Subject: Storage query - on a budget rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: organized [+] [View All]
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No boxes?

I’ve been playing LotR LCG since it came out, and I keep all the boxes from the deluxe expansions to store the cards in.
With Arkham though, I’m struggling.
The Deluxe expansions seem to be these new flimsy, sideways opening things, rather than something with a useable lid. The plastic shells that replaced the nice cardboard boxes monthly expansions used to come in are fairly useless too.

Up until now, I’d just about had everything squished into 2 Core boxes, but with the final few packs of Dunwich appearing, I think I’ve gone beyond the limit.

I’m looking for a way to store all my cards. Ideally, I want to be able to put a whole cycle in a single box (with space to include the cards from the Core set that are used in that cycle, even though these will sometimes be elsewhere).

I sleeve all of my encounter cards in clear penny sleeves (2 5/8" x 3 5/8"), and store them sleeved, so need whatever I go for to be big enough to hold these.
Player cards I store unsleeved, and generally have 2 decks built at a time, which are typically in heavier/art sleeves – I’m fine to put assembled decks in deck-boxes though, so not too worried if that doesn’t fit.
I’ve seen various high-spec options (engraved wooden boxes etc), but I’m not wanting to spend £50 on storage for a game that’s already eating up a fair amount of money by itself. I’m interested in these BCW boxes I’ve seen around, but can’t quite figure out whether these will hold sleeved cards, or what size I’d need to hold a full cycle.
(I’m also in the UK, so looking to stay clear of solutions that will cost a fortune once shipped from North America.)

Can anyone suggest anything??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not on a budget, but I still think BCW boxes are the way to go, the only other appealing option to me was 9 pocket sheets, but keeping those up can be a pain in the butt.

Don't you have hobby / sports cards shops anywhere in England that you could go? That is by far the easiest place to get inexpensive BCW boxes here in the States. Those type of boxes easily hold penny sleeved cards, but in terms of an exact size fit for just 1 cycle of expansions? Probably a 400-600 count box tops depending on what all you want to put in there. 600 would be more than enough to hold everything from the Core + that set of expansions with room for large spacers and whatever else you want.

The reason I ask what you want to put in it is because it makes the most sense, to me, to segregate the player cards that can be used with other products from the Dunwich specific materials. I just have a bigger BCW with 3 columns that I'm slowly filling with the player cards, personally. A solution like that would mean a 400 count box would likely hold the remaining story cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I must admit that I repurposed the core box for storing Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game and it's 4 POD expansions together.

For AH:LCG I used a spare Arkham Horror: Miskatonic Horror Expansion box lid (i.e. big) and made a foam core base so that it was tall enough for the cards to stand vertically. So far I have 2 cores and 1 of everything else (except Rougarou), several PnP scenarios, all sleeved and sitting in that 1 box along with the chaos tokens in coin capsules. There's room for a few more scenarios as well.

If you've not got a big box lid for the AH/EH board games, you could probably do similar using the AH:LCG core set lids and make foam core bases. You'd probably free up a fair bit of space storing the cards vertically, and there are dividers available in the BGG files section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian K
England
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a binder (PRO I think) for under a tenner. Enough 9 pocket pages (2 sleeved cards in each one) that I hope to get all of the player cards to the end of the Carcosa cycle in. Easy to find what you want and organise to suit.

Encounter cards I keep in those little plastic deck boxes (also PRO I think). Each one holds two expansions sleeved and amazon was practically giving them away at one point as an add-on item. I actually find these a bit too fiddly (ie small), even with dividers, and may be doing some work with craft knife, glue, card and a shoebox shortly.

Either way, no need to spend a fortune.

Ian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm using a BCW-style "shoebox," which holds all cards to date on one side (unsleeved), leaving at least a full cycle's worth of expansion room on the other. It was delivered unassembled with one other small item, so they shipped it in a box that was about six times the volume of the actual object, once folded and put together, and that was mildly hilarious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bennett
msg tools
CortexBomb wrote:
I'm not on a budget, but I still think BCW boxes are the way to go, the only other appealing option to me was 9 pocket sheets, but keeping those up can be a pain in the butt.

I agree, I'm really happy with the BCW boxes, I've tried the 400 and 500 count boxes.

The 400 count boxes will likely tightly fit all the Dunwich cycle scenarios and other necessary encounter cards (sleeved), but it is not tall enough to use dividers.

I decided to use the 500 count boxes because they provide more room, and they are also taller, so you could make dividers if you want.

