BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Favorite theme? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Gaedke
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Hey guys, I haven't seen this question but what is your favorite board game theme?

Here is a link to a poll if so inclined:
https://docs.google.com/forms/u/0/d/e/1FAIpQLSeg1mjUlgLdZS01...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bokser
Israel
Pardes Hanna
flag msg tools
Guess What?
badge
You Rock.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm into fantasy, but theme isn't a deal breaker for me. If a game's good, it's good, regardless of its theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Any theme I can easily remove from the game and then ignore while playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kell
United States
Lino Lakes
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Any theme I can easily remove from the game and then ignore while playing it.

This is mostly true but I'm some games the theme is part of what makes it fun. IMO

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wolkey
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Asking me my favorite theme is like asking me my favorite food...

It depends. What I feel like. What's my mood. How long has it been since I have it. Who I'm with. How much time do I have? Etc, etc, etc.

There's about 15 different ones and it's constantly changing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll play all kinds of games across all kinds of themes but, generally speaking, games with based in sci-fi or with sci-fi elements tend to grab my attention more than others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hervan Rossi
Brazil
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you enable multiple answers, I think you'll get a better result (based on the feedback in this thread).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
I prefer Sci-Fi because I have a strong fascination with outer space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
King Arthur and the Knights of Round Table and like tales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite themes are

sci fi
fantasy
ww2
and, more recently, building power plants!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oblivion Doll
New Zealand
flag msg tools
I'm a big fan of a lot of games which DON'T fit my favourite theme (sci-fi), so my vote for that on this poll isn't necessarily saying that I'll only buy your game if it's my favourite thing.

In my mind, a "sci-fi" game that's a cheap reskin of something that was clearly intended for some other setting won't go down well just because it's sci-fi. A game that has a very abstract feel, but with a sci-fi theme, has a good chance of hooking my attention, though. Games with some other themes can get away with being so abstract the theme doesn't matter. Most of the time, when a game has a clear and distinct theme, I want that theme to actually tie into how the game works. I want to be able to imagine stories and find lore that explains the reasons behind the game mechanics.

If you make a historical wargame where warhammers are great against lightly-armoured troops, but you need a sword to cut through plate armour, I'm going to avoid the game on principle. If you have a sci-fi game where "hammers" are chunky impact-based weapons for knocking things around, and "swords" are some kind of weaponised cutting tool, that reversal of logic is justified.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres Montanes-Lleras
Colombia
Bogota
flag msg tools
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE (PLAYER)
badge
My first children's fantasy novel EL DRAGÓN DE VAPOR (illustrations by Marcos Toledo Porras)
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, the least connected to contemporary reality the better, starting with fantasy, then science fiction, then historical and finally present day.

Regarding the poll, I would personally include both dystopias and post-apocalyptic within science fiction, unless you are reffering to space sci-fi or space opera.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oblivion Doll
New Zealand
flag msg tools
montanus wrote:
I would personally include both dystopias and post-apocalyptic within science fiction, unless you are reffering to space sci-fi or space opera.

I've read some fantasy stories which are post-apocalyptic but still very much a fantasy setting. Similarly, some post-apocalyptic stories have ended up with a setting that is functionally more of a fantasy than a sci-fi story. When the apocalypse is the result of some kind of awakening of magical powers, or some super-psychic being that demolished technology and left the land ravaged while many people developed less extreme levels of psychic powers, there can be an argument for such a setting, full of "wizards" with mind powers and primitive weapons likes spears, swords, etc. and no firearms or other modern weaponry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Boyd
msg tools
badge
I'll just take those 12 points...
mbmbmbmbmb
Farming! Agricola, La Granja, Viticulture, Caverna... Farming's my favorite theme for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Move along nothing to see here. This is not the text you were looking for,
badge
I love scotch. Scotchy scotch scotch. Here it goes down, down into my belly.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pirates!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk K

New Kensington
Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a sucker for a good super hero/comic book theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.