16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Searching for old school-style scifi game / small space rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hannes Rommanov
msg tools
Hi,

i recently found myself enjoying boardgames very much and left all my pc-games behind. I own Eldritch-Horror, Arkham-Horror LCG, Mansion of Madness 2nd Edition, Doom-Board Game and Star Wars LCG.

Im searching for a scifi game (e.g. old classic) with 80's style or modern style. Im playing solo / coop or pure solo.

Main language is german but don't mind english. Complexity should be as high as possible but i want to play primary outside on the balcony (small table-space).

It could be a small game with board or card game, i dont mind. It should be scifi or space-game (exploration, strategy or 4x) with little or no luck (no dice game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Mountain view
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like High Frontier might interest you, along with it's derivatives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hannes Rommanov
msg tools

Indeed I will get this as soon as possible for my big table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Siford
msg tools
I have also left all my PC games behind. Boardgames are a lot more fun!

You seem to like strongly thematic games. Have you come across Star Fleet Frontiers? Nothing more 80s than Star Trek. It isn't a small game though. In mechanics it is related to Mage Knight which is regarded as one of the best solo games to play.

Another one is Sentinels of the Multiverse. It can be solo or co-op. It reminds me of my old Villains & Vigilante rpg sessions back in the 80s.

Race for the Galaxy also has a solo expansion. I prefer this one against others but the solo expansion might suit you. Very strong scifi theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hannes Rommanov
msg tools

Hi Mark,

yes your right i prefer strong themes.

Thanks for your recommendations, SFF takes too much space.

Race for the Galaxy sounds very interesting, which expansion do i need for solo play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love High Frontier.

Two others I've watched playthroughs for and have on my my wish list that you might enjoy are: Hidden Intruder and Last Frontier: The Vesuvius Incident. I know these are available from Print & Play Productions.

Not 80s, but another great space game (if you are looking for logistical planning and rocket building) is Leaving Earth. I believe these have to be ordered direct from Luminaris itself (the maker of the game). Wonderful quality, but there is a definite delay in shipping (I ordered mine and it was about 1 month to receive in the US - I think they make them on-demand and thus have production time).

I assume you are aware of Space Hulk, which is basically the 80s film Aliens in board game form.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Bourke
Australia
Blackmans Bay
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OGRE by Steve Jackson Games has been reprinted (pocket version) as a result of the successful Kickstarter - it's scifi, oldschool, small and you should be able to track down a copy for under ten euros!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hannes Rommanov
msg tools
Nice recommendations, thx!

Some hidden gems in there it seems (at least to me ) Hidden Intruder looks nice but the comments say its easy to win. Last Frontier is too dice dependant i think.

Race for the Galaxy, Ogre pocket version , Leaving Earth sounds all very interesting in my ears. Space Hulk Death Angel is there too, i forgot.

Im leaning towards Race for the Galaxy or Leaving Earth. Which one to get for mainly solo play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Siford
msg tools
Re: Race I'm pretty sure it is the Gathering Storm expansion. Has a good reputation for solo. Not sure about table space although Race can be played on a coffee table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike De Groote
Belgium
Heist-op-den-berg
antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
something quick? Stellar Conflict just play the two sides with to much tought :p

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Verbosity wrote:
I love High Frontier.

Two others I've watched playthroughs for and have on my my wish list that you might enjoy are: Hidden Intruder and Last Frontier: The Vesuvius Incident. I know these are available from Print & Play Productions.

Not 80s, but another great space game (if you are looking for logistical planning and rocket building) is Leaving Earth. I believe these have to be ordered direct from Luminaris itself (the maker of the game). Wonderful quality, but there is a definite delay in shipping (I ordered mine and it was about 1 month to receive in the US - I think they make them on-demand and thus have production time).

I assume you are aware of Space Hulk, which is basically the 80s film Aliens in board game form.

You can order Leaving Earth from Board Game Guru in the UK.
http://www.boardgameguru.co.uk/
according to the website it will be ready to ship starting TODAY (July 5). (mine is ordered, I have been waiting for today.) HA! The 'will be ready to ship' is all gone, it's just 'order away' now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Empires: 4X would seem to be an obvious choice. Small footprint, solo capable, nice level of complexity, old school approach to the space 4x genre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you say '80s style, do you mean themes reminescent of the '80s, or games from the '80s?

I'd say SpaceHulk fits the bill if you have space.

You said German and small so Perry Rhodan comes to mind. A whole series of games there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hannes Rommanov
msg tools
@JPotter: reminescent do not have to be from the 80's...i only like the old style very much but like modern theme too.

Table on balcony is 31 x 31 inches...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Xoran wrote:
Race for the Galaxy sounds very interesting, which expansion do i need for solo play?
You'll need Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hannes Rommanov
msg tools

I ended up buying "Star Trek: Frontiers" and getting a bigger table.

Live long and prosper
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.