Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i love the concept of NA's clock and am impressed by its implementation. i hope to see more clocks like this in future games. However, i very much dislike these physical aspects of it:

A) Its size. It's huge. It takes up way too much table space for what it does.

B) Moving the hands is unwieldy. Even in games with a single clock hand, e.g. Elder Sign, it's too fiddly to deal with during play. In particular, the fact that the hands physically overlap the space used by activation tokens is truly annoying.

Unfortunately, there's really not much one can do about problem (A). The device is as big as it is, and it cannot, without physical modification, be placed to take up less space. For problem (B) there's a trivial solution: use pawns or glass beads to mark the scenario's current and ending hours and minutes. For this, four distinct beads/pawns are needed (two hours and two minutes).

To try to address these [perceived] problems, i've created a custom clock which i call, rather uncreatively, the "digital clock" (though there's nothing digital about it). The goal of this is to (A) take up less space and (B) be less fiddly. It provably achieves (A), but whether or not it achieves (B) is really a matter of personal taste (for which there is no accounting).

Pics or it didn't happen:

(That's black foam core labeled with gold and copper paint pens.)

Okay, it doesn't take up much less space, and there's not much room for activation tokens, but its shape is more efficient and there are no hands to twist around. With a little bit of re-working, this could be made to stand up, taking up far less space. If it were made of wood, we could drill holes in it and use wooden pegs to mark the time. We could also saw some slits in it so that the pieces can stand upright. (Oooooh... i like that idea, and i have to way to add that to this model.)

It measures 14x21cm, each cell being 7x3.5cm, and there's are actually two very good reasons for that:

1) i had a spare piece of foam core laying around measuring 14x21cm :-D and...

2) 21cm divided by 6 (clock sectors) is 3.5cm (the exact height i wanted for each cell). 21cm is, not coincidentally, the width of ISO A4 paper resp. A4 foam core.

i'd like to add the Zodiac signs to it, but i first need to clarify an ambiguity: does Capricorn correspond to 12 or 1 on the clock? i assume it's 1, but i'm not certain about that.

If others have built variant clocks, i would love to see them - i'm always on the lookout for a more efficient variant, provided it doesn't require too much effort, workshop tools, or expertise to build.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Bernardini
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
i love the concept of NA's clock and am impressed by its implementation. i hope to see more clocks like this in future games. However, i very much dislike these physical aspects of it:

A) Its size. It's huge. It takes up way too much table space for what it does.

B) Moving the hands is unwieldy. Even in games with a single clock hand, e.g. Elder Sign, it's too fiddly to deal with during play. In particular, the fact that the hands physically overlap the space used by activation tokens is truly annoying.

Unfortunately, there's really not much one can do about problem (A). The device is as big as it is, and it cannot, without physical modification, be placed to take up less space. For problem (B) there's a trivial solution: use pawns or glass beads to mark the scenario's current and ending hours and minutes. For this, four distinct beads/pawns are needed (two hours and two minutes).

To try to address these [perceived] problems, i've created a custom clock which i call, rather uncreatively, the "digital clock" (though there's nothing digital about it). The goal of this is to (A) take up less space and (B) be less fiddly. It provably achieves (A), but whether or not it achieves (B) is really a matter of personal taste (for which there is no accounting).

Pics or it didn't happen:

(That's black foam core labeled with gold and copper paint pens.)

Okay, it doesn't take up much less space, and there's not much room for activation tokens, but its shape is more efficient and there are no hands to twist around. With a little bit of re-working, this could be made to stand up, taking up far less space. If it were made of wood, we could drill holes in it and use wooden pegs to mark the time. We could also saw some slits in it so that the pieces can stand upright. (Oooooh... i like that idea, and i have to way to add that to this model.)

It measures 14x21cm, each cell being 7x3.5cm, and there's are actually two very good reasons for that:

1) i had a spare piece of foam core laying around measuring 14x21cm :-D and...

2) 21cm divided by 6 (clock sectors) is 3.5cm (the exact height i wanted for each cell). 21cm is, not coincidentally, the width of ISO A4 paper resp. A4 foam core.

i'd like to add the Zodiac signs to it, but i first need to clarify an ambiguity: does Capricorn correspond to 12 or 1 on the clock? i assume it's 1, but i'm not certain about that.

Yes the Capricorn correspond to the "1" .

If others have built variant clocks, i would love to see them - i'm always on the lookout for a more efficient variant, provided it doesn't require too much effort, workshop tools, or expertise to build.

We love our Horologium but i understand your concern, in fact we have improved the design of that element with the Sine Tempore Momentum, that have more short and easy-to-use hands. I love so much your initiative and is a smart solution meanwhile we wait for Nova Aetas 2 eheheheh

Luca LMS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.