BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Fury of Dracula, Mansions of Madness or Eldritch Horror rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brock Burwell
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
I know these may be very different games, but I'm about to buy a new game and I can't decide on which to get.

Just so you know, my group has been playing Star Wars Rebellion, Dead of Winter and Pandemic Legacy lately so we aren't afraid of longer games.

I've been really wanting Fury of Dracula for a while now and I think my group would have a lot of fun with it. Replayability seems high and it looks like a blast. I've obviously heard a lot about Eldritch Horror and that seems like a lot of fun to play. I just recently heard about Mansions of Madness and that looks super interesting and seemingly drenched in theme.

Anyone have any suggestions on which direction I should go? Anyone have all of these games? Anyone have one or two of these games? Which ones do you play most? Any and all suggestions would be great! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig B
Australia
Mount Hawthorn
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get Fury of Dracula as it's out of print. The others will be in print for the next decade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T McC
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played Fury of Dracula and, as mentioned, it'll be hardest to acquire, so maybe that's the best pick for the long run. Both Mansions and Eldritch are great. I'd give the edge to Mansions because of how slick and fun the app is. We certainly play Mansions much more than Eldritch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brock Burwell
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
thinman13 wrote:
Haven't played Fury of Dracula and, as mentioned, it'll be hardest to acquire, so maybe that's the best pick for the long run. Both Mansions and Eldritch are great. I'd give the edge to Mansions because of how slick and fun the app is. We certainly play Mansions much more than Eldritch.

OK, Dracula seems like it may be the way to go.

In regards to MoM, do you find that it's fun to replay? I know there are only a few scenarios and I'm not sure how entertaining that would be to replay or if the game does a good job of making it different each time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Soderlund
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own all three. Since all three are FFG games there is some overlap as far as mechanics.

Fury of Dracula is different in that it is one vs. many (Dracula vs. the hunters). Play-wise it is fun and the mechanics of each hunter provide for different experiences so it does not get stale. If you can find a copy that is priced reasonably grab it. If you don't like it you will easily be able to trade for something as part of a math trade down the road.

Eldritch is also good. We always walk away after each game having a "story" to talk about. It can be brutally hard as well, but for my group that is part of the fun. This is co-op.

Mansions of Madness is similar in theme to Eldritch as it is part of the "Arkham" files universe. It plays differently, requires a lot of table real estate, has a ton of miniatures if you like that kind of thing, and the app works surprisingly well. The game starts out as co-op but some of the effects can change it so each player has different "win" conditions which makes for an interesting mechanic.

I like all three and feel you can't go wrong with any of them. Dracula is also nice in that if you get it you have "everything." Eldritch and Mansions both benefit from the expansions but they add up quickly as far as cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Soderlund
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spydervenom wrote:
thinman13 wrote:

OK, Dracula seems like it may be the way to go.

In regards to MoM, do you find that it's fun to replay? I know there are only a few scenarios and I'm not sure how entertaining that would be to replay or if the game does a good job of making it different each time.

MoM replay value is good as the general goal of each scenario is defined but what the app throws at you as well as how the story unfolds results in a unique experience. There is also variability by replaying using a different investigator as they each have unique abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.