Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Curtiss
United States
Dothan
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys, I do not own this game, but I do have Holdfast: Pacific 1941-45, which is based largely on this game. I'm having a tough time getting an answer to this question on the Holdfast: Pacific page so I figured I'd try here.

In Holdfast: Pacific when a ship is disabled it finishes its firing in the current combat round (if it hasn't already participated), but then must leave the battle board and return to the "nearest port or base". I am struggling with the nearest part of this since it may force a damaged and disabled ship to go to a base where repairs are not possible rather than to a port where repairs are possible. HF:P's rules are not super tight, and the designers have already said that they used port and base interchangeably, IMO not a good thing to have done.

I'm wondering whether VITP had the same rule for disabled ships (go to NEAREST port or base) or whether they had a choice of to what port or base they could return.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
Princeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VITP - Disabled ships can go to any adjacent(touch the battle sea zone/area) Green base or ANY Red port(unless the red port has restrictions).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
craig grinnell
United States
speer
Illinois
flag msg tools
Screaming Eagle and Damn Proud of it!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
In VITP, a disabled ship can return ONLY to a "green" base that is in or touching the sea zone the ship is in OR to any "Red" port that said ship is allowed to enter (no British in Australia or Pearl Harbor, no US in Ceylon)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Curtiss
United States
Dothan
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the super quick answers, guys! To follow up and make sure I get it please tell me if this is legal.

A USA ship is disabled in a battle in the Central Pacific sea zone. It can either go to Midway Island (only base in that zone, and only if still held by USA) or it may go to Pearl Harbor, or even Samoa, USA (assume they too are USA controlled) Ports. It does not have to go to Midway since it is closer than Pearl Harbor, or Pearl Harbor, since it is closer than Samoa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
craig grinnell
United States
speer
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gdnuke wrote:
Thanks for the super quick answers, guys! To follow up and make sure I get it please tell me if this is legal.

A USA ship is disabled in a battle in the Central Pacific sea zone. It can either go to Midway Island (only base in that zone, and only if still held by USA) or it may go to Pearl Harbor, or even Samoa, USA (assume they too are USA controlled) Ports. It does not have to go to Midway since it is closer than Pearl Harbor, or Pearl Harbor, since it is closer than Samoa.

Nope. does not have to go to Midway. And midway could be bad if the Japanese have carriers in the central pacific and win the zone because they could then air raid ships sitting at midway.
There is no USA in VITP, but the US ship could also go to Australia, Saigon, Singapore, Truk, or even Japan if under allied control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Curtiss
United States
Dothan
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Craig! Holdfast: Pacific 1941-45 and its sister Holdfast: Atlantic 1939-45, are good games and the fog of war from blocks is neat! It seems to me that when Worthington Games redid VITP and War at Sea like this, they were shooting for streamlined rules and simplicity, but may have gotten rid of some of the precision that comes with longer rules. They have responded to one question by saying, in effect, "just do it the way you did it in VITP." Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not unusual for the Worthies but at least you got a response!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Curtiss
United States
Dothan
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True, Steve! Actually, someone else got that (incomplete) response on the Holdfast: Pacific 1941-45 forum.

Quote:
Official Worthington Answer:

Disabled ships return to nearest friendly ports or bases just like in VITP. In the rules we use the terms ports and bases as one and the same regarding "where" ships return to when disabled, withdrawing, or returning at end of turn. Thanks for the questions.

I'm still waiting there, particularly about the word "nearest" in that response (since that is a new thing), but I got mine here, from you guys, and I'm grateful that this old classic has such devoted fans!
You could say it is Worthie of a remake! (with maybe a bit more love and attention paid to the clarity of the rules...)whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
craig grinnell
United States
speer
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get VITP... It's one of my favorites. Easy to learn, easier to play, but oh so challenging...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Curtiss
United States
Dothan
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may be right, Craig! I think one guy in my group has it, and I need to check it out. Do take a look at Holdfast: Pacific 1941-45 and Holdfast: Atlantic 1939-45. They are pretty faithful to the old games, and the blocks give a real nice and easy fog of war system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.