Hide
3 Posts

Overworld» Forums » Rules

Subject: Adding Explorers and Scoring Dungeon Doors questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Palvado
msg tools
Very happy to have been one of the PnP winners! Still cutting out all the pieces and very much looking forward to trying it out. Reading through the rule book and I had a few questions:

Question 1:
From Page 6 - Add Explorers:

"If you returned a LAND HO Travel tile
to the bag and played a Coast tile instead,
add either a bird or a ship to any two
empty squares on Travel tiles that are
already added to the map."

So lets say there is an L tile that contains only 1 or 2 of another player's Chocoboats (see what I did there? lol). Would the above rule allow me to place my Chocoboats on a tile occupied by another player?

Question 2:
From Page 12 - Scoring Dungeon Doors:

"Dungeon doors score points by being far apart from each
other. Your dungeon score is the distance you travel to visit
all three of your dungeon doors and return to the one you
started from."

What happens if a player somehow only manages to place 1 or 2 dungeon doors? How would you score that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nemo Rathwald
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
exilea392 wrote:
Very happy to have been one of the PnP winners! Still cutting out all the pieces and very much looking forward to trying it out.

Excellent!
Quote:
Reading through the rule book and I had a few questions:

Question 1:
From Page 6 - Add Explorers:

"If you returned a LAND HO Travel tile
to the bag and played a Coast tile instead,
add either a bird or a ship to any two
empty squares on Travel tiles that are
already added to the map."

So lets say there is an L tile that contains only 1 or 2 of another player's Chocoboats (see what I did there? lol). Would the above rule allow me to place my Chocoboats on a tile occupied by another player?
Indeed you may, and indeed you should. There is no rule saying that nobody gets to occupy empty squares in a tile you occupy. Or, for that matter, in a region you occupy (a contiguous area of the same kind of pixel texture squares).

Each of the three pixel-texture squares on a Travel tile is occupied by either zero meeples or one meeple. A meeple only keeps other meeples out of its square while it is still present in the square. There are two common ways for squares to be empty.

1. If a player plays a tile and only has zero, one, or two explorer meeples to add to it, the empty squares are open for occupancy when a player plays a Coast tile.

2. Explorer meeples return to their player's supply when they take part in successfully competing against other explorers to place a dungeon door meeple. At that point, the squares they vacated are open for occupancy when a player plays a Coast tile.

This is true even if those squares are on tiles with other squares currently occupied by an opponent's explorer meeples.

It is also true even if another player still has meeples on other squares in the same region. This is how you can gain a majority in a region, and possibly earn the points for that region at the end of the game. Unless your opponent does it back to you before you run out of Coast tiles.

Or unless your cunning opponent deduces that the rules will allow... um... I've said too much.
Quote:
Question 2:
From Page 12 - Scoring Dungeon Doors:

"Dungeon doors score points by being far apart from each
other. Your dungeon score is the distance you travel to visit
all three of your dungeon doors and return to the one you
started from."

What happens if a player somehow only manages to place 1 or 2 dungeon doors? How would you score that?
The rule of thumb is to carry out instructions as much as possible, as literally as possible, and however much is impossible is ignored.

For example, if you place two dungeon doors, you would attempt to follow the three steps anyway, and see what would happen:

1. Begin by counting the shortest number of steps from the first door to the second door.
2. Skip going from where you are (at the second door) to the third door, because it is impossible, since there is no third door.
3. You would still be able to follow the third instruction, which is to return to where you started, and count those steps as well. "Or, There And Back Again."

If you only place one dungeon door, the shortest path to get from itself to itself has zero steps. You receive zero points for discovering this hole.

You have probably lost the game, but at least you can call yourself more respectable than these scruffy adventurers. For years afterward, you would keep telling people you can fix up the hole as soon as you can get a home improvement loan. If it is surrounded by Sea tiles, the bank assumes it is a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell. If it is surrounded by Land tiles, the bank assumes it is a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat. If only they would come out there and look at how cozy it is. Oh well. At least you win at comfort.

Thanks for asking! I'll address these in the next draft of the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Palvado
msg tools
Wow, so you could potentially beat a 3 door dungeon with a wider 2 door dungeon?

Thank you for the clarification!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.