13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Family Cruise Vacation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dorian Herman
Canada
flag msg tools
I am going on an Alaskan Cruise with my family, four adults one thirteen year old one grandma and two babies. Most of us (not grandma) really enjoy games. We have played cooperative, puzzle, resource collection, deck building and trading games. I am looking for some suggestions of a few games to bring. They preferable play up to 5 or 6 players are small in size and not to complicated to teach. Some games we have thought to bring are; Codenames Pictures, Boss Monster, Jarpour, Zombie Dice, and my brother in law and I play dice masters. Any other great games we should look into. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
You may want to try Sequence. It can play up to 6 people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brock Burwell
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
One thing I didn't realize about cruises is they often have a library area with tables you can sit at (or pull multiple tables together) and play games. You could almost bring any game regardless of size

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dorian Herman
Canada
flag msg tools
The size issue is more about the travel to the cruise ship and storage on the ship not playing area. But thank you for the tip about the library.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
You can often repackage games into ziplocks (if you are careful during transport) to save a ton of space. I've had great luck doing this with things like Ra and Carcassone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
If you have them, I'd recommend you bring Catan, Ticket to Ride and or Carcassonne. There is no better way to meet people on a cruise than to show up in the library with one of these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did quick perusal of my collection. Here were the things that jumped out out at me. Pandemic the Cure repackaged would be a top pick for me.

6 nimmt!
Anomia or 1-2 decks from Anomia: Party Edition
BANG! The Dice Game
Bohnanza
Cockroach Poker
Coup
For Sale (travel edition)
Get Bit!
Liar's Dice
Pairs
Pandemic: The Cure (to 5 players)
Qwixx (to 5 players)
Qwinto (to 5 players)
Roll For It! Deluxe Edition
Saboteur
Skull
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dorian Herman
Canada
flag msg tools
These have been some great suggestions. Thank you all so much, I am now on the look out for Pandemic the Cure as I think that would be a great game for us. Also I picked up Qwirkle travel edition as another fun small game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dorian Herman
Canada
flag msg tools
In just picked up Pademic the Cure. Is this a good fit for our trip? I was thinking that it's combination of small size and cooperitave play should work. Does anyone have any thoughts on this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve O'Grady
United States
Jacksonville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What my wife and I do is take one regular size box game, take out any inserts, and pack as many other games into that box as we can. This year we may take Deception: Murder in Hong Kong, then we will fill the box with Celestia, Codenames, and 1-2 others. In other years we have taken several scenarios of Lord of the Rings LCG, plus several premade decks to play them with. I used to play PC games on downtime days, now we play boardgames. And the Library is a great place to play. As is the buffet eating area during off hours (1-4p). Or some remote bar with tables that has little business during the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paula T
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sushi Go! plays up to 5, could be good for grandma and 13 year old / anyone new to games. Just a deck of cards. Kingdomino - you could also just bring tiles though only plays 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Jacobs
Canada
Yellowknife
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
mbmb
Actually my wife and I are going on vacation and trying to decide a few games to bring along.

Zombie dice are coming, its a great bar game any number of players basically, easy rules and who cares if the dice get sticky.

We may bring Cards Against Humanity as well. It will come down to space considerations. There is also a good gaming shop at our jump off point in Copenhangen so I can always pick something up before we leave.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dorianherman wrote:
In just picked up Pademic the Cure. Is this a good fit for our trip? I was thinking that it's combination of small size and cooperitave play should work. Does anyone have any thoughts on this game?

Yup, the game is easy to learn, great fun and ticks all your boxes. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.