Subject: Tentacles and Build Bonus rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When a tentacle or double-tentacle worker builds a module, does he take extra for the build bonus?

This question also applies to the Perk Module Zoning Board (which I got again today, and used multiple times, particularly in conjunction with the Dispatch Station). The rule book says to take any available build bonus. Would the tentacle worker take an extra item?

If a tentacle-worker activates an adjoining module (mostly through a build bonus), does he take an extra item?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Game Brewer
msg tools
publisher
Hi, I did the translation of the Dutch rules.

In general, I summarize it like this:

Whenever something happens during the Placement Phase and Splicing Lab Phase, it is always caused by the placement of a single worker. If that worker had a tentacle, you get an additional resource.

In detail:

Build bonus

The rules say the following:

Quote:
(page6) When your tentacle workers collect coins or food in an action, collect 1 additional resource of the same type at the end of that action from the general supply (so you may gain 1 food, 1 coin, or both at the end of the action)

Quote:
(page7) The constructor and certain other modules allow you to do a “build” action and expand the station. When building: (...) Gain the build bonus depicted on the board space you just built on.

Quote:
(page8) Refilling the Reactor: Remember that a tentacle worker will gain an extra one of each resource you get from this action (including the Reactor rewards).

What I get from these rules is that the constructor lets your worker (tentacle worker in this case) do a build action. Gaining the build bonus is a part of this action (page 7), and therefore the tentacle worker would be able to use his ability.

This would be further supported by the quote on page 8, where the tentacle worker also gets his bonus (even though he isn't fysically on the hexagon with the resources).

So that would mean, that if you place a tentacle worker, and that placement causes a food/coin trigger (directly or indirectly), you'll be able to use his ability. This includes build bonuses, reactor bonuses, adjacant module copying effects, etc.

So, when in doubt, you should take the extra resource

But remember that you can only get 1 food and/or 1 coin extra (at the end of your action), even though with some shenanigans you would be able to chain two food/coin triggers with a single worker placement.

Zoning Board

Yes, see above.

Dispatch Station

edit: The following answer applies to my erroneous understanding that the OP had a question about the "Dispatch" (immediately place two other workers), while in reality he was talking about the "Dispatch Station" (recall one worker).

If you place a tentacle worker here as an action/placement, you'll effectively create two new actions/placements. These two new actions/placements do not benefit from the tentacles in the Dispatch Station. (They're seperate actions).

Adjoining module

Yes!

(edit: techical rules wording)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin Game Brewer wrote:
Hi, I did the translation of the Dutch rules.

In general, I summarize it like this:

Whenever something happens during the Placement Phase and Splicing Lab Phase, it is always caused by the placement of a single worker. If that worker had a tentacle, you get an additional resource.

In detail:

Build bonus

The rules say the following:

Quote:
(page6) When your tentacle workers collect coins or food in an action, collect 1 additional resource of the same type at the end of that action from the general supply (so you may gain 1 food, 1 coin, or both at the end of the action)

Quote:
(page7) The constructor and certain other modules allow you to do a “build” action and expand the station. When building: (...) Gain the build bonus depicted on the board space you just built on.

Quote:
(page8) Refilling the Reactor: Remember that a tentacle worker will gain an extra one of each resource you get from this action (including the Reactor rewards).

What I get from these rules is that the constructor lets your worker (tentacle worker in this case) do a build action. Gaining the build bonus is a part of this action (page 7), and therefore the tentacle worker would be able to use his ability.

This would be further supported by the quote on page 8, where the tentacle worker also gets his bonus (even though he isn't fysically on the hexagon with the resources).

So that would mean, that if you place a tentacle worker, and that placement causes a food/coin trigger (directly or indirectly), you'll be able to use his ability. This includes build bonuses, reactor bonuses, adjacant module copying effects, etc.

So, when in doubt, you should take the extra resource

But remember that you can only get 1 food and/or 1 coin extra (at the end of your action), even though with some shenanigans you would be able to chain two food/coin triggers with a single worker placement.

Zoning Board

Yes, see above.

Dispatch Station

If you place a tentacle worker here as an action/placement, you'll effectively create two new actions/placements. These two new actions/placements do not benefit from the tentacles in the Dispatch Station. (They're seperate actions).

Adjoining module

Yes!

(edit: techical rules wording)

I agree with all that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin Game Brewer wrote:
Dispatch Station

If you place a tentacle worker here as an action/placement, you'll effectively create two new actions/placements. These two new actions/placements do not benefit from the tentacles in the Dispatch Station. (They're separate actions).
The result of Dispatch Station is to recall a worker. Are you saying that placing a tentacle worker on it would allow you to recall two workers? I thought tentacles only grabbed extra food, gold, and components.

