Subject: Newb Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would this be a proper thread to post a very first using-my-friend's-cards deck idea I have? I don't know meta or competitive or anything I'd just like someone to be able to go 'that's not stupid' so I don't waste my friend's time with a horrible deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
South Lake Tahoe
flag msg tools
badge
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MAN!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The strategy sub forum may be more appropriate, but fire away
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! The basic line was 'Imperial grunts just being Imperial'

2 First order Troopers
2 Tie Pilots

I also toyed with 3 troopers and Phasma, i5 has more health but loses the protection for all my pewpew.

Battlefield:Frozen Wastes. I figure removing dice hurts mooks less than Named characters.

Upgrades:
F11D-Rifle
Promotion
Training
Wingman

Support:
Outpost
Drudge Work
Local Garrison
Supply lines

Events:
Nowhere to Run
All in
Flank
Logistics
Battle formation
Squad Tactics
Supression

All 2 copies.

General idea is a bit of resource generation, but the deck seems cheap overall, then as many ways to leverage he 'swarm' as much as I could while keeping it simple for my first outting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig B
Australia
Mount Hawthorn
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why no endless ranks?

4x Non-unique red. You need to abuse it!

You also should have another re-deploy weapon, e.g. holdout blaster.

I'd say you could fit these in by reducing the supports.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jooles D
Canada
flag msg tools
Valar Morghulis
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yogibbear wrote:
Why no endless ranks?

I've found that I struggle to get Endless Ranks out in these kind of red decks due to it's high cost. How does the economy of these kind of decks match up to actually being able to play Endless Ranks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jooles wrote:
yogibbear wrote:
Why no endless ranks?

I've found that I struggle to get Endless Ranks out in these kind of red decks due to it's high cost. How does the economy of these kind of decks match up to actually being able to play Endless Ranks?

This was my fear too. Being totally inexperienced I don't know the resource curve of the game well enough. I can't know if I will have the 5R just sitting around to burn. I figure if I see myself with credits wasting away in the pool I could swap them in definately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With drudge work and logistics you should be fine with resources to get endless ranks off a couple times.

Against a fast aggro deck that can hit multiple characters like ePoe eMaz this doesn't stand a chance, but in a meta where Poe Maz is frowned upon this is a fun deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai B
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think about trading one trooper or Pilot for Bala to get acces to yellow. Endless Ranks is in my opinion a must have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Sinfield
msg tools
This list can be quite decent. Obviously, there may be some limitations based on your card pool, but some ideas:

Replacing one of the TIE pilots with Bala-Tik/Guavian Enforcer gives you access to Yellow, and you don't really lose out on much. Personally I don't particularly like the two TIE pilots because all their ranged damage is modified, so they can't support each other. One is enough for the ability.

For the battlefield, work out how fast your deck is. Generally, this kind of deck is going to be very slow, because you've got four characters to activate. Taking a battlefield that removes your dice is probably not a good idea; I'd go for something more benign (Mos Eisley is the default choice for most decks if you are unlikely to claim, I've also seen the deck run Docking Bay).

You want to run more upgrades - your troops don't do that much damage by themselves, so you'll want some more options. DH-17 Blaster, Holdout Blaster, and Imperial Discipline would be good starts.

For your supports, Outpost doesn't do much for you. Drudge Work is somewhat sub-optimal with SoR - I'd look at Aftermath as an option, as it can make you a lot of money if you get it early. Local Garrison can be nasty, but it's expensive and you really need to hit it in the first turn or two or it becomes a dead card.

Events, this deck 100% wants to run Endless Ranks. It's what really makes the deck viable - you won't always be able to play it, but with smart play you'll get it often enough and a lot of decks can't really deal having to go through another 7-14 health. I'd also look at Tactical Mastery, Imperial War Machine and The Best Defense.

Adding in Yellow gives you some more options - mainly control events to remove dice, but could give you some more Upgrade options and Salvage Stand is also quite good in the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian LeCleir
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
May the Force be with us.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great looking deck! I echo the comments above - without Endless Ranks in a deck like this you will probably be hosed. Linked is a deck of mine that splashes yellow with Bala-tik as recommended above (that leans more heavily into supports, you can just as easily lean more into upgrades... I would recommend probably putting more weapon upgrades based on your current list). Also, I really like the inclusion of Nowhere to Run (especially since you have so many red sides), but don't know that All In is a good choice. Figure that since you truly don't care about speed, any card that has the primary effect of speeding you up is probably not as essential.

http://swdestinydb.com/decklist/view/11415/theyjustkeepcomin...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the input! I don't see how I can squeeze yellow in while maintaining the 'Imperial military' theme, that in mind I have tweaked some, following some suggestions to this:

3 First Order Troopers
1 Tie Pilot

1 Ewok village

2 F11D Rifles
2 Infantry grenades
2 holdout blasters
2 Promotion
2 Training
2 Wingman

2 Drudge work
2 Supply lines

2 Battle Formation
2 Endless Ranks
2 Squad Tactics
2 All in
2 Flank
2 Nowhere to run
2 Logistics

Any better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Piorkowski
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
Friend of mine played a 2x death trooper and tie fighter pilot. slapping wingman and training on the Death troopers was pretty wicked. Lets you keep the imperial military vibe but with heroes/villains that pack a better punch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.