Subject: Offensive, or Simply Memorializing? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/05/clay-higgins-auschw...

I would tend to be silent while inside, but I am not sure I would necessarily fault this guy, who did not seem to have any 'negative' intent in doing what he did. Are we being too 'politically correct', when asked to be silent in the chamber of death? Given that the request is posted, I suppose you can fault the gent for doing what he did, but I wonder if the request does not go too far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that if you're going to be producing something to distribute to your constituents, you should treat it like a professional film crew would and either ask for permission to film or respectfully inform the management that you'll be doing so. Then you can have the discussion up-front, and probably figure out that you could honor their request while still narrating by finding your intern with Adobe Premiere or something similar to dub in the narration.

Unless the video was something insane/insulting, I think it doesn't deserve a lot of media attention. I think he committed a bit of a faux pas, but nothing that deserves a lot of public attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/05/clay-higgins-auschw...

I would tend to be silent while inside, but I am not sure I would necessarily fault this guy, who did not seem to have any 'negative' intent in doing what he did. Are we being too 'politically correct', when asked to be silent in the chamber of death? Given that the request is posted, I suppose you can fault the gent for doing what he did, but I wonder if the request does not go too far.

As a guest at a museum it is proper to follow the museum's wishes with regard to protocol. No flash photography where they wish to have no flash photography, no filming where they wish to have no filming and silence where they wish there to be silence. To do otherwise is impolite.

What make me cringe, though, is his comments on how he is using his visit as evidence that military and national security needs to be strengthened. In my opinion that is the wrong lesson to take away from his visit. It was a strong German military and national security force that allowed the Holocaust to happen. Military might is not sufficient to prevent future atrocities, particularly when such might can be abused by those in power. Safeguards are needed to prevent those in authority from being able to enact policies that would create conditions where such a horror can be seen as justifiable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edgar the Woebringer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Right, simply filming is one thing, that's just breaking the rules and no big deal.

Using the place for typical blatant fear-mongering, not so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a chance to watch the video. The actual content is pretty cringe-worthy and the logic of enacting stronger laws, providing for stronger intelligence, and beefing up the military to protect the US from another Nazi Germany is pretty horrid. "We'll protect ourselves from this by doing some of the things that led to it in the first place." You just have to shake your head.

However, the video actually underlines the degree of silliness involved in shooting the video while narrating live: they dub in music for background. Now if you can do that, why wouldn't you honor the museum's request and dub in the narration, too?

I would not be surprised if the Congressman didn't actually know he could do that when he shot the video. But if you're making the trip and are thinking about creating a campaign message while traveling, how is it possible you aren't discussing this with your staff up-front?

Just a misfire on numerous levels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think in a world in which many people feel like they're making their own documentary film of their own lives at all times, there's nothing wrong with doing something like this in principal, it could potentially be very moving and useful/helpful.

The specific video was terrible but you can't say "only make good art here" you have to either say yes to all amateur documentaries or no. They have now said no, but their attitude about breaking an unwritten rule is probably not appropriate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
perfalbion wrote:
I had a chance to watch the video. The actual content is pretty cringe-worthy and the logic of enacting stronger laws, providing for stronger intelligence, and beefing up the military to protect the US from another Nazi Germany is pretty horrid. "We'll protect ourselves from this by doing some of the things that led to it in the first place." You just have to shake your head.

However, the video actually underlines the degree of silliness involved in shooting the video while narrating live: they dub in music for background. Now if you can do that, why wouldn't you honor the museum's request and dub in the narration, too?

I would not be surprised if the Congressman didn't actually know he could do that when he shot the video. But if you're making the trip and are thinking about creating a campaign message while traveling, how is it possible you aren't discussing this with your staff up-front?

Just a misfire on numerous levels.

Calling it a misfire is being kind

What kind of cretin makes a campaign video there without permission
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

At the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Washington D.C. Jump to 4:40 to see the relevant part.

The dead are dead. How we treat the dead is all about our humanity. That is why moments of silence, reverence and decorum are important.

All such places, including the Auschwitz killing grounds, are places that have been made sacred. They are burial grounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.