Hide
5 Posts

Betrayal at House on the Hill» Forums » Rules

Subject: Boosting over maximum trait value rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hussayn Meghji
msg tools
A small question regarding traits and dice used in trait rolls. The example we had when playing was a character who reached their maximum value in Sanity, 7.
A Bloodstone adds 2 dice to a trait roll. We tried to use the Bloodstone's effect on a sanity roll. Does this mean that the number of dice used is: Sanity Trait Value (7) + Bloodstone Add 2 Dice to Trait Roll (2) to the maximum of 8 dice = Roll 8 dice?

Does the maximum trait value printed on the character card mean that you can never roll more than that number of dice for that trait regardless of any card's effect?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, the listed trait at the top of each ladder is the maximum number of that trait. However, if you have any item/rule that adds DICE, then you get that bonus. However, adding two to a Sanity Trait is interpreted as raising the stat up that ladder..there is nothing above that top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hussayn Meghji
msg tools
Thanks for the clarification!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James R. Gracen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition, I do not think the eight dice in the game are a hard maximum. If, like in your example above, a character needed to roll seven dice, and had an item which gave them two more dice to roll, I would roll the eight dice, record the total, then reroll one of them as the ninth die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
CavemanLogic wrote:
In addition, I do not think the eight dice in the game are a hard maximum. If, like in your example above, a character needed to roll seven dice, and had an item which gave them two more dice to roll, I would roll the eight dice, record the total, then reroll one of them as the ninth die.

But many of the cards that adds dice specifically says (up to a maximum of 8 dice), so we have always capped the maximum at 8 dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.