Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SPAM turns 80 today.

(The following sketch, not quite as old.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew
Australia
bayswater
western australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok.. I'll bite.
What was the first instance of SPAM that was sent and how do we know it was 80 years ago today?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
antiussentiment wrote:
Ok.. I'll bite.
What was the first instance of SPAM that was sent and how do we know it was 80 years ago today?

...actually that makes me wonder how we equated pressed canned meat with random unsolicited messages. There's got to be a connection there somewhere, but I'm just not seeing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffreyac wrote:
antiussentiment wrote:
Ok.. I'll bite.

...actually that makes me wonder how we equated pressed canned meat with random unsolicited messages. There's got to be a connection there somewhere, but I'm just not seeing it.
Watch the Monty Python clip. The idea of getting spammed, i.e. continually being barraged by something unwanted, originated there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
antiussentiment wrote:
Ok.. I'll bite.
I am not sure any one ever sent spam when it was first invented (except I suppose to the shops that stocked it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Cramer
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mmmmmmm...I love SPAM. Salty, savory, crispy when fried. Good stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
jeffreyac wrote:
antiussentiment wrote:
Ok.. I'll bite.

Watch the Monty Python clip. The idea of getting spammed, i.e. continually being barraged by something unwanted, originated there.
Watch the clip, it is about having to put of with spam in everything.

Spam Fritters, Spam Rissoles, Spam bloody sandwiches. It was the plastic cheese of it's day "can I actually get something that does not have cheese?".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
Coyotek4 wrote:
SPAM turns 80 today.

Actually, my birthday is in November. But thanks for thinking of me.

BuckWilde wrote:
Mmmmmmm...I love SPAM.

I love you too, man.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
antiussentiment wrote:
Ok.. I'll bite.

First tinned pork shoulder product of this name sold in 1937...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
wifwendell wrote:

Has anyone here ever tried a spamburger like the one depicted on the package? How are they?

And more importantly, I wonder how they compare to the infamous cheeseburger in a can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mutton javelin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arrrh

no really

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffreyac wrote:
antiussentiment wrote:
Ok.. I'll bite.

If only there was an easily accessed vast resource of information available to us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
mbmbmbmbmb
BuckWilde wrote:
Mmmmmmm...I love SPAM. Salty, savory, crispy when fried. Good stuff.

[Checks to see if BuckWilde is from Hawaii ... isn't. Hmm.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
I miss spamcakes from when I was a kid....not sure why I have to miss them, I'm a grown-ass man. I could totally make them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
I miss spamcakes from when I was a kid....not sure why I have to miss them, I'm a grown-ass man. I could totally make them.
That looks disgusting. And like something that would contribute to the"grown-ass" situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
That looks disgusting. And like something that would contribute to the"grown-ass" situation.

Don't knock it....add some syrup, and it's pretty good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
jeffreyac wrote:
antiussentiment wrote:
Ok.. I'll bite.

If only there was an easily accessed vast resource of information available to us.

Didn't need to read that (though I looked at the first couple of paragraphs of the History section) to remember Cantor and Siegel, the "green card lawyers". Early 1994 I see (I didn't remember which year exactly) which makes sense when 1993 is usually considered the start of the permanent September.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The Green Card spam of 1994 was not famous for being the first commercial mass spam, it was the first that didn't get the original posters kicked off the internet.

Yes children, gather 'round, because back in my day we kicked people off the internet for posting ads. What's that you say? That couldn't be possible? Ha! Remember back in the day, the internet ran on phones. And phones need someone to answer them. And if you posted an ad yesterday, the branch node that served your phone connection wouldn't allow you to connect today. Yes, that really happened. In fact, it was such common knowledge that your node could be cut for a day that most people were very careful not to post ads!

But then those Green Card jerks threatened to sue the upstream node and BAM! ads from that day to this.

But to say the Green Card spam was first is simply false.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In 1937 the first batch of Spam was made. Any day now, they'll need to make another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
professorguy wrote:

The Green Card spam of 1994 was not famous for being the first commercial mass spam, it was the first that didn't get the original posters kicked off the internet.

Yes children, gather 'round, because back in my day we kicked people off the internet for posting ads. What's that you say? That couldn't be possible? Ha! Remember back in the day, the internet ran on phones. And phones need someone to answer them. And if you posted an ad yesterday, the branch node that served your phone connection wouldn't allow you to connect today. Yes, that really happened. In fact, it was such common knowledge that your node could be cut for a day that most people were very careful not to post ads!

But then those Green Card jerks threatened to sue the upstream node and BAM! ads from that day to this.

But to say the Green Card spam was first is simply false.

Which is why I didn't. I referred to the Wikipedia article and its history section. Read that and it has what it claims to be the first recorded instance, before Cantor and Siegel.

But simply posting an advert would not have been classified as spam. What made it spam was posting multiple copies. (There used to be distinctions as to exactly how.) Cantor and Siegel hit multiple Usenet groups. But advertising by multiple posting still didn't make them first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.