Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
Curious what folks thinks about CNN's decision to

1) look for the creator of the Trump-CNN meme
2) Approach him and effectively threaten to DOX him if he releases anything else CNN deems offensive

Here is a link for those who have not heard about it

http://www.newsweek.com/cnn-trump-reddit-twitter-631868

While I would hope no one would deny that CNN has the right to do this - but the real question is *should* they. Do folks think this falls under protecting their brand, or does it take a step into suppressing views they find disagreeable?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It falls on the asshole side of the fence for me.

Quote:
CNN is not publishing "HanA**holeSolo's" name because he is a private citizen who has issued an extensive statement of apology, showed his remorse by saying he has taken down all his offending posts, and because he said he is not going to repeat this ugly behavior on social media again. In addition, he said his statement could serve as an example to others not to do the same

CNN reserves the right to publish his identity should any of that change.

Not publishing his name because of the first paragraph is fine, I think. The second is unnecessary and is a threat.

There was nothing wrong with the wresting video and CNN should have laughed it off. Finding the guy and threatening to publish his identity is an asshole move by CNN.

On the flip side, the guy should own up to anything he made. Get some balls, mister.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't threaten, threatening is what bullies do. Publish. That's what investigative journalism does. Guy made a thing, Trump made it a story, follow the story to the source.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CNN performed some investigative journalism to find out who created the post. Apparently it wasn't too difficult to do. I suspect if they hadn't, someone else would have anyway. And while most of the Trumpites appear to be calling it a funny meme, it could just as easily be seen as something which does incite violence against liberal journalists, examples of which we have already begun to see ( from a GOP politician no less ! ). And with the number of right wing wingnut militias with their weaponry seemingly proliferating its probably more likely that someone unstable somewhere is more likely to interpret is as more than just a funny meme.
And the best way to expose racism, sexism, general goofiness, etc... is to expose it to the light of day so that the perpetrators can officially declare that it really doesn't represent their views even though they willingly created it and posted it.shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edgar the Woebringer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Why in the hell does it even matter who made it. As we all know (and CNN as well), there's a shit-ton of photoshop and video meme stuff done all the time.

The only story here is Trump--the President of the United States--re-tweeting it. And that's no real story, it's par for the moronic course.

CNN should just have said "We never tapped out, and if you had seen the rest of the video we were able to pin Trump and his tiny ineffectual hands."

Or, stand above the fray and say "We here at CNN are not surprised at this level of discourse from the President. Frankly it says much about his character."

Now they look like aholes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol so it's cool for people to do to rightwing dingbat (I presume) men.

Nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Foolish, very foolish, of CNN. They've not so much ceded the high ground as taken a flying scissor-kick off of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
Don't threaten, threatening is what bullies do. Publish. That's what investigative journalism does. Guy made a thing, Trump made it a story, follow the story to the source.

I am curious - why investigate this? Do they investigate all memes or just the ones that attack their brand?

I could see if they could trace this back to the US Government/White House and make a play of Government resources being used to "attack" the press (a stretch IMO) - but once they found that this is an individual citizen (reportedly a 15 year old male) - why even publish?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
My impression is the guy made other memes which were the real problem, including one which listed CNN employees identified as Jewish for anti-Semitic targeting. So, here are the options I see:

1) Publish the results of their investigation. This probably destroys the guy's life--gets him fired, ends many of his relationships, and forces him into minor celebrity status among bigots. I'm not sure how that's less chilling of free speech.
2) Stay silent. This kind of sucks, because part of what's great about the fact that they found him is precisely that they found him--the protection of anonymity which encourages people to be awful for the lulz is penetrable. Sending that message to would-be trolls seems quite positive.
3) Do what they did.

My guess, reading between the lines, is that the perpetrator begged them to take option 3 rather than option 1 when they contacted him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
They should have published or killed the story completely. This makes them look like thugs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
rylfrazier wrote:
They should have published or killed the story completely. This makes them look like thugs.

How does publishing the story make them look less like thugs? I feel like we'd see the same anxieties about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I'm not seeing this as a threat, but a simple statement of fact. Say CNN publishes the story without the "offending" sentence. Then this person decides that the publicity and exposure aren't a bad thing and decides to start cashing in on the conservative talk show circuit. If CNN starts publishing the identity then, you don't expect that they'd be attacked for going back on their word?

Based on what's there, I see the sentence more as CYA than a threat. If it were a threat, you'd expect to hear that they used it to get the interview and not after publishing the story. Moreover, it seems possible to go through archives and find the same information that CNN found to identify the person, so it seems to be a relatively weak threat (and you'd expect a more tabloid-ish publication or site to do exactly that).

Should they have included it? Maybe not. I just don't see it as threatening as much as posturing for what might come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They should have just published a story, something along the lines of "Recent meme popularized by Trump tweet created by person who also creates anti-semite memes." That would make it about Trump's irresponsibility in tweeting, a valid issue, and not about them bullying people into not picking on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Utrecht wrote:
Shadrach wrote:

I am curious - why investigate this? Do they investigate all memes or just the ones that attack their brand?

I could see if they could trace this back to the US Government/White House and make a play of Government resources being used to "attack" the press (a stretch IMO) - but once they found that this is an individual citizen (reportedly a 15 year old male) - why even publish?

