Blood Rage» Forums » Rules

Subject: 108 point "loophole" that I wanted to double check rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spencer Arrasmith
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Yo, I just joined the forum, so I hope this is the right place to ask something like this.

Playing on Tabletop Simulator, I got to this point in Age 3:

The important cards for my question are the Sea Serpent, Eternal Dragons (12 points per boat death), Frigga's Sacrifice (destroy 2 units to move up 1 clan stat), and Frigga's Domain (pay one rage to invade from Valhalla).

It seemed like it was against the spirit of the game, but I was able to invade with both boats, kill the pair to gain a clan stat, then pay 1 rage each to bring them back, to then kill them again.

I came into the round with 9 rage, and had 7 by the time all of this was on the field (after playing Eternal Dragons). This meant I was able to do this loop 3 times for a total of 72 unanswered, unpreventable points. Then as a final zinger, I sacrificed my Sea Serpent to Ragnarok with my last rage for another 16 points.

Between the clan stat bonuses, Ragnarok, and Eternal Dragons, I earned 108 points that could not be prevented. If I had max rage at the start, I think I could have gotten 158 points in one turn.

Did I cheat? It felt like I did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bertrand Kintanar
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No you're good. that's one of the combos you can do within the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Arrasmith
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
I do feel like it fits within the rules, even if it wasn't intentional, but it goes against the spirit of the game.

Where's the glory in dying 4 times without ever seeing combat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matti Matilainen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dasoccerguy wrote:
Where's the glory in dying 4 times without ever seeing combat?

Imagine your neighbour clan sacrificing a boat full of warriors and a Sea Serpent for the glory of a god, and then seeing these guys come back from the death three times and every time getting instantly sacrficed again. Would you then think that that was pretty cool move, while you are picking berries with your clan mates?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Brown
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
No, I'M Spartacus
badge
\m/
mbmbmbmbmb
My maths says:

2 Rage for eternal dragons (free invade with serpent)
2 Rage for invading with the ship
1 Rage for Friggas sacrifice

Leaving only 4 Rage to run this loop.

Your opponents can slightly block it by killing your units before you can sacrifice them but unless they're getting a ton of glory from that they probably have better things to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Rush
msg tools
Yes this is commonly known to newer players and the "OP ship loop." However, the loop is not OP and rarely sees play in the 3 groups that I play this with. The reason being; people play with the intent to end age 3 as fast as possible. Once everything is pillaged then the age ends.

Rarely will people get more than 3 turns in Age 3. Both the ship loop and Odin's Throne strategies require many turns to build up a lot of glory, but since the age ends the ball can never get rolling and no one plays those cards anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D
Italy
Muggiò
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, playing again with the same people (or people not at their first game), I wouldn't count too much on seeing all those cards during the draft...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matheus Affonso
Brazil
Porto Alegre
RS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You needed at least 8 turns to do exactly what you did. That's a lot of time for age 3. But if your opponents didn't play well to keep you from doing it over and over, they're the only ones to blame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Arrasmith
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
FritzBraun wrote:
My maths says:

2 Rage for eternal dragons (free invade with serpent)
2 Rage for invading with the ship
1 Rage for Friggas sacrifice

Leaving only 4 Rage to run this loop.

Your opponents can slightly block it by killing your units before you can sacrifice them but unless they're getting a ton of glory from that they probably have better things to do.

My ships were already in Valhalla when I first invaded with them, so a cost of 2 to invade with both. I also had the Age 1 "Reduce upgrades by 1 Rage" upgrade, but after paying 0 for Frigga's Sacrifice I ended up replacing it with Frigga's Domain which cost 0 as well. I really did have 7 Rage to run this loop with.

We did miss the rule about an age ending when all provinces are pillaged, because another player spent his last rage to invade and entirely fill his unpillaged province (he was already maxed out on that clan stat). Obviously he would have ended the game had he known he could.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Meyer
Denmark
Trekantsområdet
flag msg tools
badge
Skål - Cheers - Gom Bui - Prost - Almien - Salut - Kampai - Na Zdrowie - Gan Bae - Qapla
mbmbmbmbmb
Dasoccerguy wrote:
My ships were already in Valhalla when I first invaded with them, so a cost of 2 to invade with both.

You did empty Valhalla at the end of every Age, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Arrasmith
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Yes we did. I had them both on the board in age 2, and they both died early in age 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Meyer
Denmark
Trekantsområdet
flag msg tools
badge
Skål - Cheers - Gom Bui - Prost - Almien - Salut - Kampai - Na Zdrowie - Gan Bae - Qapla
mbmbmbmbmb
Dasoccerguy wrote:
Yes we did. I had them both on the board in age 2, and they both died early in age 3.

wow

That is almost as close as a you are going to get to a "perfect storm" with this combo. No wonder it felt a bit OP.

Once in place, the only real counter is to end the game ASAP. And even that would be largely preventable by you if you manage to lock down one of the outer Provinces beforehand.

The effective counter is to not let this happen in the first place. As a rule, I never let Frigga's Domain or Eternal Dragons leave my hand during the draft unless I get both of them. The former is almost always useful to some extent. And the latter will probably at least net you 12 Glory even if you are not playing the Ship Loop which is not a terrible pay off for one card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Parker
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
gert74 wrote:
I never let Frigga's Domain or Eternal Dragons leave my hand during the draft unless I get both of them. The former is almost always useful to some extent.

Yes, Friggas Domain is always a first grab for me, unless I have a quest card in my hand from age 2 and I am dealt Odins throne, and I think I have the strength to hold territory for quests.
So you have to have that ship presence from age 2, and be dealt the card to make it happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Yohai
United States
Santa Fe
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mb
What is "OP"? What does it stand for. I know the ship routine, it sucks when someone pulls that off. We've seen it done, but it happens less now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Brown
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
No, I'M Spartacus
badge
\m/
mbmbmbmbmb
Overpowered
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.