Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What sequence do we use when multiple people want to declare Paws so as to get Furriarty before the current player can Guess? What if the current player also wants to declare Paws to complete their guess?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sauer
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hi Jeff, great question! The quick answer is you can house rule it however you want.

However, I would suggest the following...

Once the active player has declared they are going to make a guess (using Guess Action), that is the only moment in the game another player cannot override the moment with a "Paws". If another player were to call "Paws" in that moment, they would have to wait for the active player to finish their guess, then the "Paws" player would have a chance at guessing.

If the active player had already used their Guess Action, then any player including them may call "Paws" at any time.

As this is the only real-time aspect to the game, it is up to all the players to agree on turn order (making a guess) if multiple players call "Paws" and flip their player mat over at the same time.

Hope that helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, we house-ruled at the time that all Paws-users would be resolved in turn order of all those wanting to declare Paws at the same time, starting with the Active Player. I'll amend that in the future that Paws can not interrupt Guess.

I'll also add that all Paws users must take the -1 hit regardless if they get a chance to Guess (as the game is over with Furriarty captured). No sense using this as a cheap way to cost the Active Player a point to get Furriarty.

nikky_hack wrote:
Hi Jeff, great question! The quick answer is you can house rule it however you want.

However, I would suggest the following...

Once the active player has declared they are going to make a guess (using Guess Action), that is the only moment in the game another player cannot override the moment with a "Paws". If another player were to call "Paws" in that moment, they would have to wait for the active player to finish their guess, then the "Paws" player would have a chance at guessing.

If the active player had already used their Guess Action, then any player including them may call "Paws" at any time.

As this is the only real-time aspect to the game, it is up to all the players to agree on turn order (making a guess) if multiple players call "Paws" and flip their player mat over at the same time.

Hope that helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sauer
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yes definitely! Once you've declared Paws, you've flipped your playerboard, so you are committed to that -1pt, even if the game ends before you get a chance to make a guess.

It's tough to fit all possible situations into the rule book, I really appreciate you writing about this here, hopefully others will find this as a resource if they come across the same situation.

All the best!

Cinnibar wrote:

I'll also add that all Paws users must take the -1 hit regardless if they get a chance to Guess (as the game is over with Furriarty captured). No sense using this as a cheap way to cost the Active Player a point to get Furriarty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.