6 Posts

Boots on the Ground» Forums » Variants

Subject: Action Point System rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Graham
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I am enjoying Boots on the Ground but my biggest complaint is the lack of individual personalities during team activation. Bored with rolling zero modifiers and everything feeling generic I decided to use a Action Point Allowance system.

1 Point - Move any squad member their specialization movement allowance. Squad members can only move once per turn.

1 point - Fire using any squad member's specialization fire rating. Squad members can only fire once per activation.

1 point - Use any members specialization ability. A special ability can only be used once per activation.

I started with 6 action points per turn but that made the first scenario very easy. I then dropped it to 5 AP and finished with first scenario with 7 cards left and 1 dead squad member. So I need to try another scenario with 5 to see if that is still OP.

Another adjust besides dropping to 4 AP is to make the scout special ability cost 2 points.

I love this system over the generic feel of the base rules. This limits what you can do while still having the feeling that each squad member is different. Also, I use each members fire modifier in defense for Insurgents that are already on the board. So no modifiers for newly placed insurgents (Insurgents that have been placed by a card on the current round by a card that says place and fire) to simulate an ambush, the leader still gets +1 though.

If you test it out please let me know what you think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Neal
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is worth trying out. I find that it usually makes sense to move the squad as a team to avoid having stragglers picked off. So, as you say, quite often the members end up being very generic. Still a good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Graham
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct, no more team movement. Everything is individual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joe pex
Italy
Aosta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good variation!

I will test it soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.