Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Campbell
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Gage's Gambit 1775

I've played Liberty Or Death 4x over the past few days and love it. In an effort to speed gameplay in our 4 player matches each of us has focused on playing 1 faction (myself taking British with my non wargaming friend as Natives).

Since we are new to the game and the series we did not conclude the first 3 matches as we were still learning the rules and nuances of gameplay ( we managed 2 years first 2 games then 3 then the 4th ended in British victory in the year 1779.

In 3 of our games we had massed forces squared off in Mass. vs Boston with usually 11 regulars on each side sitting in stalemate not wanting to risk losing a fight there. Washington plus a fort with almost minimal forces to defend takes considerable forces to assault (at least 6 cubes plus leader). At any rate, it's dicey. I've come to the conclusion rebel forts must be swiftly identified and destroyed or else they churn out continentals at a prodigious rate and neutralizing them head on is near folly.

I have studied an opening strategy for the Royalists and have decided to call it Gage's Gambit. It's aggressive as can be but has some very positive benefits at the expense of costing you your Brilliant strokes.

" Morgan's Rifles" (1/11)
Trumped by Brilliant Stroke! (Natives)
1. Northwest Territory-Joseph Brant plus 2 war parties march to NY colony currently under The crown's control the deftly evade the militia eyes and go undetected.
2. Scout- 1 war party plus 1 regular plus 1 Tory to Mass. militia active. War party active. British Regular skirmishes against militia and continental. all to casualties.
3. Special activity: WarPath in NY Colony -eliminates militia

Massachusetts in Royalist control at active opposition.

"Cherokee Supplied by British" (2/11)
Trumped by Brilliant Stroke! (British)
1. Muster-Boston 6 regulars plus 2 loyalist in Boston free shift in support due to Gage (I assume Gage leader ability trumps the card text here). Boston active support.
2. March - Boston to Mass. 3 Regulars plus 2 Loyalists
3. Special action- Skirmish in Mass. removing Rebel fort and 1 regular

CRC:2
CBC:2
French prep:2

Washington displaces to Virginia

Notes: British strategy is to make a unified force coming out of the north securing Canada, eliminating Mass. fort and linking up with Natives for combined forces which are much more effective than Brits alone. Britain will have minimum 3 opportunities prior to winter to use garrison to lock down the cities for supplies in WQ of which we have promised our native allies 3 so they can go heavy on raids into plunder.
Native strategy is to possibly build a village in NY colony and start creating war parties to assist in scout ability and Joseph Brant warpath ability. (2 of my games I built up Quebec with 2 villages and a host of Indians but was difficult to get combined arms in play). This way I already have combined armies in NY and Mass plus ability to get villages going in Quebec, NY colony and either SW or Florida in the future.

We are still currently playing out the match and I'll try to update as best I can.
Please let me know if I made any errors in interpreting the cards or the way the actions were played out thus far.
Thanks!
John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Campbell
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Year 1 continued.......

"Minister Comte de Vergennes" (3/11)
France - event Patriot resources: 6
French resources: 7
Britain- command - Garrison - Boston 3 regular to Philadelphia -activates militia
1 regular -Norfolk, Charlestown
Mass colony 1 regular to savannah
Special- skirmish - eliminate militia in Philadelphia

"French Navy dominates Caribbean " (4/11)
Patriots - Command - Rally -militia in Virginia, N Carolina, Philadelphia
Partisans - remove 2 British in Philadelphia, 1 militia
Patriot resources: 3
CBC: 4
French prep:4

Natives- command : build village at Ny colony

"Torres Tested" (5/11)
Britain- 3 loyalists to NY colony
France- French agent mobilization 2 militia in Mass.
Prepar la Guerre 3 regulars available
French resources:6
French prep: 7

"Martha Washington to valley Forge" (6/11)
Patriots- event
Natives- gather -in Ny colony (2)
Trade- Britain transfer 3 resources to Natives (next card is #63)
Patriot resource: 8
Native resource : 3
Britain resource: 1

"Free and Spanish besiege Gibraltar " (7/11)
France: French agent mobilization -2 militia in Ny colony
Prepar la guerre- 3 regulars to available
French resource: 5
French prep: 10

Britain: march - Gage, regular from Boston to Mass activates 1 Militia there (next card #6)
Britain resource:0

"Benedict Arnold"
Patriot: Command- Rally Virginia -1 continental, Rally Maryland 1 militia, Rally S Carolina 1 militia
Special- persuade- Maryland, N Carolina, S Carolina

Natives: Gather in Florida 1 war party

"Chicsaw Ally with the British"
"Winter Quarters"

Notes: As the British player writing this, things are not going as planned I fear. There were a few maneuver I had to do based off of upcoming cards (Benedict Arnold and the French/Spanish at Gibraltar being 2 distinct cards I wanted to avoid). I was looking at loss of 5 resources so I traded to Natives and fulfilled our agreement then I feared losing my entire contingent aT Boston.

