Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Keeler
Germany
Mittelbrunn
Rhineland-Palatinate
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I just started playing this game a few months ago and am executing night combat patrols in Mission #5 of the Normandy campaign. I'm finding the rules on illumination to be very confusing. I think I know how they are supposed to work, but I believe the 2017 rulebook is wrong/confusing in 8.2.

I played the first several missions using the previous 2nd Ed. rule book. But once the 2017 rulebook posted online, I started using this latest rulebook. As my night patrol has encountered mortar illumination, I'm finding a problem with paragraph 8.2 in the 2017 rules. First of all, the rules don't address where the enemy illumination marker is placed. I understand from other forum posts that I place the enemy illumination over the card of my friendly unit that triggered the contact. That make sense and I have no issue with that other than the rules don't address it. The bigger problem is what 8.2 has to say about visibility range: "Illuminated units can see adjacent cards per normal LOS rules, as well as other Illuminated cards out to normal visibility range." This makes it sound like illumination only improves the ability of the illuminated unit to see other illuminated cards. But I think the intent is that units on illuminated cards are highlighted for OTHER units to see up to normal visibility rules instead of limited visibility rules. Paragraph 8.2 of the 2nd Ed rule book is actually more clear than the 2017 rule book: "Any card that is under the effect of illumination is illuminated. Units have their normal range to illuminated cards."

Here is the situation that is driving my question:

Lead assault team of patrolling platoon encounters a LMG nest firing from the card in front of it. Enemy mortar illumination is also part of the enemy contact. VOF marker is placed and the LMG nest is spotted. I placed the mortar illumination over my triggering lead assault team and that mortar illumination is also illuminating the card that the German LMG nest is firing from, albeit at a lower illumination effect. I have a heavy machine unit on high ground sitting in the dark at very long range. My understanding is that my HMG opens fire on the illuminated German LMG because the German LMG is illuminated (and spotted) and is therefore visible to other units out to normal visibility range as long as the German LMG remains illuminated.

I think paragraph 8.2 of the 2017 rule book needs fixed. I apologize if this has been addressed already. My searches of the forum did not really answer this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When in doubt, use common sense.

You are right, the newest version doe seem to be missing an "any illuminated unit can be attacked" rule.

By combining both rules, I read it as follows:

Units on illuminated cards can be attacked from any card with a LOS, using the visibility penalty adjusted for illumination.

Units in illuminated cards can attack adjacent non-illuminated cards if they have an LOS, using the visibility penalty adjusted by the (adjacent illumination) value (representing the fact that illuminations spread out into adjacent cards, to some extent).

All units can attack adjacent non illuminated units, using the full visibility penalty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Keeler
Germany
Mittelbrunn
Rhineland-Palatinate
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
This is my understanding as well. Now I just need to figure out how & when to effectively employ my own illumination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danberniekeeler wrote:
This is my understanding as well. Now I just need to figure out how & when to effectively employ my own illumination.

I would recommend trying different options and rejecting those that don't work. You know, use the "process of illumination".

Sorry, couldn't resist a pun opportunity. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Keeler
Germany
Mittelbrunn
Rhineland-Palatinate
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Nice pun.

I am figuring out that night missions drive me to take a bit more risk sending HQ/staff leaders and artillery/mortar fire control teams further forward (into cards still under VOF) to ensure that I have sufficient orders available on that card to illuminate enemy contacts so that I can quickly get longer range and/or heavy fire going in addition to lobbing bazooka grenades/rifle grenades and deploying smoke. The extra risk of bringing leaders into a card under VOF is mostly offset by the protection of limited night and smoke visibility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, that sounds realistic if they are leading night Ops. I don't have any game play experience to add on this, but in general real night ops need to stay in tighter communications somehow because usual range is reduced. It's a concentrated focus of higher risk for higher reward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.