Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » Rules

Subject: Spell & Weapon in fight? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig's Benfer
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I was playing Pathfinder for the first time last night with a friend who has a lot of experience in playing this game. I chose Ezren. My friend told me that I could NOT use BOTH a weapon (his Quarterstaff)AND one of his spells (like Lightning Touch) during combat....that I had to choose one or the other, but I don't see where it says this in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
You can only use one card at each portion of a test, so during the "establish what kind of test you're even doing" step (during which weapons or combat spells are generally used to do this establishing), it'll have to be one or the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what it says on p. 11 of the Mummy's Mask rulebook:

Some cards allow you to use a particular skill for a specific type of check, or to use one skill instead of another. (These cards generally say things like “For your combat check, use your Strength or Melee skill,” or “Use your Strength skill instead of your Diplomacy skill.”) You may play only 1 such card or use only 1 such power to determine which skill you’re using.

(bold emphasis added)

There should be a similar statement in the Rise of the Runelords rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to wkover.

Vic Wertz, who is in charge of the game at Paizo, has said that the governing rulebook for any set is the rulebook from the latest set (combined with any set-specific elements from your set's rulebook, ie ships in S&S or cohorts in Wrath).

Still:
RotR rulebook p.11 wrote:
Some cards may allow you to replace the required skill for a check with a different one; as part of this action, you may play only 1 card or use only 1 power that defines the skill you are going to use.

When you make a Combat check, you need to play a card or use a power that says "For your combat check..." (or else you have to use your Strength or Melee skill). You can only use 1 such card or power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Williams
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have definitely been playing this incorrectly, so thanks for the clarification. I've been using one card type per check, so a weapon+spell+item+blessing. Since you can only play one card (spell or weapon) for a combat check, does that mean you cannot play an item along with your one spell/weapon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
myw85 wrote:
I have definitely been playing this incorrectly, so thanks for the clarification.

Me too!

myw85 wrote:
I've been using one card type per check, so a weapon+spell+item+blessing. Since you can only play one card (spell or weapon) for a combat check, does that mean you cannot play an item along with your one spell/weapon?

From what they've said above I think it's only cards where it says 'for your combat check roll ...' that are limited to one. So you can use a weapon or spell as your main method of attack and also use an item that gives you a little boost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Boyen
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
myw85 wrote:
I have definitely been playing this incorrectly, so thanks for the clarification. I've been using one card type per check, so a weapon+spell+item+blessing. Since you can only play one card (spell or weapon) for a combat check, does that mean you cannot play an item along with your one spell/weapon?

Be careful with this. There are 2 different rules, that interact with each other:

1) the active player may play 1 card that defines the type of the check. In a combat situation, these are the cards that say: "For your combat check, ...)
2) in general, during a check every player may play 1 card of each type to help the check. This can be cards, like blessings that add dice to it.

so in itself, there is no restriction on playing both a weapon and a spell. You can attack with a weapon, and play a strength spell at the same time to boost your strength. There is also no problem to add a blessing/ally/item, as long as those just add dice to the check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Karian wrote:
myw85 wrote:

Be careful with this. There are 2 different rules, that interact with each other:

1) the active player may play 1 card that defines the type of the check. In a combat situation, these are the cards that say: "For your combat check, ...)
2) in general, during a check every player may play 1 card of each type to help the check. This can be cards, like blessings that add dice to it.

so in itself, there is no restriction on playing both a weapon and a spell. You can attack with a weapon, and play a strength spell at the same time to boost your strength. There is also no problem to add a blessing/ally/item, as long as those just add dice to the check.

It depends on the type of the spell. Generally you can play one weapon or one Attack spell. There can be cards though that modify this (e.g. weapons like daggers that can be discarded for an effect when you play another weapon).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Karian has it right.

You can only use one card or power that says "For your combat check..."

Otherwise you can play 1 card of each type (spell,item,etc.).

So: you could, for example, use the item Wand of Enervation, and play the spell Speed on yourself, and use the weapon Deathbane Light Crossbow, and play a Blessing of Erastil on yourself, all on the same combat check. (If you do, you are probably Lem.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
myw85 wrote:

This is highly dependent on which exact cards you're playing. But I'm pretty sure at least your Blessing doesn't say "for your combat check", it just adds dice to the check, so that's a completely different animal. Don't mix these two rules up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.