BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: WIP: EverSquad rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
The Evil... The Chaotic... The Wallaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
EverSquad
A Solitaire Game By Iffix Y Santaph
Welcome to EverSquad, Cadet. I hope you like lots of coffee. You’re going to need it.
First contact was hardly what we imagined. They didn’t fall from the skies, or rise from the oceans. They appeared through a rift due to some brain-case kid’s science project gone horribly wrong. At first, they were cute. That was the problem. They lulled the world into complacency. I’m afraid to admit, even I let my guard down a little. Anyhow, don’t trust cute. It’s the cute ones that’ll kill ye.

This is a Print& Play edition. It is my sincere hope that you will be able to procure the supplies necessary to enjoy this game. To play EverSquad, you will need to print the first 2 pages of this file. You will also need at least 6 dice. This works best if at least 4 of them are respectively Blue, Red, White, and Yellow. (The colors of the other two don’t matter, though it may be best to keep them separate from the main 4 by some means.) You will also need 20 each of cubes in Blue, Red, White, and Yellow. (If you detect a pattern already, you get a gold star.) You will also need pawns to move around the board. (This works best if their colors correspond to the meeples on the character cards.) You will also need 4 markers to keep track of the characters’ health.

Set-up
Place the 4 pawns representing the characters on the “1” sector of the hexagonal board.

Roll the primary 4 dice. Determine which of the values is the highest. If there is a discrepancy, tie breakers are based on the cube order of the chart (blue, red, white, yellow). The highest color should be marked at 2 on the chart, while the others are marked at 1.

Repopulation Phase
Acquire alien cubes according to the chart. Based on your rolls, your alien cubes will be placed as follows. First, based on your blue die value, place a cube in the indicated sector. And if there are more cubes to place, place 1 in the sector after it clockwise. Do the same for red, white, and yellow.
Example: If your chart indicates that you have 2 red cubes, and the red die you rolled is a 5, you would place a red cube in sector 5 and sector 6. Later in the game, you have an alien cube color on your chart marked at a higher value. For example, suppose blue cubes are marked at 4 on the chart. If you rolled a 3, then placing the cubes you would start in the 3 sector and place cubes 1 per sector going clockwise. (One cube in sectors 3, 4, 5, and 6.)
While we are referring to the chart, in subsequent rounds, when you roll your dice to determine which sectors you place your cubes in, if a die color corresponds to its present number on the chart, you will advance the marker to the next number.
Example: In the second round, you roll your dice to determine where cubes are placed. You roll a 1 with your yellow die. This corresponds to the the yellow cube marker on the chart. You will advance the yellow cube marker and will now add 2 yellow cubes to the board instead of 1, starting in position 1.

ACTION PHASE
Once cubes are placed, you are ready to begin the action phase.
Each character has up to 4 actions / attack dice.
As an action, your character may move 1 sector, recover (if in sector 1, restore your character’s health to maximum), or attempt an attack on the alien cubes located in his sector. You may spend an action to add an attack die to your roll.
Example: Professor M spends 1 action to move to another sector. He spends 1 action to recover his health. He has 2 actions left, and is therefore able to make an attack on the alien cubes with 2 dice.

Attack: When you roll to attack, consult the chart. If you roll any die in the value of 1 of the alien cubes in your sector, remove 1 cube per die attaining the corresponding value.
Example: The General rolls 4 dice. Consulting the chart, he determines that the red die he rolled corresponds to the values of the yellow or white cubes on the chart. There are 2 yellow cubes in his sector. He removes one of these from the sector.

Returning Cubes: A character may return alien cubes to their respecting collections after removing the cubes from the board. However, he may also keep the cubes removed, provided he needs them to access an ability. If you keep a cube, you must either use it to discard it, or spend an action to discard as many cubes as desired from your personal supply.

Special Character Actions
Cortez may spend 1 action to move from 1 sector to any other sector. He may spend an action to give one of his alien cubes to another character whose sector he shares.
The General may spend 1 action to discard all 4 colors of alien cubes to upgrade his weapon. He may later spend 1 action, when in the same sector as an ally with an inferior weapon to upgrade the ally’s weapon equal to his own. (This is the case, even if the weapon is significantly inferior.) When upgrading a weapon, the weapon may now remove +1 cube of a value corresponding to his dice roll.
Example: While in combat, the General rolls 3 dice. He rolls a 4 with 1 of his dice which corresponds to white and yellow cubes. He may remove 1 white cube and 1 yellow cube simultaneously with his upgraded weapon.
MEEPLE MAX may spend 1 action, after acquiring 2 yellow alien cubes, to create a charge. In so doing, he rolls a die (rerolling 1’s), and sets the die in the sector where he is presently located. From this time forward, each round, and whenever a character moves into the sector, the die decreases by 1 until it can no longer decrease, and detonates, clearing any cubes, or characters, in the sector.
Professor M may spend 1 action to recover (restore his health to maximum), regardless of which sector he is in. He may also, after moving into the central hex, spend 1 action, upon acquiring a number of alien cubes in all 4 colors corresponding to their values on the charts, to close the rift. Once this is done, no more aliens will be added to the game board.

Aliens Attack
Option 1: In simple or beginning play, you may treat all aliens as attacking the same way. In this case, at the end of the character actions, count the number of cubes in the same sector as the character, and reduce the character’s health by 1 per cube. Afterward, count cubes in sectors where no characters are present, and add these to the collection of cubes to be added before the next round.

Option 2: For a more complex game, your alien cubes may take on unique attack styles.
WHITE cubes don’t attack. However, cubes of other colors in the same sector increase their attack by 1.
RED cubes do 0 damage, +1 per each different colored cube (besides red) in the sector. This means +2 if the red cube is in the same sector as a white cube.
BLUE cubes always do 1 damage. However, if there is no character in their sector they move 1 sector toward the closest character.
YELLOW cubes always do 1 damage to characters in the sector they are in as well as adjacent sectors. (A white cube in the same sector as the yellow increases the attack. A white cube in an adjacent sector does not.) After the round, they multiply in sectors where there aren’t any characters.

Victory Conditions
You win if you keep all members of your squad alive, close the rift, and remove all alien cubes from the board. You lose if during the repopulation phase you run out of cubes, or if any of your characters is defeated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should state that, though this is going to take a while, if I'm able to complete the game in time, I'm going to try to submit it to the currently running Solitaire contest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

A PDF of these files should be available soon. I've gotten my behind handed to me twice playing this game tonight, but I was very close to a win on the 2nd game when things went south.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.