Subject: Exploration clarifications required rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Burgess
United Kingdom
Chichester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules mention using the Scorpio rover to undertake research/build actions away from the HUB, which suggests to me that characters can remain away from the hub; is this right? Do they travel away from the HUB and then stay there until they return?

Is returning a whole new action in the next (or subsequent round), or do all explorers automatically return to the HUB at the end of every Action round?

If characters end the round in the rover away from the HAB, do they require feeding, or are they considered to feed themselves like those who were 'out for the night' in Robinson Crusoe?

The rules also mention that when traveling over long distances, the rover can be damaged and will need repairing. Are you expected to stop on that ROI to repair the rover before continuing? Or does it return to base at the end of the Action round and require repairing before being used again?

Many thanks for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Burgess
United Kingdom
Chichester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can we also assume that if you use only ONE Action pound and Froggie (which equates to +2 Action pounds) to explore any undiscovered locations in the inner circle (which minuses one Action pound), those explorations are always automatically successful?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mattpburgess wrote:
or are they considered to feed themselves like those who were 'out for the night' in Robinson Crusoe?

I don't own the game, and haven't read the rules (I know, my post is surely going to be helpful...) but in Robinson Crusoe, they do not feed themselves, they starve, unless they happened to have food on them from after they were exiled from camp. That is, they aren't 'considered to' but rather 'have to' feed themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Burgess
United Kingdom
Chichester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mattpburgess wrote:
Can we also assume that if you use only ONE Action pound and Froggie (which equates to +2 Action pounds) to explore any undiscovered locations in the inner circle (which minuses one Action pound), those explorations are always automatically successful?

Ignore this question - Ignacy already confirmed this to be true in the explore tutorial on YouTube.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Burgess
United Kingdom
Chichester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, how many 'items' can Scorpio bring back from any one ROI? In the video Ignacy showed Scorpio with a sample AND an objective token on it. Could Scorpio just bring everything back from a discovered tile at once?

Also, a POI token is the Mars equivalent of a Robinson Crusoe discovery token. Do you take it as soon as you discover a new ROI tile, or do you have to send Scorpio out to collect it once you've found it?

*So many questions!*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Calcagno
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mattpburgess wrote:
Also, how many 'items' can Scorpio bring back from any one ROI? In the video Ignacy showed Scorpio with a sample AND an objective token on it. Could Scorpio just bring everything back from a discovered tile at once?

Also, a POI token is the Mars equivalent of a Robinson Crusoe discovery token. Do you take it as soon as you discover a new ROI tile, or do you have to send Scorpio out to collect it once you've found it?

*So many questions!*

Bailiff: take the app away from this man!

I also wondered if you cross through an ROI that suffers a health loss, do you suffer an additional health loss "returning back to the HUB" but the example seems to clearly show that the health effect is only charged once, so I am assuming we do not need to account for return travel at all???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Nicholson
United States
Leo
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook will not cover everything. This is probably because it would be huge and/or to not spoil things to come. A lot of the material you will need are on the scenario sheets as well as in the app. When we played our first game, we had a lot of questions too until we actually looked at these.

You will have to build things outside the HUB. One scenario you have to build the HUB itself (you just landed and of course all the parts are scattered!)

I could be wrong, but I don't think there is anything like spending the night outside the HUB on this game.

The rovers will take damage but everything gets resolved and then effervescent are applied. It all happens at the same time. The rovers just ant be used until they are fixed which will take you a round.

POI tokens are exactly like discovery tokens. You can't exchange them for what they give you until after all the actions have been resolved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you always return to HUB unless a scenario has special rules, p. 15, Distances and Movement: "Unless this is changed by an in-game effect, you always start your movement at the HUB — and this is where you return after you resolve your actions."

You get the POI token as soon as you explore an ROI, p. 15, Resolving Garage Hall (Explore): "If there is a POI icon, draw 1 POI token and put it in the Available area of the Cargo Bay."

Scorpio effectively is just an extra action pawn, it doesn't actually physically carry anything (unless there are scenario-specific rules that I'm not aware of). It's not clear in the rules how much you can gather for a single gather action, but I would imagine you can gather one thing per action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Burgess
United Kingdom
Chichester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Antares Rangers wrote:
mattpburgess wrote:

*So many questions!*

I also wondered if you cross through an ROI that suffers a health loss, do you suffer an additional health loss "returning back to the HUB" but the example seems to clearly show that the health effect is only charged once, so I am assuming we do not need to account for return travel at all???

I'm trying to work out if every 'journey' is an immediate 'there and back again' in one round, or (considering how expensive it can be to cover long distances) if you can go half-way in round one, then the other half in round two (which would imply you have to spend actions / rounds coming back again).
The alternative is: you must go there and back in one round, meaning you must be able to 'afford' the whole journey in one round only.
I daren't go to far in the app without owning the game, but I am scrutinising this rulebook!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Burgess
United Kingdom
Chichester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slyght wrote:
Yes, you always return to HUB unless a scenario has special rules, p. 15, Distances and Movement: "Unless this is changed by an in-game effect, you always start your movement at the HUB — and this is where you return after you resolve your actions."

You get the POI token as soon as you explore an ROI, p. 15, Resolving Garage Hall (Explore): "If there is a POI icon, draw 1 POI token and put it in the Available area of the Cargo Bay."

Scorpio effectively is just an extra action pawn, it doesn't actually physically carry anything (unless there are scenario-specific rules that I'm not aware of). It's not clear in the rules how much you can gather for a single gather action, but I would imagine you can gather one thing per action.

Thank you.

That clears that up then!

(Knew I'd read something like that somewhere. Too many rules to learn everything in one night!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Nicholson
United States
Leo
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mattpburgess wrote:
Antares Rangers wrote:
mattpburgess wrote:

*So many questions!*

I'm trying to work out if every 'journey' is an immediate 'there and back again' in one round, or (considering how expensive it can be to cover long distances) if you can go half-way in round one, then the other half in round two (which would imply you have to spend actions / rounds coming back again).
The alternative is: you must go there and back in one round, meaning you must be able to 'afford' the whole journey in one round only.
I daren't go to far in the app without owning the game, but I am scrutinising this rulebook!!

It's always a round trip. Sometimes you may have to spend a large amount of pawns plus a rover to get the job done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Burgess
United Kingdom
Chichester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blnichol wrote:
It's always a round trip. Sometimes you may have to spend a large amount of pawns plus a rover to get the job done.

Thank you.

As right as you are about this, I also kinda wish you were wrong - could be fun to spend some turns driving around Mars, feeling more like Mark Watney, driving away from the HAB then trying to get back again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Nicholson
United States
Leo
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mattpburgess wrote:
blnichol wrote:

Thank you.

As right as you are about this, I also kinda wish you were wrong - could be fun to spend some turns driving around Mars, feeling more like Mark Watney, driving away from the HAB then trying to get back again

Be careful what you wish for. There are 2 campaigns and Ignacy can be evil...he also was heavily inspired by the Martian!

This would be neat, I could see someone making this scenario or this being added later! ...or an expansion like voyage of the beagle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.