Subject: New player, solo, questions. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
robert kalin
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played DnD 3.5 and there are many elements of this game that makes me ask questions even after two solo plays.
A. Attack of opportunity, does implementation of this break the rules?
B. If a tile has a trap must all passing over the tile stop movement, then try to disable. Or can it be ignored?
C. Movement always stops at edge of tile, or can it be explored and moved onto simultaneously?
D. Treasure cards that play during hero phase; before, during, or after?
E. Movement. 3.5 had orthogonal 1mp but diagonally 1.5mp. Does this still work?
F. Ravenloft has no doors. Any custom implementation for it without buying other sets?
G. Any 1980's style rules for this with integrated faqs?
H. Solo rules seem only to mention playing multiple heroes and not much else. Any unofficial solo rules that help in this context?
I. Any nice soundscapes to play during gameplay?
G. The use of only a single d20 makes me miss the polyhedrials variety. I know how it's made does not bend well to such alterations. Has anyone attempted this?
H. Part of me daydreams Dragonfire could integrate into this. 😁

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rkcpek wrote:
I played DnD 3.5 and there are many elements of this game that makes me ask questions even after two solo plays.
Caveat #1: This ain't D&D.

rkcpek wrote:
A. Attack of opportunity, does implementation of this break the rules?
Kinda. If you use it so that the player gets free swings at the monsters then it'll make the game too easy. If you use it so that the player gets attacked even more, then it'll make the game too hard. Note that the monsters DON'T move by squares (they "teleport") so there's really not much of an opportunity for AoO.

rkcpek wrote:
B. If a tile has a trap must all passing over the tile stop movement, then try to disable. Or can it be ignored?
I don't remember CR traps but I think that it affects everyone (not monsters) and can't be ignored.

rkcpek wrote:
C. Movement always stops at edge of tile, or can it be explored and moved onto simultaneously?
Nope. Well, movement doesn't *stop* at the edge of a tile, you can move *along* the edge of a tile. But once the hero stops moving and has made their other action (attack, another move action) the Hero Phase is over and the Exploration Phase begins.

rkcpek wrote:
D. Treasure cards that play during hero phase; before, during, or after?
I believe "yes" is the correct answer. Note that this must be *during* the Hero Phase, not the Exploration or Villain Phases (I'm pretty sure).

rkcpek wrote:
E. Movement. 3.5 had orthogonal 1mp but diagonally 1.5mp. Does this still work?
Not in the D&DAGS world. All movement by squares is 1mp. You can add it in and see what happens but it'll slow you down and make the game harder. Could combine it with AoO and see how that works?

rkcpek wrote:
F. Ravenloft has no doors. Any custom implementation for it without buying other sets?
Use the doors from your old copy of HeroQuest? Or Dungeon Saga? Pick a rule for them (every exit directly opposite the black and/or white arrow is a door?) and give it a whirl.

rkcpek wrote:
G. Any 1980's style rules for this with integrated faqs?
I doubt it. Someone else will have to answer this one. Most of the stuff I've seen has all been v4 and v5 stuff. Make something up and post it here.

rkcpek wrote:
H. Solo rules seem only to mention playing multiple heroes and not much else. Any unofficial solo rules that help in this context?
Nope. That's pretty much it. What sort of extra stuff are you looking for?

rkcpek wrote:
I. Any nice soundscapes to play during gameplay?
Sure. Post 'em here when you find 'em.

rkcpek wrote:
G. The use of only a single d20 makes me miss the polyhedrials variety. I know how it's made does not bend well to such alterations. Has anyone attempted this?
More than likely. Unless you want to implement more complicated HP values (listed x10?) there's not much use for dN's for combat. Could add d% for various random things happening.

rkcpek wrote:
H. Part of me daydreams Dragonfire could integrate into this. 😁
So? Do it! Then post it here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert kalin
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thank you for all the great answers. I don't play as often as I would hope and so a print out of the over-indexd, all questions answered 1980's style rules are always helpfully. Still hopefull.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EverywhereGames wrote:
rkcpek wrote:
I don't remember CR traps but I think that it affects everyone (not monsters) and can't be ignored.

Addendum would be that traps don't stop movement so your hero can move through the tile where the trap is without stopping. In that sense, they can be "ignored". Some traps can be safely "ignored" in this way as when the trap triggers, there is no-one on the tile to be damaged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soundscape
i use amazon music but also on youtube
guy/person called: brunuhville

https://www.youtube.com/user/BrunuhVille

Celtic fantasy type stuff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.