Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Barchuk
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay so if there are no adversaries on the board during the adversary phase you automatically have a respite. I get that part. But is it completely optional whether you try to rest or not? Can you just skip the rest, avoiding a possible ambush, and immediately start a new round?

Right now my wife and I have 6 shards and each of our heroes has 3 skills. Assuming I'm understanding the respite rules correctly we almost always skip the rest since getting an ambush is likely to occur. Well this also means we never have any treasure. So I'm not entirely sure what it is but the respite rules feel like they're missing something. It just doesn't quite feel right to me. We also have a game of SoH going on right now too. Maybe there's a rule or two from there that might work better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cbarchuk wrote:
Okay so if there are no adversaries on the board during the adversary phase you automatically have a respite. I get that part. But is it completely optional whether you try to rest or not? Can you just skip the rest, avoiding a possible ambush, and immediately start a new round?

Right now my wife and I have 6 shards and each of our heroes has 3 skills. Assuming I'm understanding the respite rules correctly we almost always skip the rest since getting an ambush is likely to occur. Well this also means we never have any treasure. So I'm not entirely sure what it is but the respite rules feel like they're missing something. It just doesn't quite feel right to me. We also have a game of SoH going on right now too. Maybe there's a rule or two from there that might work better.

If there are no adversaries on the board at the start of the phase, there is a respite. Each player sets up their hero anywhere in the current chamber. Then, if they wish, the heroes can attempt to rest – if they do, each player rolls a dice. If at least one player rolls under the number of skills their hero has, there is an ambush (page 19), otherwise each player can either heal D3 wounds or search the room by rolling a dice, taking a treasure card if they roll a 4 or more.

Bolded part is mandatory, italicized is the optional part. I hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Barchuk
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply. Yea I thought we were doing it correctly but wanted to make sure. But the fear of an ambush keeps us from rarely ever choosing to actually rest. With 3 skills per hero, failing the ambush check is almost certain. So it seems to me the late game respite rules need a tweak of some sort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cbarchuk wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Yea I thought we were doing it correctly but wanted to make sure. But the fear of an ambush keeps us from rarely ever choosing to actually rest. With 3 skills per hero, failing the ambush check is almost certain. So it seems to me the late game respite rules need a tweak of some sort.

Yes and no. The design intention is for players to feel too much pressure from the threat of ambush towards the end of the campaign. By the final adventure there shouldn't be any respite possible because the rpessure cooker is at a boil.

If you want to minimize the pressure cooker simply slide the rule to the 2nd consecutive round causes the rolls of the D6. Trust me when you get to the final adventure it will make sense more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Barchuk
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay so you only roll for an ambush IF you decide to rest right? And your suggestion is to only add an ambush roll if you actually try to rest 2 times in a row? Or are you saying you roll for an ambush if you have 2 respites in a row along with the unexpected event? I think I get confused on what the respite is compared to the choice to rest. I do understand the pressure cooker effect the game is going for but it seems to make treasures essentially useless. None of our heroes have any treasures and haven't had any in a while. But again maybe that's the whole idea. Hey I've watched your Silver Tower videos on youtube. Very nicely done. I recall in one of the videos that you preferred the original respite rules. Is that still true and, if so, how come? Also are there any house rules that you've adopted for Silver Tower? Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So, there are a couple of side notes in regards to Respite.

1. There are no limits to the number of skill cards that a hero can have during an adventure. (from the FAQ p. 3 under renown and skills).

2. The new respite rules make it technically possible to have a rest (or do a search) after all 4 of the heroes have 2 Skill cards. The old rules made it impossible to have a rest after all heroes had 2 skill cards. (8 total skill cards + minimum dice roll of 1 (or higher) would trigger an ambush.) It you're not working with a full party of 4 then the original rules aren't horrible, but they're pretty brutal.

Also remember that the one of the options for using amulet fragments is that they can be used (by the characters holding them) to heal D3 wounds at the start of any turn before making your action roll. (That doesn't help with the searching for treasure.)

