Subject: The Potential Costs of 'America First' rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://money.cnn.com/2017/07/05/news/economy/mexico-china-tr...

The possible cost of 'America First'. Article mentions not only China/Mexico possibilities, but the fact that Mexico may be looking for its corn and soy, from South America, not the U.S., as is currently the case. In other words, Mexico is exploring alternative trading partners. And ultimately, I do not see how that will benefit the U.S.A., other than pulling current money inflows away from us.

It also says that Mexico and the U.S. are beginning to re-negotiate NAFTA, but with those negotiations underway, and not being linked to the U.S. any longer, there is nothing to prevent Mexico from walking away. Time will tell how this plays out, and whether it will benefit the U.S. in some palpable way. I just find it odd that we felt the need to even do this, because deep down, I am not sure Trump knows what he's chasing here in terms of a better deal, and I wonder if the risks here, are greater than the potential reward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmb
Protectionism is going to hurt us as consumers. The people that voted for him on the poor end of the spectrum aren't going to be the winners.

https://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21707926-globalisatio...

https://www.economist.com/news/special-report/21707834-truth...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edgar the Woebringer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
I don't get the impression that Trumps looks at any issue on a deep level.
I also don't get the impression that he listens to anyone who might be able to/is willing to do this.

That "cabinet meeting" aka The Great Ass Kissing told me what kind of boss he is, as if I didn't know already. I've had these types as CEOs/CIOs in my own career: tell them generalities and make them "happy" generalities; give them lots of credit for things. Be a yes man if you want to get ahead. If you are a knowledgeable person who is willing to be frank and bring a concern over direction to management--good luck to you in such an environment, you are going to have a red stapler and be working in the basement if you are working at all (there).

Combine this with the gutting of the State dept. and I'm not very optimistic about any kind of effective foreign policy in the years ahead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sue_G wrote:
Protectionism is going to hurt us as consumers. The people that voted for him on the poor end of the spectrum aren't going to be the winners.

WRONG!

They're already winners. Scoreboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Mostly made up of spare parts and sarcasm! ... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmb
"The people that voted for him on the poor end of the spectrum aren't going to be the winners. "

awww but those liberal tears !!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:
http://money.cnn.com/2017/07/05/news/economy/mexico-china-tr...

The possible cost of 'America First'. Article mentions not only China/Mexico possibilities, but the fact that Mexico may be looking for its corn and soy, from South America, not the U.S., as is currently the case. In other words, Mexico is exploring alternative trading partners. And ultimately, I do not see how that will benefit the U.S.A., other than pulling current money inflows away from us.

It also says that Mexico and the U.S. are beginning to re-negotiate NAFTA, but with those negotiations underway, and not being linked to the U.S. any longer, there is nothing to prevent Mexico from walking away. Time will tell how this plays out, and whether it will benefit the U.S. in some palpable way. I just find it odd that we felt the need to even do this, because deep down, I am not sure Trump knows what he's chasing here in terms of a better deal, and I wonder if the risks here, are greater than the potential reward.

As an ex-Reagan Republican, it astonishes me just how quickly the GOP has abandoned free trade as an economic goal. We struggled for years to open a variety of foreign markets to American goods, particularly the closed markets of Japan. The Trump people seem to see only one side of the balance sheet when discussing job losses and ignore all of the jobs that trade supports. Anyone want the Carter years back?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sue_G wrote:

https://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21707926-globalisatio...

https://www.economist.com/news/special-report/21707834-truth...

It would also hurt us as producers. Say big tariff on steel - a big component for autos. No similar tariff on autos; suddenly, all those cars being made in the US are a bit less competitive vs those made outside the US.

Trade is complex, and Trump clearly doesn't understand it at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

edgarthewoebringer wrote:
I don't get the impression that Trumps looks at any issue on a deep level.

I also don't get the impression that he listens to anyone who might be able to/is willing to do this.

That "cabinet meeting" aka The Great Ass Kissing told me what kind of boss he is, as if I didn't know already. I've had these types as CEOs/CIOs in my own career: tell them generalities and make them "happy" generalities; give them lots of credit for things. Be a yes man if you want to get ahead. If you are a knowledgeable person who is willing to be frank and bring a concern over direction to management--good luck to you in such an environment, you are going to have a red stapler and be working in the basement if you are working at all (there).

Combine this with the gutting of the State dept. and I'm not very optimistic about any kind of effective foreign policy in the years ahead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.