SeaFall» Forums » Rules

Subject: Box 3 Questions SPOILERS rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Andrikopoulos
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Last night our group unlocked Box 3 which rose many questions regarding this and other stuff. So here goes:

Box 3 Questions
Spoiler (click to reveal)

1. After the player successfully explored a Skull site, he chose entry 1 which said that if it was the first tomb, then the Unearthed Secrets milestone was achieved. If not, we should put "X" sticker on the site. Since it was the first one we proceeded to do the milestone but it didn't say anywhere that we should sticker the site. Does that mean that the site is left unstickered and we could explore again or is this an omission on the Booke?

2. After reading the entry for the milestone, it instructed us to open the Box 3 but it didn't specify the timing (for the previous ones it said "at the end of this game". Does this mean that the box is opened and put into play at that moment? Although we did open it right there and then, we stored the contents to be put in the next game since putting stuff during the game would throw most of us off.

3. I am asking 1 & 2 BEFORE opening the tablets/curses deck so if there is an entry reading on those cards that I should do (like the previous boxes that had cards that said "READ ENTRY XXX") which explains anything, I am sorry for this

4. Is there any post explaining tombs in detail. It wouldn't hurt if I had all the info I need to explain it to the groups before game 4

Box 1 Question

5. On ship-to-ship combat, if the defending has an upgrade of +2 Raid, does it count on the dice the attacker will subtract? We played it that it did count but I just want to make sure.

Sorry for the long post/many questions, I find that keeping track of all those is hard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyp Ganner
Belgium
flag msg tools
1. We had the same problem. Actually, there's a small card in box 3 telling to read a specific entry in the logs. It should have been the first card you see when opening the box, but for us it was hidden somewhere in the deck.

2. This box (and some others) is immediately opened. See above, but the entry will tell you that you need to put everything in play right now.

3. See above

4.There must be, but I don't remember exactly. Here's an explanation:
A tomb is like any other site to explore. The main difference is that you don't know what kind of test you'll need to do. When exploring a tomb, you need to look at the last page of the Captain's booke to choose which place to plunder. It will send you to an entry in which the test will be explained (the difficulty is on the tomb sticker and the text on the last page gives you a hint about the kind of test you will face). Any special rule on an island applies to the tomb exploration and you get 1 glory point if you succeed the test (plus whatever the captain's booke might grant you).
If you succeed without taking any damage (this is written in the logs so you don't need to remember it), you will close the place you explored (at the end of the captain's booke. The tomb itself stays opened).
Sometimes, the tomb will be closed after a successful exploration. The site becomes useless.

5. The +2 raid only serves when you're raiding, not defending.

You're welcome. The rules are a mess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Andrikopoulos
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the fast and accurate reply! I hope we didn't mess up a lot by not putting it in play right away... (we will find out when we read the entry you mentioned which is somewhere between the unopened deck for us too!).

And about 5., I didn't see that coming... The hard part is explaining this to the group without getting a ton of heat for it (It was my ship that took advantage of it and it so happened that it was in the last turn after reaching the glory threshold... Having 5 raid was the reason the raid DID NOT take place, which would cost me 1 glory for sure and the game would go on for another round at least)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ganner wrote:

That's not true. If your defending flagship's raid is higher than its sail (including any upgrades that give you additional raid or sail) then the full amount of raid, again including upgrades, will be subtracted from the attacker's dice pool.

Quote:
The rules are a mess.

Sadly, that part is true!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That said, I have more sympathy for the rules and less for the players when the question is "I was told to open this box so we opened it, but we didn't open everything inside it so we didn't find key rules that were inside it and hence nothing made sense" although to be fair, the "read this entry" card really should be on the edge of the pack.

As forewarning, every box after this is opened as soon as the milestone is achieved, and has a card in it saying "read this entry now!" Open everything in a box when you unlock it, apart from the sleeved event cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Andrikopoulos
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
LeonardQuirm wrote:
Ganner wrote:

That's not true. If your defending flagship's raid is higher than its sail (including any upgrades that give you additional raid or sail) then the full amount of raid, again including upgrades, will be subtracted from the attacker's dice pool.

This is actually quite important so I would appreciate it if you had any citation for it!

LeonardQuirm wrote:
That said, I have more sympathy for the rules and less for the players when the question is "I was told to open this box so we opened it, but we didn't open everything inside it so we didn't find key rules that were inside it and hence nothing made sense" although to be fair, the "read this entry" card really should be on the edge of the pack.

As forewarning, every box after this is opened as soon as the milestone is achieved, and has a card in it saying "read this entry now!" Open everything in a box when you unlock it, apart from the sleeved event cards.

I cannot argue that we did wrong there (me more than the rest) but I will keep it in mind for further unlocks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyp Ganner
Belgium
flag msg tools
Quote:

Goodness gracious ! You're right ! Oo

Yes, sorry. I totally forgot that raid can be used instead of sailing (which is weird since I always use my raid value when I'm attacked).

Sorry John, must have been tired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Andrikopoulos
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ganner wrote:
Quote:

Goodness gracious ! You're right ! Oo

Yes, sorry. I totally forgot that raid can be used instead of sailing (which is weird since I always use my raid value when I'm attacked).

Sorry John, must have been tired.

No worries, since it was clarified!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Blackburn
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to sometimes asking you to make your Endeavor using stats other than Explore, temples have other ways to get a benefit--I think it was bonus dice, but I'm not completely sure and it might have been outright free successes. The text on the temples page hints at both of these things. Interpreting them well can help a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.