Shadows Over Hammerhal actually removes Respite as a mechanic, and Heroes are able to make a 'Search' check (1+ action) in the Hero phase if there are no Adversaries on the board and the room has not already been searched. On a roll of 6 something is discovered. Each additional search action attempt by the same hero decreases that roll requirement by 1 to a minimum of 4. (i.e. treasure discovered on a 6 the first search action, 5 on the second and a 4 on the third.)

The caveat on that is that if there are no adversaries on the board at the start of the Adversary phase you roll for an ambush, which occurs on a roll of 6 on a single die.

The 'Search Action' would actually translate rather well in ST, and answer the 'No treasure problem'.

So, I see it like:

Hero kills the last adversary on the board in the Hero Phase, before the start of the adversary turn and still has available actions.

They could perform a search action with a roll of 6+ for success with any remaining Hero Dice, if no other hero has successfully searched the room (Following SoH rules.)

No adversaries on the board at the start of the Adversary phase:

Triggers Respite. Setup characters anywhere on board.

If any Hero performed a 'Search Action' in the last hero phase, roll a D6 to check for ambush (because they were searching loudly)

Additionally; if they decide to 'rest' at the respite; check for ambush using ST rules (following the standard Respite rules) and they could either heal up D3 or do a search with a success of a 4+ roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cbarchuk wrote:
Okay so you only roll for an ambush IF you decide to rest right? And your suggestion is to only add an ambush roll if you actually try to rest 2 times in a row? Or are you saying you roll for an ambush if you have 2 respites in a row along with the unexpected event? I think I get confused on what the respite is compared to the choice to rest. I do understand the pressure cooker effect the game is going for but it seems to make treasures essentially useless. None of our heroes have any treasures and haven't had any in a while. But again maybe that's the whole idea. Hey I've watched your Silver Tower videos on youtube. Very nicely done. I recall in one of the videos that you preferred the original respite rules. Is that still true and, if so, how come? Also are there any house rules that you've adopted for Silver Tower? Thanks again.

You got it pretty well but I will just break it down in case anyone else reads this.

Heroes clear the board.
- Adversary phase starts with no enemies on the board.
1: Heroes did not respite on the prior round
***A: Heroes rearrange their heroes on the board
***B: Players decide to have a Rest - if no move skip ahead to C: -
*****a: Each hero rolls a D6, if anyone rolls a number less then their current number of skills there is an ambush
*****b: Check ambush on pg 19
*********1: if there was no ambush each hero decides to heal D3 or search the room D6 of 4+ equals found treasure. If there was an ambush ignore this step.
***C: Move on to next round

Of course if this is the 2nd Respite in a row BAD STUFF (tm) happens.

If you want more of a treasure hunting feel for the game I suggest making the ambush roll happen on the 2nd respite (completely ignoring it on the 1st respite) and the automatic ambush on the 3rd. This way you can still have a feeling of finding burried treasure but it really skews the game easier (great for playing with kids though). Again not to give spoilers but you will lose some of the fun of the final adventure by doing this (Fun translating to challenge, the narrative holds up).

Thanks for watching my video series. I do indeed still enjoy the original respite rules but that is because now that I know the story I play the game for the challenge. The older rules are much more brutal.

No real house rules though, besides sliding the respite one round so the kids can enjoy treasure hunting. Only use it when playing with the kids though. I imagine once I get bored of writing adventures for Hammerhal I might do some kind of Frankenstein grand epic adventure but that is way down the road.

THanks for watching.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Barchuk
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again for the clarification. Do you think any of the SoH rules such as some of the ones JS mentioned in his post work well for ST? I know a few folks have also tried the destiny dice and difficulty rules of SoH in ST. So just wondering if they worked well or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cbarchuk wrote:
Thanks again for the clarification. Do you think any of the SoH rules such as some of the ones JS mentioned in his post work well for ST? I know a few folks have also tried the destiny dice and difficulty rules of SoH in ST. So just wondering if they worked well or not.

For me, no. That isn't to say they couldn't, more of a lack of desire to do so. I do quite happily use the Hammerhal monsters and heroes in Silver Tower though if that counts.

Do note, I have completed the campaign multiple times and that does skew my opinions quite a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.