Subject: Adding some oomph to two-player games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M. Woolsey

Strafford
Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm eager to try this with 3, 4, and 5 players, but generally find myself playing head-to-head when I game. The game seems to be effective at making turtling impossible, and that's good. But I think we could've gotten away without ever having a skirmish between players. I found myself wanting the game to be a bit more frenetic than the number of turns allowed for, and I've been thinking of some house rules that might make that happen.

*More starting gold (35?), and possibly starting with two lieutenants instead of one, with the option to buy a third lieutenant.

*One extra first-level Quest card during setup.

*Tax revenue increases by one coin for each region of the kingdom a player controls.

*Victory points are earned for each round a player has unified a kingdom (i.e., controls each region), one per region the kingdom contains.

Should be able to try another two-player game in the coming week, and hopefully I'll be able to test some of these out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Woolsey

Strafford
Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some first thoughts on my first thoughts here...

SkyTwo wrote:

*More starting gold (35?), and possibly starting with two lieutenants instead of one, with the option to buy a third lieutenant.

We tried thirty gold and one starting lieutenant. Nice in that it permitted both players to build a decent army and a so-so army and start moving immediately.

SkyTwo wrote:
*One extra first-level Quest card during setup.

This certainly didn't seem to hurt anything. If nothing else, it still gives you options for questing if one of the objectives just isn't going to happen.

SkyTwo wrote:
*Tax revenue increases by one coin for each region of the kingdom a player controls.

This might need a little work. One thing it definitely did was let us get more expensive expansion units into play. It also meant buying more market cards. But it might be better to only give the bonus if a full kingdom is united, to further incentive kicking up the veggies in the enemy's garden.

SkyTwo wrote:
*Victory points are earned for each round a player has unified a kingdom (i.e., controls each region), one per region the kingdom contains.

No way. It was immediately obvious that anything more than a one-time bonus would break the game and make questing pointless. But that four- or five-VP bonus was a nice alternative to questing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.