14 Posts

Legendary: X-Men» Forums » General

Subject: Does anyone else hate saving bystanders and beating Shadow X? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Viet Tran
msg tools
I mostly play this game solo with Sky Zero's solo variant

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1200976/golden-solo-ruleset...

But I was wondering if anyone else hates saving the bystanders and villains that join your deck after you beat them. Sometimes they dont go with your strategy and just take up space in your deck. Im wondering if Im just being a curmudgeon or if its different since I play mostly solo. Wondering if I should houserule whether I want to put them in my deck or kind of make it a pseudo punishment as part of the game.

Still loving it! just wondering how everyone feels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Aren't they optional?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:
Aren't they optional?

Nope. They all have "Gain this as a hero". Not "You may gain this as a hero".

Frankly, I think that's part of the strategy in the game. You can let the villain escape if you don't want them to clog your deck, but that may hurt you in the long run...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vietbtran wrote:
I mostly play this game solo with Sky Zero's solo variant

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1200976/golden-solo-ruleset...

But I was wondering if anyone else hates saving the bystanders and villains that join your deck after you beat them. Sometimes they dont go with your strategy and just take up space in your deck. Im wondering if Im just being a curmudgeon or if its different since I play mostly solo. Wondering if I should houserule whether I want to put them in my deck or kind of make it a pseudo punishment as part of the game.

It's no different than the recruitable Villains in Secret Wars such as X-Men '92. I hate using the Thor Corps Henchman group for that same reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
swirlsaepi wrote:
Vietbtran wrote:

It's no different than the recruitable Villains in Secret Wars such as X-Men '92. I hate using the Thor Corps Henchman group for that same reason.

For me, the worst ones are the schemes with S.H.I.E.L.D. Officers as villains. You beat them, then have to recruit them. Captured heroes aren't as bad, but they still demand that you alter your deck strategy (as said above, that's not always a bad thing, just another facet of the scheme you have to work around).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They sure can be a penalty instead of a boon, especially if you're playing solo. You also lose out on points if that's important to you. Frankly, most of the Pet Avengers are worse than a normal sidekick too.

Like others said though, that's just part of the game. You don't have to use the new sidekicks, but I guess if you're playing Shadow King you are going to use Shadow-X.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm one who is very controlling of what goes into my deck, but in a game like that I'd try my best to balance it out with as much draw power I can find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
jhochges wrote:
Frankly, most of the Pet Avengers are worse than a normal sidekick too.

That is by design. Clearly they believed that Sidekicks were too strong that the pet avengers were added to weaken them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:
jhochges wrote:
Frankly, most of the Pet Avengers are worse than a normal sidekick too.

That is by design. Clearly they believed that Sidekicks were too strong that the pet avengers were added to weaken them.

Can't recall reading that before. Are you able to point out where that was? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhochges wrote:
They sure can be a penalty instead of a boon, especially if you're playing solo. You also lose out on points if that's important to you. Frankly, most of the Pet Avengers are worse than a normal sidekick too.

Like others said though, that's just part of the game. You don't have to use the new sidekicks, but I guess if you're playing Shadow King you are going to use Shadow-X.

Or just play Advanced Solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
jhochges wrote:

Can't recall reading that before. Are you able to point out where that was? Thanks.

I don't think they said did it. It just seems obvious to me, but that is my opinion.

Clearly every single one of the pet avengers isn't remotely as useful as the draw 1 card of the original sidekicks.

The main reason to make such a thing is if they wanted to water down the sidekick deck, because frankly they make the deck incredibly easier when you use them as there is no reason not to waste 2 recruit which you most of the time don't need beyond a certain point on getting an extra draw later on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:
jhochges wrote:

I don't think they said did it. It just seems obvious to me, but that is my opinion.

Clearly every single one of the pet avengers isn't remotely as useful as the draw 1 card of the original sidekicks.

The main reason to make such a thing is if they wanted to water down the sidekick deck, because frankly they make the deck incredibly easier when you use them as there is no reason not to waste 2 recruit which you most of the time don't need beyond a certain point on getting an extra draw later on.

Thanks for clarifying, because the way you stated it previously, it seemed to indicate that Upper Deck had said that they designed the cards specifically to reduce the power of the sidekick deck, and I couldn't remember ever seeing that anywhere.

Thank you for sharing your theory though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryin
United States
Paris
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They should have made them with VPs, and if you take it as a hero, you don't get the VPs, but you may choose to put it in your victory pile and get the VPs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
klakak wrote:
They should have made them with VPs, and if you take it as a hero, you don't get the VPs, but you may choose to put it in your victory pile and get the VPs.

I always though you should get both, maybe reduced VP. I guess it works out a bit for this set without the VPs though, because you can't use Piercing Energy against them making them tougher to fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.