the starter:

Appel Stomp, Finesse Hero Ultimate Spell
Cost: 1g
Effect: Sideline a patroller (move it out of the patrol zone), draw a card, then you may put Appel Stomp on top of your draw pile.

By itself it's hardly an Ultimate. But if you arrange things such that you have two copies of Appel Stomp in your hand (not that difficult), you can sideline your opponents entire patrol by chain-casting it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.J.
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As you say, there's deck building during the game - as you play, you put different cards from your codex into your deck just any other deck building game. Each game you'll 'tech' different cards and will have a different experience, depending on your strategy and the match-up you're playing. You can do play this way with the original six colored codexes (codexi?) - the so-called mono-color ones. Playing a mono-color still lets you play different strategies and work around your opponent.

However, as has been said here - you can also build your Codex by choosing three different 'specs' (specialties) - each of them includes one hero and their spells, as well as units in three levels of technologies (higher tech units being more powerful). The mono-color codex are just the three specs of that color - purple has Past, Present and Future, Blue has Law, Peace and Truth, black has Demonology, Necromancy and Disease etc. You can combine colors to create whatever 3-spec Codex you want, and there's a small in-game penalty for playing a multi-color Codex. You still build your deck during the game, so you might combine three specs and use mostly one or two of them each game.

As for fun splashy complicated cards - check out Sirus Quince, the Truth hero of the blue faction. He produces mirror illusions that can, if he is levelled up, copy other units in the game. Many people combine it with huge units from Future (like the Omegacron, a giant robot) or Demonology (like Terras Q, the unchained, a 15/15 giant) - these are units are incredibly powerful but also costly, but if you manage to bring in just one you can copy it with your mirror and have a second one right away without much further cost. Of course, they are only illusions and so can die if they are targeted by any spell. Mirroring is one of the most complicated mechanics that I have encountered in the game... and most fun!

Also, Present and Future have some pretty cool big splashy cards. There's the Hive, which comes with 5 1/1 annoying flying stingers and can reproduce them cheaply but if it dies they are all sacrificed. Present has the Immortal, which is a 5/5 indestructible (both of these units are inspired by Starcraft units, as well as the Sentry, the Void Star and the Nebula). Quince, the Truth hero, has a spell called Free Speech which silences the opponents' heroes and doesn't let them cast spells. Orpal, the disease heroes, sacrifices units to spread -1/-1 runes. Garth, the necromancer, can level up and bring into to life a card from the discard pile which you may have just placed there from your Codex.

Check the out the Codex website, where there's a series of articles that goes over each of the specs and shows off some of the cool cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Matt
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmb
so you pick 3 heroes, which each one unlocks a faction to play? and you choose one faction as a starter deck? is there any point to play mono faction or dual faction other than having the heroes?

so you just pick 3 heroes, and the faction they come with-play with one of the factions starter deck, and you can play all the cards as you deckbuild the factions in

so there's no deckbuilding before hand at all, you just have the option to choose heroes, and the factions you gonna use!

alright, i saw all the tech 3 cards and most others , i like that they pay tribute to magic, but sometimes the cards are pretty similar to what already exists in mtg,( like the tech 3 that exhausts 8 /8/8 is lorthos from mtg,obliterate is annihilate, etc, most if not all the cards work like that)which i liked at first,but id prefer if they were new cards capitalizing on codex mechanics, they just feel like ports to me , but yeah the gameplay and deckbuilding is different! i love the funny artworks and that it doesnt take itself seriously! definately a interesting game but it's probably not for me, thanks for the answers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimstringer wrote:
so you pick 3 heroes, which each one unlocks a faction to play? and you choose one faction as a starter deck? is there any point to play mono faction or dual faction other than having the heroes?

Well, with mono faction you can pretty much guarantee that each Hero's pool has some obvious synergies with the starter. But beyond that, there is a tiny penalty for going multi-faction: for your first building (tech building or add-on building), you pay a 1g penalty. That's it...a single gold difference across the entire game. And not at game start, but usually within the first two turns. It may not sound like much, but because money is so tight early, in practice it feels like *just enough* of a penalty.

Quote:
so there's no deckbuilding before hand at all, you just have the option to choose heroes, and the factions you gonna use!

Right, you deckbuild at the start of each turn. Beforehand you're just setting up your personal pool.

Quote:
alright, i saw all the tech 3 cards and most others , i like that they pay tribute to magic, but sometimes the cards are pretty similar to what already exists in mtg,( like the tech 3 that exhausts 8 /8/8 is lorthos from mtg,obliterate is annihilate, etc, most if not all the cards work like that)which i liked at first,but id prefer if they were new cards capitalizing on codex mechanics, they just feel like ports to me , but yeah the gameplay and deckbuilding is different! i love the funny artworks and that it doesnt take itself seriously! definately a interesting game but it's probably not for me, thanks for the answers!

I do think that the actual in-gameplay is a major step up from MTG for sure, but I totally get that a lot of cards "pay homage" at the very least to some other effects or thematic representations from some other games. And if your favorite parts of MTG include super-fine-tuning the deckbuilding, then yes Codex has less of that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to see the cards, just check www.codexcarddb.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimstringer wrote:

alright, i saw all the tech 3 cards and most others , i like that they pay tribute to magic, but sometimes the cards are pretty similar to what already exists in mtg,( like the tech 3 that exhausts 8 /8/8 is lorthos from mtg,obliterate is annihilate, etc, most if not all the cards work like that)which i liked at first,but id prefer if they were new cards capitalizing on codex mechanics, they just feel like ports to me , but yeah the gameplay and deckbuilding is different! i love the funny artworks and that it doesnt take itself seriously!

Cards and abilities have similarities to Mtg.
But the game is different... what I am trying to say is that if you take a chess knight and put that in an adapted backgammon game... the knight is still a knight, but you can not play it like it was a chess knight (of course).
Big creatures are big creatures, but in Codex there is the patrol zone that you set up for defense, and also damages remain with the creatures at end of turn.
That gives me a different feeling...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.