Again, because of the president. Trump has deliberately fostered an environment where attacking the media is okay and even promoted, investigating who is buying in, what forms the spread of the abuse takes, and exploring the disconect between willful intent and lulz and not comprehending the impact even if it is the later. There's plenty of good material for some journalism there. Not likely to happen in pursuit of clicks though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because who creates memes is news. The online fucktard "in it for the lulz lol we broke the gov" crew is a very very interesting force in the american political space.

This guy's specific story is super interesting. He made this meme and a bunch of other racist memes apparently and then as soon as he was confronted was not like "yeah yay America, I stand behind every word, I hate Muslims yay Trump" he was immediately like "oh oops that was just a joke lol jk please don't tell anyone who I am".

This is absolutely newsworthy - these people are real, exist, vote and sway public opinion.

When people are polled they are not very racist at all, however a recent "big data" survey of search history shows that people engage in extremely racist searches much much more than you would expect from their own poll reporting, even when the poll reporting is anonymous.

The extent to which trolls and networks of trolls influences and reflects American political culture is extremely interesting to me. As someone stuck in a nation which has a very large population which votes in ways that I think are flat out idiotic constantly, why people do what they do is extremely interesting, and this is part of it.

We have a president who was literally elected in part because of his successful Twitter account. The story "Creator of GIF retweeted by President Trump, Bob Smith, Disavows Long History of Racist Memes as a 'Joke'" is IMO 100% newsworthy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Utrecht wrote:

CNN acquired K-File specifically because that group investigated a wide range of things that suddenly appeared on the Internet. It's got little to nothing to do with the brand and everything to do with knowing who the source of viral videos, memes, quotes, etc. actually come from. Since the acquisition, they've rebranded as being the news source for millenials (basically).

It's definitely valid to ask why K-File's coverage is so heavily focused on the GOP (just look at their landing page). It's possible that this just represents their demographic, but it sure doesn't look particularly even-handed.

Quote:

1) Because whether or not they're going to use the name and "out" him/her, they want to be able to say they got there first? It's stupid, but that's the media (and has been for a long time - "the scoop" has been around forever).

2) There may be something interesting in the other posts that were deleted that emerges later that makes the initial publication more worthy.

I can think of a bunch of media outlets that would have just published and said "screw it," then reveled in the publicity for outing a kid. They aren't what you'd call major outlets, but they definitely exist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
Every time I try to give CNN the benefit of the doubt, they step on another rake...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone care to photoshop the CNN logo on this for me? I don't wanna get in trouble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heck, if they had just presented this actual story in a less creepy way they would have been IMO OK.

Publish it as an interview, say "CNN contacted the man behind the account, who agreed to an interview on condition of anonymity" then publish an interview.

The specific tone of the "we'll dox you if we publish something we don't like" honestly just sounds like straight thuggery designed to silence enemies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Trump loyalists make mountain out of molehill, film at 11.

Up next;

Water!!?? Still wet?

Our indepth probe, after these commercial messages.

Plus, I seem to recall a tweet from our tiny handed leader threatening Morning Joe with a bad story from the Enquirer unless he softened his tone-or refused to kill the story even afer Joe asked him because the small handed one apparently wanted to punish him and Mika...similar difference. Dont see any outrage from the Small Glove Society over that on the interwebz....

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry but if you publish something that makes you famous, then you are fair game.

I agree CNN behaved badly by threatening. The creator is now fair game- it's not doxing- it's called being famous or infamous. But publish or don't bring it up at all.

Laina Morris, "overly attached girlfriend" is famous- not doxed.

Funny thing is there are several million people would do almost anything to get the kind of fame this guy has.

That said-- say the reporter did the investigative journalism and then the creator literally begged them not to publish as he realized he didn't want to be famous. It is possible that happened. In that case, they were not threatening "apologize or we'll publish your name" but being nice guys

"Okay, mr X, we have investigated and found it was you who made it. We'd like to interview you for the story.

-Oooooh please don't publish this. I made a terrible mistake. I'm sorry!

Well... okay. Man.. hate to waste all the work for nothing but the guy doesn't want to be thrust into the limelight.

"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
I was out of internet and radio range most of the weekend through the fourth, but I did have to make an emergency run to the store for a hairbrush, yes a hairbrush on Monday.

The top of the hour news I heard in the car reported CNN had identified the 16 year old who made the video.

I can find no confirmation of that on the internet at the moment, but if the kid is only 16, that would explain a lot.

I'm not sure what that would explain, but no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
I was out of internet and radio range most of the weekend through the fourth, but I did have to make an emergency run to the store for a hairbrush, yes a hairbrush on Monday.

The top of the hour news I heard in the car reported CNN had identified the 16 year old who made the video.

I can find no confirmation of that on the internet at the moment, but if the kid is only 16, that would explain a lot.

I'm not sure what that would explain, but no.

16 year old say and write a lot of stupid things - including many racist/homophobic/***ic things. While that can mean they are racists/homophobic/***ic - it is not certain - they could just be immature (and hopefully learn from it).

But it sounds like this is all moot here - the individual is an adult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not surprising that CNN would contact the creator of the meme for comment on the story they're writing about his meme that went viral when the president retweeted it.

That he's not proud of his anonymous work and wants to keep his ID a secret is also not a surprise.

CNN could have published the story with "no comment from X" if they truly wanted to dick him over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
Adding to the the above, if CNN's version is true, than yeah - their behavior is justified, and even kind.

The story's believable too - the guy was staring the destruction of his life in the face, and wanted out (honestly can't blame him TOO much for that).

This whole thread is about the power of framing. By putting "Threaten" and "DOX" in the title, Utrecht set a not-necessarily-accurate tone for the discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.