The French seem intent on raising partisans to bleed my forces with Patriot militia, I need a better way to ferret them out.

Patriots look like they will be able to build a fort at Virginia soon. I'll have to muster on it but they still hold their Trump card.

Cheers,
J

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott D
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John,

I enjoy reading various strategies that people like to try in this game. The creativity and experimentation is quite fun to me.

I have not played as the British, so take this with that in mind. I do not see this being a particularly viable strategy in the long run. While you were able to push Washington out of New York and Massachusetts, you gained nothing in terms of CRC vs. CBC or in terms of Support, meaning you aren't really any closer to victory. Since the Patriots can Rally as long as no Active Support, I think they could easily return to the north, especially if you have to divert attention to attack a Fort in VA.

May I ask why you are so concerned with Patriot Forts? Leave that to your Indian ally. You need the Patriots to develop Continentals since you cannot generate CRC on the Militia. The most vulnerable Continentals are those without Washington, especially if you have your leader present.

Finally, it is hardly ever a good idea to use the Brilliant Stroke card during 1775, and I cannot picture any situation in which I'd do so on the opening card of the game. Take your playthrough, for instance; both Royalist factions have lost their Brilliant Stroke cards, and you aren't particularly close to victory. The "benefit" of clearing the Patriots out of the north doesn't seem worth this tradeoff in my view.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
JohnCampbell wrote:
1. Muster-Boston 6 regulars plus 2 loyalist in Boston free shift in support due to Gage (I assume Gage leader ability trumps the card text here). Boston active support.

I don't understand this comment. What part of the Brilliant Stroke text is it you assume that Gage's Leader ability trumps?

I see three big drawbacks with this opening. The first one you have already mentioned yourself: you have burned both the Royalist Brilliant Strokes already, and the Rebellion still have all three of theirs in hand. That's a huge advantage for the Rebellion for the rest of the game.

The second drawback is that you have effectively hobbled the Indians for the entire first Campaign by moving Brant's War Parties into the Colonies too soon. It costs the Indians Resources to execute Commands in the Colonies - but they don't have any Resources yet, so the War Parties in NY and MA are currently unable to do anything. The British can only give Resources to the Indians if the Indians conduct a Trade Special Activity - but in order to Trade they need an Underground War Party at a Village, and they don't have any Villages yet. If the Indians haven't either gained some Resources or built a Village or two in the Colonies before the Winter comes (and barring Events they can't build Villages in the Colonies without first getting Resources), the War Parties in NY and MA will relocate back to the Indian Reserve in the Supply Phase... Because of this, the Indians will most likely spend the rest of this Campaign alternating between Passing for Resources and Gather to eventually build a Village (NY is a good place, but right now it is very vulnerable to a coordinated Rebellion counterattack) and won't be able to help you fight the Patriots anytime soon.

The third drawback is that you have only secured one single space from the Patriots so far, and that space is only Pop-1: Boston. Everywhere else, the Patriots (and in some places the French as well) can plop down Militia whenever they like... and in most spaces even a single Militia gives them instant Control, allowing them to Rabble-Rouse there with impunity on their next Command. Unless the British spread out to contest the southern Pop-2 Colonies very soon, the Patriots could potentially win the war on the first Winter card using the Rabble-Rousing+Persuasion combo.

TL;DR: you have spent the Royalists' two most powerful cards and disrupted the early-war Indian buildup, and in return for all this you have destroyed one Patriot Fort. All things considered, I don't think that's a very good trade for the Royalists

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
JohnCampbell wrote:
"French Navy dominates Caribbean " (4/11)
(...)
Natives- command : build village at Ny colony

Nope. Gather in NY costs 1 Resource, and the Indians have 0 Resources.

Quote:
"Martha Washington to valley Forge" (6/11)
(...)
Natives- gather -in Ny colony (2)
Trade- Britain

Nope. There is no Village on the map yet (see above) so they can't Trade for Resources, and with no Resources they still can't Gather in NY...

Regards,
Oerjan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Campbell
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hi Oerjan,

Thanks for the input. You were correct in your assessments. we haven't much experience yet in the game and we're using the quick notes a lot to facilitate gameplay it had to be a reserve for it to be 0 cost. We were reading it as the first time as free. Thanks.

