General Kale
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm hosting a learn-to-play at my local gaming store this weekend, and I'm confident I can drum up enough interest to get a league going. So I'm curious, what house rules are people using/intending to use?

I'm planning on using the following:

PRO PASSING OPTION - on a scattered pass, the coach who rolls higher has the option to declare the pass incomplete.

TIMEKEEPING - Any scoring play and any play that results in a change of possession only adds 1 minute to the clock.

BLOCKING OUT OF BOUNDS - if the ballcarrier is blocked into the sidelines, he is pushed out of bounds and the play only takes 1 minute, even if it's a running play.

SAFETY/TOUCHBACK - if a defending player gains possession in their own endzone, and is tackled, the result is a touchback and not a safety.

CALLING TIMEOUT - After a timeout is called, each team gets 2 real-world minutes instead of 1 to set up their formation and call their play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion, if you are doing a learn to play, I would just stick to the basic rules.

Sorry, least fun answer ever, lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Kale
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
yeah yeah, it'll be strictly vanilla for the intro. I'm talking about people who are running or want to run leagues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Malczak
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really using House Rules per se but we do use the Pro Passing option and I thought the Safety/Touchback rule was standard football anyways so that's the way we have played it.

Oh and we use the 2nd digit tie-breaker as it really accentuates some of the team match-ups.

I like your time-keeping rules, but we have also just played an 'Extended Game' which basically just plays all 12 cubes per half rather than for a full game. This keeps all of the original timing rules intact while still allowing for a longer game with more back and forth on the drives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Maguire
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talenn wrote:
I like your time-keeping rules, but we have also just played an 'Extended Game' which basically just plays all 12 cubes per half rather than for a full game. This keeps all of the original timing rules intact while still allowing for a longer game with more back and forth on the drives.

We did the same thing, but it was more by accident than intentional. We're going to keep our games at this length.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Chalifoux
msg tools
I'm going to do something with timing as well. Currently we play 8 squares a half. Enough to where someone can't have the ball all half. They could run the ball 4 times, but with one time out, you can still get a play in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.