Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Perry
United States
Newtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always heard good things about SotM, but have always avoided it. Now I am thinking about getting it, but I hear that there are different editions of the game.

Query: Which should I get? Is one liked more than others? Is one better? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darksurtur
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkP1981 wrote:
I have always heard good things about SotM, but have always avoided it. Now I am thinking about getting it, but I hear that there are different editions of the game.

Query: Which should I get? Is one liked more than others? Is one better? Thanks!

There is only one (current) edition of the base game. The 1st edition has long been out of print and superseded. So feel free to purchase that - there have been no balance or text changes since the 1st edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antony Tran
Australia
Redfern
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get the second edition aka Enhanced Edition. The first edition had a number of changes between the versions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get this:

Don't get this:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Stull
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically there is a third edition that is being sold now. It's difference deal with the box art and it has an insert for the video game. Regardless, just avoid the first edition but that shouldn't be too hard unless you use eBay to buy this and if you do use eBay the first edition will likely be more expensive since it's not printed anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Perry
United States
Newtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I should have prefaced this by mentioning that I don't usually purchase games: I trade for them. So the first and second edition are both tradeable for. I am taking it that I should not consider this first edition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Miller
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is correct. You want the Enhanced Edition (2nd edition) for sure!

MarkP1981 wrote:
I guess I should have prefaced this by mentioning that I don't usually purchase games: I trade for them. So the first and second edition are both tradeable for. I am taking it that I should not consider this first edition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Karrde
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, I listed the notable differences between the two editions here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Arnold
Canada
Halifax
NS
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Another major mechanical change is that the first edition includes a mechanism for changing maximum HP; that is removed and cards are simplified in the second edition.

You should only get the first edition if you want a museum piece. To actually play the game, you want the second (Enhanced) edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.