5 Posts

1805: Sea of Glory» Forums » General

Subject: Vassal community? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sebastiaan Ringoot
msg tools
Hello

Is anyone playing this game through Vassal?

If so I'd be willing to play a game with a fellow admiral-wannaba after the summer.

I have vassal experience ( star wars rebellion ) but I have not looked into the vassal module of 1805 SoG yet.

Any answer would be helpfull.

( Also small rules question : how and when does manpower change? )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
From the living rules (which I highly recommend!):

"Available manpower points fluctuate by random events, enemy activity, and by dates on the Game Turn Track.

* The Lord Barham random event is triggered the first time the Allied player sorties from Brest.
* When the British control Algiers, or on Sep III, the Spanish Manpower Draft takes effect. Spanish manpower moves to the “Manpower Draft” box.
* The random events 2) Napoleon Strips the Dutch Navy, 3) Lord Barham, 6) Spanish Manpower Surge, 9) French Manpower Surge, and 12) The Sea Fencibles each affect available manpower."

A lot of people have played it via Vassal. I haven't in years but lately I've been thinking about getting back into it for another game. It has, to my knowledge, one of the very best Vassal modules ever made. It's a great way to play the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Fry
United States
Temperance
MI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
My father (circa 1945). He navigated B-24's (5thAF 22ndBG) in the Pacific Theater.
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan is the official 1805 Rules Guru.

I could also play in the fall. (Mid to late October.)

Rob Doane's Vassal module is extremely well done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastiaan Ringoot
msg tools
Thanks for the answers.

I'll check in after the summer to find an opponent for a Vassal game, good to hear it's possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Stevens
Scotland
Kelso
Roxburghshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I am playing on Wednesday evenings, 2000-2200 hrs GMT (London Time) with a good friend using Skype.

If anyone wants to drop on in and watch please feel free.

We have even experimented with playing the battles themselves using Flying Colors. We think it works quite well where both sides agree - a one sided game is not much fun.

We think the game magnificently captures the period and the cat and mouse nature of the blockade activity. As the Allies the start of the game is a little frustrating as the opportunities are not good and you are waiting patiently for that manpower draft and lots of storms to affect the Brits who seem to be able to recycle quite quickly.

Great feel to the game though. Started gaming with WS&IM and this takes things to a whole new level. :-)

Neil
19 Feb 2018
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.