They're pretty easy to make prettier, too, I just printed some art on sticker paper, and sealed it. Cheap, and I still think it looks pretty good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm actually a little confused as to how you don't have more room in two core boxes? I actually have the opposite of you, all player cards sleeved and all encounter cards unsleeved (just because we haven't ordered encounter sleeves yet). But the number of sleeves is roughly the same. Anyway, everything fits comfortable between two boxes (all player cards are bagged by colour with 0xp and 1-5xp cards in separate bags, each scenario is in a separate bag (along with the entirety of its specific encounter set) and then all 'general' encounter cards are in a final bag. I'd say I have enough room for Path to Carcosa and the first couple Mythos packs easily...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Doonican
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uk £4 all you need....

https://www.magicmadhouse.co.uk/bcw-super-shoe-storage-box-3...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Harris
United Kingdom
Sale
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Want to go a bit more upmarket and don't mind a bit of minor DIY to modify the dividers, then a wooden wine box is up to the task @ £15

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WINE-WOODEN-BOX-SPACES-DECOUPAGE/dp...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If only the expansion boxes were actually usable... You could put all the scenarios for one cycle in it, then use a binder or something for player cards, and never have to worry about anything storage related again...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Timefortravel wrote:
If only the expansion boxes were actually usable... You could put all the scenarios for one cycle in it, then use a binder or something for player cards, and never have to worry about anything storage related again...

This has been my main complaint about FFG for a while now. If they gave an ounce of thought to making their products storage friendly, it would go a long way to customer loyalty.

E.G. with LotR:LCG, If they had just inverted the deck names on their old tuck boxes you could have repurposed them as vertical dividers rather than throwing them all in the trash. At least with their old core boxes you could store a few expansions before running out of room. The new boxes are too small from day one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Robinson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went with this:

https://www.amazon.com/Broken-Token-Organizer-Living-Compact...

and this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004T2CBD4/ref=oh_aui_sear...

$45 and I'm set for a very long time - and I've got a wonderful way to organize everything (and a token holder for the table!).

All character cards go in the binder, everything else in the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my current setup, which cost less than $10, including the shoebox and the tacklebox for tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nancy Durgin
United States
Tijeras
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I currently have my copy stored in one of these:

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/223664

It fits 2 cores and all current expansions, including all the rulebooks, but there isn't really room for another complete cycle.

Also if you do this search on Amazon there are some interesting ideas.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n_5?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A2...

This seems thematic (but $$$): https://www.amazon.com/Grimoire-Artificer-Wooden-Spellbook-C...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Gilliam
msg tools
Carthoris wrote:
Here's my current setup, which cost less than $10, including the shoebox and the tacklebox for tokens.

I took Carthoris's idea of using a BCW shoebox and added some foamcore to the inside of the box.

Currently my plan is to use this to store the campaign and standalone adventures. With this design I'm able to put in about 4 rows of cards and a fifth, smaller row for most of the mythos pack rule books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jona Heinrich
Germany
Jena
flag msg tools
mb
I can´t think of a more unthematical solution but I thought of buying one of those:
https://www.amazon.de/Stanley-Innenteiler-Konfigurationen-Ve...

I´m looking for something cheap where I can store maybe 2 or 3 cycles and could transport it easily...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I buy Dragon Shield deck protectors which come in a box that can hold a good 80 sleeved cards each. If you happen to sleeve your cards anyway then you can get some cheap storage that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Pyne
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'll have to take pictures to post but what I did was supper cheap.

Took second core box and cut out base so it was just the run and attached it above the first use to the box was Double Tall.

Then I made two cardboard runners to split the box into three rows.

In this configuration all cards fit vertical, there is room for them to be sleeved or not, to have dividers or not, and with extensive extra space for future expansions.

As for the actual card groups I didn't make fancy dividers though they exist, I just put each encounter set, each cart type, and each character card color into separate bags. Then just keep the bags groups, so there is one row with character cards, one with scenarios, and one with encounters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
I'd go with the four quid storage box someone linked if you want cheap. But if you want splash out a bit I got one of these for around £30 so won't break the bank: http://oplaser.co.uk/shop/arkham-horror-lgc-with-tray.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Brown
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ValDoonican wrote:

Are these large enough to hold sleeved cards? Are they tall enough to have dividers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ddbrown30 wrote:
ValDoonican wrote:

Are these large enough to hold sleeved cards? Are they tall enough to have dividers?

I use the double wide, but yes. Holds everything so far, will probably need a second by the end of Carcosa.

And I keep the instructions for the expansions and their mythos packs in the corresponding deluxe box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally found a solution on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017237OJW/ref=oh_aui_deta...

This is $15, and will hold 3 base sets, 2 Dunwich, the 6 additional decks for dunwich, and the two stand alones.

Plus all the player cards up to Carcosa.

and its just the right size the rules fit on the top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mohnkern wrote:
I finally found a solution on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017237OJW/ref=oh_aui_deta...

This is $15, and will hold 3 base sets, 2 Dunwich, the 6 additional decks for dunwich, and the two stand alones.

Plus all the player cards up to Carcosa.

and its just the right size the rules fit on the top.

Be careful if you sleeve. I don't think this case will fit sleeved cards well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
BCW boxes are generally the way to go for convenient and relatively cheap card storage, but the boxes which cost tens of cents in the US start at $7 around me. So I'm starting to build up boxes with custom inserts, similar to what you can see some people do around these forums.

One huge sheet of 3mm greyboard is really cheap. If you cut out 5+ pieces of that you can have a taller core box with a divider down the middle, making a poor (or impatient) gamer's alternative to the Broken Token/Go7 inserts. You can pad the raisers with 1mm greyboard until it aligns with the bottom part of the original box.

Some glue and assembly required. You might also need a large rubber band per box to keep the lid in place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point on the sleeving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.