Hide
3 Posts

The Castle of the Devil» Forums » General

Subject: Broken meta? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Záleta
msg tools
Hranie doskoviek každú nedeľu u Dřeváka v Brne!
badge
Hranie doskoviek každú nedeľu u Dřeváka v Brne!
mbmbmbmbmb
A rather strange thing happened when I was explaining the game to my usual gaming group last night. They have swiftly concluded, that a player would only accept a bag of secrets if it later changes to the item of his team. As a consequence, once such a trade was done, other players would use the spy action to take a look at which one of the two bags it is and accordingly divide into two sides very soon in the game. Next, the side that would squeeze more power in a combat would win.

Were we doing something wrong, or is this course of action quite normal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
MartenInfinite wrote:
A rather strange thing happened when I was explaining the game to my usual gaming group last night. They have swiftly concluded, that a player would only accept a bag of secrets if it later changes to the item of his team. As a consequence, once such a trade was done, other players would use the spy action to take a look at which one of the two bags it is and accordingly divide into two sides very soon in the game. Next, the side that would squeeze more power in a combat would win.

Were we doing something wrong, or is this course of action quite normal?

It's never happened when I've played. I can remember attempts to use the bag in similar ways but I can't remember it being more successful than beating people up or using trades generally to solve it. I might see if I can engineer it and report back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Well whoever came up with that idea will have to rethink their strategy to avoid being targeted by abilities and attacks. It's all about communication (implicit and explicit) as well as miscommunication (implicit and explicit).

What that player is effectively doing is giving away what team he's on, and the problem with that is that in a game of even number of players, there will be a higher chance for the opposing team to find out about him than their own team because the opposing his own team is equal to the number of opponents -1 (the player himself).

There is a lot of meta-play in this game for sure but it is very dynamic and subject to changing quite a bit over the course of several games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.