I actually didn't have a question about the Dispatch Station. I only mentioned it because I used it (and, later, the Conference) in conjunction with the Zoning Board. I sent a worker to the Zoning Board, took the research build bonus, then took the applicable research bonus. Next turn, I sent a worker to the Dispatch Station, recalling my worker from the Zoning Board. Next turn, my worker went back to the Zoning Board, again taking the research build bonus, then took the next research bonus. Next turn, I sent a worker to the Conference room, again recalling the worker from the Zoning Board. Next turn, my worker went back to the Zoning Board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Schoolmarm5 wrote:
Kevin Game Brewer wrote:
Dispatch Station

If you place a tentacle worker here as an action/placement, you'll effectively create two new actions/placements. These two new actions/placements do not benefit from the tentacles in the Dispatch Station. (They're separate actions).
The result of Dispatch Station is to recall a worker. Are you saying that placing a tentacle worker on it would allow you to recall two workers? I thought tentacles only grabbed extra food, gold, and components.

I actually didn't have a question about the Dispatch Station. I only mentioned it because I used it (and, later, the Conference) in conjunction with the Zoning Board. I sent a worker to the Zoning Board, took the research build bonus, then took the applicable research bonus. Next turn, I sent a worker to the Dispatch Station, recalling my worker from the Zoning Board. Next turn, my worker went back to the Zoning Board, again taking the research build bonus, then took the next research bonus. Next turn, I sent a worker to the Conference room, again recalling the worker from the Zoning Board. Next turn, my worker went back to the Zoning Board.

Sounds like there might be a misunderstanding here.

All tentacles do are let you collect extra resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
All tentacles do are let you collect extra resources.
That's what I thought. I didn't think they could do extra actions. I just wanted to know whether they could take extra resources that were build bonuses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Game Brewer
msg tools
publisher
sedjtroll wrote:
Schoolmarm5 wrote:
Kevin Game Brewer wrote:
Dispatch Station If you place a tentacle worker here as an action/placement, you'll effectively create two new actions/placements.

Sounds like there might be a misunderstanding here.

Oops, read that too quickly. There's a both a Dispatch Station ànd a Dispatch.

Dispatch Station (a buildable module) = Recall one worker.
Dispatch (a module perk) = Immediately place two workers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joe sedita
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
My question is with Dispatch (module) can you place one to get/recall one and then place another? No, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Wasterlain
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi
I have a problem with the double tentakle worker : does it get the first (+1 coin and/or +1 food) and the second bonus (+1 component)?

for example does a double tentacle worker get 2 extra food for a module build on a food space of the station ?

Thx for the answer.

Jérôme

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
epave de pwasson wrote:
Hi
I have a problem with the double tentakle worker : does it get the first (+1 coin and/or +1 food) and the second bonus (+1 component)?

for example does a double tentacle worker get 2 extra food for a module build on a food space of the station ?

Thx for the answer.

Jérôme

A Tentacle worker gets 1 food (or 1 coin) at the end of a turn in which they collect food (or coin).

A Double Tentacle worker gets 1 component at the end of a turn in which it collects a component.

A Double Tentacle worker is still a Tentacle worker, so it also gets 1 food (or coin) at the end of a turn in which it collects food (or coins).

But you never get 2 additional food a the end of a turn when you collect food.

Hope that helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Wasterlain
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
thanks a lot
The other players last night didn't agree with me about this and they didn't allow me to do it at my first turn.

Jerome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark C
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
So if a double tentacle worker you got a build bonus as part of a build where you optionally went to the module, and the module gave you food and coin, and the bonus gave you a component, you would get all three bonuses, correct? (1 extra food, 1 extra coin, 1 extra component).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamer_Dog wrote:
So if a double tentacle worker you got a build bonus as part of a build where you optionally went to the module, and the module gave you food and coin, and the bonus gave you a component, you would get all three bonuses, correct? (1 extra food, 1 extra coin, 1 extra component).

Correct.

At the end of an action where you collected food and coin, your tentacle worker (a double tentacle worker is still a tentacle worker) collects a bonus food and coin, and at the end of an action in which your double tentacle worker gets a component, you collect an additional component.

So at the end of an action where your double tentacle worker collects all three things (food, coin, and component), then you get a bonus food, coin, and component at the end of the action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.