1 of our players goes kinda slow so we have played with a sand timer to try to keep things moving at the expense of rifling through a rulebook every 5 minutes.

So in most gameplay, the Royalist faction leaves Mass fairly unmolested in the early war? It's nearly impossible to take them head on early. My concern is in our first few games which were rife with mistakes mind you we always had this build up of forces like some Ancient Greek battleline just waiting for the other to advance.

Is there an efficient method of dealing with underground militia? Usually I try to skirmish them at 0 to 1 to prevent casualties (I am a casualty adverse player in most games preferring to win the exchange ratio). That said, it seems easy for the rebels to raise militia in several theatres and by the time you get there they can partisan attack you at 1-2 which doesn't reflect on rebel casualties but does on Royalist casualties so anytime I see rebel militia in provinces with my guys I try to wipe them out immediately.

Thanks for the swift responses, we are going to reset and try to squeeze in a new game due to errors in gameplay.

Cheers,
John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Campbell
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Oh, on the text in the card it says "Reward loyalty is not free" but if you limit command with Gage using Brilliant Stroke it should be free in the muster space correct? Since his ability is first shift free or is that not correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Campbell
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Scott,

Your comments are correct as well. I am rethinking strategy to make the most of opportunities to win battles as a means to swing support then in winter quarter to "buy off" support in cities. From what I can tell, there isn't much other way to influence the colonies outside of those 2 options and events plus Native raids on colonies that are in opposition.

I really think it is important to get some early resources to the Indians while Brant is their leader because he is good for an extra kill on warpath and native losses don't reflect on the CBC.

Anyway, I love trying to develop strategies outside of the common routine and giving them a go even if they go down in flames like this one

Too bad there wasn't a leader loss table or else it might be worth it to take George W down....

Cheers,
J
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott D
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnCampbell wrote:
Oh, on the text in the card it says "Reward loyalty is not free" but if you limit command with Gage using Brilliant Stroke it should be free in the muster space correct? Since his ability is first shift free or is that not correct?

Yes, the first shift of Reward Loyalty per time is always free in the space with Gage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott D
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnCampbell wrote:
Too bad there wasn't a leader loss table or else it might be worth it to take George W down....

I'm imagining the next leader up for the Patriots. Two options come to mind:

1. Benedict Arnold: British at any time may pay 5 Resources. Immediately remove all Patriots pieces in the space and make a Patriots Leader Change.

then...

2. Charles Lee: No Patriot March or Battle in the space. Patriots may pay 5 Resources to redeploy Lee to Northwest Province, even without Patriots pieces there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
JohnCampbell wrote:
So in most gameplay, the Royalist faction leaves Mass fairly unmolested in the early war?

Once Washington has built up his army a bit it is a convenient target for suicide single-Regular March+Skirmish incursions. You can also neutralize the Fort by turning MA to Active Support, though that usually costs a lot of Resources even with Gage present to placate the locals.

Quote:
Is there an efficient method of dealing with underground militia?

Efficient? No, not really. There are some expensive and cumbersome methods; e.g., Active Support prevents Militia from being Rallied or Mobilized in a space, and British Control makes it harder for them to act politically there (and prevents them from Marching into Cities Underground). The Indians can kill Underground Militia, but only in one space at a time and they usually want something from the British in return.

You may want to remind the Patriots that influcting too many British Casualties will hand victory to the French, though. Forts +3 -Villages can never exceed 9 and is usually lower than that, but there is no limit to CBC or CRC.

Quote:
Usually I try to skirmish them at 0 to 1 to prevent casualties

You can't Skirmish Underground Militia, though; they have to be Activated first.

If there are two or more Active Militia in a single space, Battle is often a better way to remove them than Skirmish is.

Regards,
Oerjan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
JohnCampbell wrote:

Ah, you're right.

Yes, Gage's ability still works; the card text is intended as a reminder that the Muster rule (3.2.1) requires Reward Loyalty to be paid for even during free Commands.

Regards,
Oerjan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Buchanan
United States
RSF
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnCampbell wrote:
Gage's Gambit 1775

We are still currently playing out the match and I'll try to update as best I can.
Please let me know if I made any errors in interpreting the cards or the way the actions were played out thus far.
Thanks!
John

Hello John and thank you for sharing the narrative. Your in good hands with Oerjan so I wont get into the execution but it looks like you guys are deeply engaged which does my heart good!

My standing advice is for all players is to play the victory conditions! And for the Patriots, don't ignore the frontier war!

HB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.