5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for StarCraft alike game with tactical combat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Bond
msg tools
Hi!

tl;dr: Looking for a game that is similar to StarCraft board game, aka space strategy game with a tactical combat (not just roll a dice and hope for the best, though does not have to be over complex system).

Long version: I am not a huge boardgame-geek, however, I always liked playing boardgames alone or with my friends. My only complex and big boardgame was StarCraft boardgame, which I enjoy a tonnes. I do not have it right now so I am looking for some other similar game. I did do quite a lot of research. 3 main games that I liked were: Twilight Imperium, Eclipse and Exodus: Proxima Centauri. TI sounded like a great game, but way too long game for me. EPC caught my eye, but I did not like the way the actions were made (yeah I know, I am picky). I did like Eclipse, and even considered buying it. The only problem with it, is that I did not like the combat system. Yes, I do have some prior strategy, but if I get unlucky/lucky with dices it can get kind of boring. StarCraft had a system that I had to choose a specific battle card for each unit, thus giving a bit more tactical sense to the combat.

If anybody has any suggestions of such games, please post them. Thank you very much !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
You may want to try Halo: Fleet Battles – The Fall of Reach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Myers
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
forbidden stars

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/175155/forbidden-stars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Hornblower
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Forbidden Stars.

For a pure space strategy, you can't go wrong with Space Empires 4x. It'a classic. Masterpiece.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
...And welcome to the 'geek!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.