Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Cthulhu Wars» Forums » General

Subject: HiRes Print-Your-Own-Oversized-Map? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christoph
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

As Cthulhu Wars is a really cool game, I spent a lot of time "pimping" the core components to reflect it's epicness (like painting all figures; getting the 3D gates and paint them; get the cardboard faction sheets, etc.)
Now, after setting up the full game on my oversize gaming table, the only thing which is clearly not that epic is the tiny map itself... (it looks kinda lost among all those huge components)

This came up a couple of times in older threads, and even Peterson Games themselves commented on this topic (brief summary: "Yea, bigger map would be super cool, but we are unlikely to ever do that because it would probably not be financially viable..." - yea, that might be true... or did this change with OS3 on the horizon?)

Thus, do-it-yourself seems to be the way to go, and I want to print a properly oversized map myself (like a neoprene mat or a di-bond plate, etc.)

For that, I am now desperately looking for a high-res file of the 5-player version of the Earth map (my most common setup). The older threads discussing this sometimes had files, but all old links seem to be broken. Also, the PbF file which is sometimes mentioned is not hi-res enough for this task.

Does anybody (still) have those files? (Or maybe even Peterson Games wants to provide a map file themselves to allow their fans to upgrade the games? I mean, we do have official do-it-yourself faction sheets etc...)

Thanks!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David E
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Boardgame Aesthete
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There is one in the Vassal module.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Lanrezac
France
Chatou
Yvelines
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll inquire about the possibilities to provide such a map; main issue is that it is directly conflicting with one of our product
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If I were you, I would grab my DSLR camera, set up the map as I need it, light it evenly and shoot. That's an easy way to get something so large at high resolution. Or possibly get the map boards scanned at a local kinko's.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers, I will check the vassal module if that helps!

Pitpipo wrote:
I'll inquire about the possibilities to provide such a map; main issue is that it is directly conflicting with one of our product


@Pitpio: That would be really cool, thanks :-)
If it helps the argument: I am not really sure if this does indeed directly conflict with one of your products, as there are no 5 player Earth maps (of any size) which can be bought directly. The only one there is is part of the base game which each and every Cthulhu Wars player already has anyway. So, it is unlikely that something like this would negatively impact the sale of any product...?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
vortex255 wrote:
Thanks for the answers, I will check the vassal module if that helps!

Pitpipo wrote:
I'll inquire about the possibilities to provide such a map; main issue is that it is directly conflicting with one of our product


@Pitpio: That would be really cool, thanks :-)
If it helps the argument: I am not really sure if this does indeed directly conflict with one of your products, as there are no 5 player Earth maps (of any size) which can be bought directly. The only one there is is part of the base game which each and every Cthulhu Wars player already has anyway. So, it is unlikely that something like this would negatively impact the sale of any product...?

Though you could easily see it leading to creep as people want the other maps.

I'd say that the best bet is photos and photoshop - it's what I used for a good image of the board.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JudgementDave wrote:
vortex255 wrote:
Thanks for the answers, I will check the vassal module if that helps!

Pitpipo wrote:
I'll inquire about the possibilities to provide such a map; main issue is that it is directly conflicting with one of our product


@Pitpio: That would be really cool, thanks :-)
If it helps the argument: I am not really sure if this does indeed directly conflict with one of your products, as there are no 5 player Earth maps (of any size) which can be bought directly. The only one there is is part of the base game which each and every Cthulhu Wars player already has anyway. So, it is unlikely that something like this would negatively impact the sale of any product...?

Though you could easily see it leading to creep as people want the other maps.

I'd say that the best bet is photos and photoshop - it's what I used for a good image of the board.


Fair enough - that is likely true :-)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We discussed how to mark up the six player map for five players - e.g by "joining" the extra spaces up, so it was the five player map again.

Although we did decide this was going to be tough to pull off without at least once of twice catching someone out in the game.

So yeah, would be nice to be able to print off a super-large map on a vinyl banner, for conventions / larger 5-player games. But understand issues with IP sharing may be out there.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher Thee Gravedigger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
They've said they're willing to partner with someone to produce mat maps, if someone was interested in producing those. This came up in the 6th page of the 14th iteration of the Ask Sandy thread.

Based on that, I'd guess they'd be willing to work with someone, as long as it wasn't competition and they received a reasonable royalty for it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Lanrezac
France
Chatou
Yvelines
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheeGravedigger wrote:
They've said they're willing to partner with someone to produce mat maps, if someone was interested in producing those. This came up in the 6th page of the 14th iteration of the Ask Sandy thread.

Based on that, I'd guess they'd be willing to work with someone, as long as it wasn't competition and they received a reasonable royalty for it.


That's exactly it !
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. Then I will just try to wait if there will be some future mat maps :-)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Da Mighty Kip
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been really impressed the quality of these terrain maps. Shipping from Eastern Europe can be a bit pricey, but they've always had top quality prints and materials. Apparently they do custom print jobs as well.

A good partner in waiting?

http://www.deepcutstudio.com
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.