11 Posts

BattleCON: Devastation of Indines» Forums » General

Subject: Worth it for solo only? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weird question, maybe, but this looks cool and I don't have a guaranteed opponent.

So, are the solo missions, etc worth getting this game for?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really, to be honest. But if you have Tabletop Simulator you can find online opponents via the official Discord channel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Auld
United States
Windsor
California
flag msg tools
Smile!
badge
Smile!
mbmbmbmbmb
No. It's unfortunately not worth getting for solo play.

However, BattleCON Online is currently in the works...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Deal
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Is there any idea on when BCO will actually be available? It seems like it's been in the works for as long as I've been aware of Battlecon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antony Tran
Australia
Redfern
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its getting there slowly. There was a complete overhaul in the last two months. The developer for Pixel Tactics Online is now in charge of the project and we've seen some of the screens and they look amazing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read that 7th Cross will be mostly a dungeon crawl...

Will there also be pvp?

This might not be the right forum...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurizio Briosi
Italy
Rovereto
Rovereto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played Battlecon my coop/solo version of it is actually another game: Gloomhaven.
The only downside is the pricing, and the fact that it is a dungeon crawler more than a fighting game but for solo is really good.

And it has a similar idea of choose 2 cards, but opponents react more dinamically than the dungeon and you have a nice complement of items/scenarios ... as well as character progression.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
taekwondeal wrote:
Is there any idea on when BCO will actually be available? It seems like it's been in the works for as long as I've been aware of Battlecon.

They did the smart thing and trashed most of their work because it was, and I say this as someone who backed the kickstarter, tried the beta, and loves BattleCON, total fucking garbage.

Rather than release a pile of poop that would make everyone angry they decided to wait and release a non-pile that works. Like, I'm normally not in favor of trashing a working program in favor of a complete overhaul, but when your netcode is non-functional in a game with no realtime components, you don't have a functional program (the problem being that Doom had better netcode. The original one). Functional netcode in turn based games is the kind of thing that CS majors do as a senior project.

Someone approached them to design a pixel tactics game, and in one month had a functional and professional looking pixel tactics setup that you wouldn't be surprised to see from a high end mobile developer or decently funded indie studio. They looked at that, looked at BattleCON and said "ah, that's what we're doing wrong. Everything."

Honestly, kudos to them for having the guts to admit that what they had was a failure and try again, rather than sticking to the sunk cost fallacy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Brad seems like a pleasant and intelligent person. I'm really looking forward to Exceed 7th Cross and Seventh Cross itself, whatever that turns out to be.

Just trying to find a way to justify picking up BC-Deva in the meantime, as I know my wife is not going to want to learn two fighting systems, even if the second one is easier; and I really don't feel like getting into the whole online thing.

Decisions...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Just trying to find a way to justify picking up BC-Deva in the meantime, as I know my wife is not going to want to learn two fighting systems, even if the second one is easier; and I really don't feel like getting into the whole online thing.

If this is the use case, you should either pick up War Remastered (enough content, up-to-date rules and balance for the most part, simplest Flight 1 in the game); or wait for Exceed Season 2 to drop (easier to teach, but S1 has some questionable art, and the lack of reference cards can lead to frustrating surprises that can deter a person from exploring further).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, what is the solo component of this game like? Anyone tried it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.